PDA

View Full Version : Transmission and V-Drive Fluid change

JHutch
04-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I have searched and not found anything that shows exactly how to do this. I thought about taking it to the dealer but the closest Inboard dealer is 2 hrs away.

So my question is how hard is this to do? I change all my own engine oils in everything so I would say I have basic mechanical knowledge. Also what are the intervals this should be done? My boat is an 08 with 190 hours, I am the second owner and want to do this so I know it has been done and I wont worry about it anymore.

Thanks!

John H.

DOCDRS
04-23-2015, 09:37 PM
You should look into the how to section there are videos and instructions in there. its the third item down....this is the diy section for a lot of different items. There are videos of most service items. Not sure how this can be missed? sorry for any sarcasm , but it is there staring you in the face and you really don't have to look far for this information. It comes up all the the time and thats why that section was created.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10977-Transmission-and-Vdrive-Service

d

rdlangston13
04-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Just did this, took forever to get one quart of fluid out of the Vdrive!

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
04-23-2015, 10:39 PM
closest Inboard dealer is 2 hrs away. how hard is this to do? I change all my own engine oils in everything so I would say I have basic mechanical knowledge. Also what are the intervals this should be done?

You have plenty enough skill and experience to do this. You need proper equipment. A pump that will extract the fluids out of the dipstick holes is best. Some use the drain hose that hangs up in the bilge and take it out that way. Many of us extract right out of the top.

Intervals are in your manual. If you don't have one, look at the top of this page under "About Moomba", then click on "Archive" and find your year, model and manual. Some change once a season (50 hrs or so) and others more than that depending on heavier use.

Personally, I change engine oil and filter, V-drive oil and transmission fluid every season. I put around 50 hrs. on the boat per year. Once or twice I have done a mid-season oil change as well if our weather was good enough for heavier use.