PDA

View Full Version : 06 Mobius LSV

DMR
05-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Any suggestions on creating the perfect wakesurfing wake in an 06 LSV?. We have two ballasts in the back (350 each) and the stock one in the middle of the boat. We have tried a few configurations to no avail. Just cant find the sweet spot!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

mtvfiremedic
05-30-2006, 09:40 AM
OK... only fill the side you are surfing on and the front. it works best if you surf drivers side and surfer faces the wake.. due to prop rotation. it works ok on the other side .. we do it for those that ride that side but the wake is not as good. HAVE EVERYONE sit on that side and (if you can get away with it.. sit as far out on the side as possible to sink that corner in... we use a separate rope to the pylon for that person to hang onto..but watch out for the lake police. they frown on that.. and the person should wear a vest just in case.)
If possible get ANOTHER 600 lb sac for the floor of the back of the boat - we pull the seat out and move it to the middle and put the sac on the floor there - unless we have like 5-6 people then we just use them
Must use perfect pass it's way to hard to keep the boat at 10.5 mph (the speed we found works best and gets the biggest wake.
Also DO NOT let the boat plane - ie keep it nose up and slow - less than 12mph
so go configure your weight and test drive to find the perfect speed (should be around 9.5-11.5 mph) and then put a surfer there.
Hope it helps..

04moblsv
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I have a 04 lsv we fill the center ballast and the rear on the side the rider is on. have everyone in the boat sit to the side rider is on. put the beer cooler on that side also. little extra weight. couple of times forgot to put the wakeplate all the way up that washes out the wave bad. deeper the water the better the wave is also.

Chief Hawkeye
06-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Just got done surfing with or 03 LSV. We can throw a belly-button high wake if we weight it right. We have a custom sac in the back (750#), fill the middle ski locker (600#), and place one extra bag (300#) on the back port side after we slide the stadium seat forward about six inches (helps the sac stay put, other wise it usually falls off the seats and goes more into the middle of the boat.) We usually go about 9.4 to 9.7 mph, but don't use perfect pass because it is not that accurate at the low speeds on our boat, and find it easier to just throttle manually. We also have everyone sit on that side of the boat. Sometimes we place a 300# sac in the walkway as well as everything else, that seems to not affect the height of the wake, but make it longer so you can get more speed on the surfer to do tricks. Let me know if you have any questions about this, I would be happy to help if I can.

potenza
06-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Just tried wakesurfing for the first time this weekend. Used my new 06 LSV. also used an old windsurf board.

After playing around a lot I used full ballast and leaned on the one side. Worked well both sides. I think the secret is in the driving. You need to drive in a big circle.

Worked fine. I was suprised at hoe far back on the wave you actualy surf at. Amazing.

futuredeadguy
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
It sure is good to see all this information on a very fun behind-the-boat sport. We just started wakesurfing again and it is a blast.

Back in the day (late 70s), we'd fight each other for the record on who could get the most people up on our classic G&S 10 footer behind the Nautique - WITH a rope of course. Most we ever got was four - mostly kids. Every time we tried five, the guy in front holding the rope kept having his forearms burst into flames just before the last person was standing.

ONE person on a board like that was cool, though. You could surf without a rope on almost any boat available. I'd love to pick up a new lightweight longboard for use behind my Mobius. It's throwing enough height for some roller coaster and board walking that was never possible behind our old Nautique.

Would love to try a new school board, too. Right now we're using my 7'-3 and it's working pretty well. Now to find a place in Nashville that sells wax. The stick-on grips are something I'll never get used to.

Jim

futuredeadguy
06-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by potenza

After playing around a lot I used full ballast and leaned on the one side. Worked well both sides. I think the secret is in the driving. You need to drive in a big circle.

Potenza, I think you're right. I'm sure there are tons of combinations of circumstances that will produce the ideal wave, but a turn seems to produce a bowl that more replicates a natural wave.

After all, an ideal surfing wave approaches the shore at an angle, and the breaking portion is moving slower than the cresting portion. That condition is the same as is created in a slow turn behind the boat.

I'm not an expert on wakesurfing, but have surfed in the ocean since 1974. This video illustrates the principle - notice that the rider gets the most slack in the rope when the boat starts to turn to port: http://home.comcast.net/~37215/GeoffSurfing.wmv

[this video was originally posted on another thread - I deleted the thread to post here]

Jim