PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hull question

boarder3304
04-26-2015, 09:42 AM
I drilled thru hulls the other day and got them in, valves installed, and hoses hooked up. However, I did notice that as the nut got tight at the end, the whole thru hull started to spin. Question is, is this ok? Is it going to leak because it isn't tight enough? If I need to tighten, how do I keep it from spinning? They are the 1" mushrooms from Wakemakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
04-26-2015, 09:59 AM
The tightness isn't what keeps then from leaking, the 5200 does. Stick a large chisel or something in the bottom side there's a notch. You need 2 people..

MLA
04-26-2015, 10:37 AM
I drilled thru hulls the other day and got them in, valves installed, and hoses hooked up. However, I did notice that as the nut got tight at the end, the whole thru hull started to spin. Question is, is this ok? Is it going to leak because it isn't tight enough? If I need to tighten, how do I keep it from spinning? They are the 1" mushrooms from Wakemakers.

If the sealer was still fresh and uncured, yes, its ok for it to spin as the sealer acts like a lube when uncured. Often times, the whole assembly needs to be turned, in order to allow for the ball valve handle to rotate. Once all is set in place, but a final turn on the t-hull jam nut and let the sealer cure. Shouldnt turn after that.

Without a thru-hull tool, it can be hard to hold the thru-hull while tightening the nut.

sivs1
04-26-2015, 10:46 AM
The thru-hull I used also had four bolts besides the 1" nut, so I drilled the big hole first then lined up everything and drilled the other four. The 5200 kept everything in place and the four additional bolts kept the thru-hull from turning. Post up some pics of your project, sounds similar to my IBS project.

bergermaister
04-26-2015, 10:18 PM
1/2" breaker bar oblong handle (or similar), crank the nut down snug. Wipe the excess 5200 that oozes out around the edge. Done.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070045.jpg

chadjitsu1
04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
I would try to get that nut tight, more than likely too late now though. Maybe it wont leak

boarder3304
04-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I had my dad help me the other day. We were able to tighten it down some more. However, at that point, the sealant had cured for 5 days. So, I guess we will see once I get her in the water. I am hoping that is tomorrow. Fingers crossed that there are no leaks.

parrothd
04-30-2015, 08:08 PM
If you moved it after it cured it's probably going to leak..

boarder3304
04-30-2015, 09:01 PM
I guess we will see. If it does, I'll pull them out, do the sealant again and hold from underneath when tightening.

boarder3304
05-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Put the boat in the water today. Thru hulls did not leak. Huge relief there. Will just keep an eye on them this summer to be sure. However, when Wakemakers sent me the kit, they included an extra section of hose as I was also adding an IBS. I didn't use this section of hose until I got to the end and was running from the thru hulls to the pumps. The extra hose they sent was 1 1/8", not 1". So, I thought if I wrenched on the hose clamps tight enough, I may be OK. I was wrong, opened those valves and leakage everywhere. I'd already contacted Wakemakers and they are sending me the correct 1" hose to replace their mistake. So...another week before I can test all the pumps. I did have one pump hooked up with 1" hose, and holy crap is it fast compared to the old stock GIII system!