PDA

View Full Version : Middle Floor Plug...

BrettLee3232
04-23-2015, 01:49 AM
Is there any good reason why I shouldn't have my upholstery guy cut out a circle in the carpet for my floor plug? I know its first world problems but I hate unsnapping my carpet to get to it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
04-23-2015, 02:22 AM
When they first came out with them in 2010 they came with a floor plug.

So technically speaking no reason you can't.

I personally do not remove the center unless its the end of the season, or I am going to travel out of state so I pass inspections.

I also at the end of the season will dump a gallon of Simple green into my bilge, disable the bilge and let the simple green slosh around while I pull my boat home. Then I drain it at home using the center plug.

BrettLee3232
04-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Last 2 trips my center plug has had water in it.

mmandley
04-23-2015, 02:36 AM

It should because its the lowest point in the hull.

I am just saying during the normal season I don't worry about the water in it. My bilge will pump it out when needed, but at the end I do drain it all.

I have removed the Rear plug on both my boats and hardly anything comes out, so I just stop caring basically LOL.

When I travel though I pull the drain plugs, so If I hit an inspection station they generally don't harass me.

Since my boat is in the water 2-3x a week I don't worry about the center plug.

Now if your wanting to drain it every time I completely get your idea. If I was dedicated enough to pull it out after each trip then I would want an access there as well. I on the other hand know I would forget and be panicking as water was rushing in my boat LOL.

The same plastic cover we have now under the carpet is the same plug they used in 2010 before removable carpet though.

Maybe you could just cut a U in the carpet, then add velcro to the 3 sides. Then just pull it up, pop that plastic cover and access the plug?

kaneboats
04-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Maybe you could just cut a U in the carpet, then add velcro to the 3 sides. Then just pull it up, pop that plastic cover and access the plug?

That is a dang good idea! Make sure you face the uncut part up wind.

samvq1
04-23-2015, 08:32 AM

How much water? When I had the speedometer service bulletin applied the thru hull didn't seal correctly. I got caught in heavy rain on the way home from that repair so I thought water was settling to the lowest point. After two or three times I was still getting significant water in the bilge. Even if no one was in the water I would have about an inch of water in the bilge. My pump would cycle about every 20 minutes or so. Just something to check if you don't know where the water is coming from.

kaneboats
04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
I was getting tons last year and couldn't figure it out. Had a cracked (aerator) empty pump so every time I emptied my center bag it was filling the bilge. Just happened to open the locker door to check the level and noticed a big stream peeing right out of the top of the pump. Was glad to find it.

Woody929
04-23-2015, 10:17 AM
I actually pull the center plug after every outing. The wardens are big here about transporting water from lake to lake because of the Zebra Muscles, and won't hesitate to give you a nice ticket because of it.

uniwarking
04-23-2015, 01:09 PM
I actually pull the center plug after every outing. The wardens are big here about transporting water from lake to lake because of the Zebra Muscles, and won't hesitate to give you a nice ticket because of it.

+1
Keep mine open when not in the water... I like a dry bilge. My boat also sits outside so if anything gets past the cover it makes its way to the bilge.

Zebra muscles are a big concern here as well, you can expect at least one annual inspection.

mmandley
04-23-2015, 08:25 PM
I'd have to say 90% of my bilge water is Oso and people getting in and out..

Couple times I have noticed my bilge come on more then expected and I have found a bag leaking before, found my drain line leaking <LSV> so I pay attention to it but not real concerned.

We did get some pretty heavy rains last year in Oct when I still had the boat outside and covered, I didn't have the cover all the way down to the base of the tower so I think water was catching inside and draining into the boat, this caused my bilge to run until my house battery was dead. Never had that happen, then I had a meldew break out. Man I was furious. Mostly at myself for leaving her outside. Still working on cleaning all that mildew out. Its the worst cleaning it off all the V drive area, all the hoses and pumps I have there.

Woody929
04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
We did get some pretty heavy rains last year in Oct when I still had the boat outside and covered, I didn't have the cover all the way down to the base of the tower so I think water was catching inside and draining into the boat, this caused my bilge to run until my house battery was dead. Never had that happen, then I had a meldew break out. Man I was furious. Mostly at myself for leaving her outside. Still working on cleaning all that mildew out. Its the worst cleaning it off all the V drive area, all the hoses and pumps I have there.

Another reason while I pull mine. I don't have the luxury of indoor storage, covered yes, but not garage. It doesn't take anything to remove/add it back so I just do it. Every. Single. Time.

rdlangston13
04-23-2015, 10:19 PM
I'd have to say 90% of my bilge water is Oso and people getting in and out..

Couple times I have noticed my bilge come on more then expected and I have found a bag leaking before, found my drain line leaking <LSV> so I pay attention to it but not real concerned.

You mean there is not supposed to be a layer of mildew covering everything in the bilge??

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
04-24-2015, 12:56 AM
You mean there is not supposed to be a layer of mildew covering everything in the bilge??

Sent from my iPhone

lol that's funny.

Woody you can bet I will be pulling that center plug when I park the boat on the RV pad from now on. Was a hard lesson learned.

Dave, odley enough in my LSV I had a lot more mildew stains in the V drive area, I think thats because its a smaller space and the heat of the engine seemed more intense and mildew grew much faster.

In the Mojo the area is a lot larger, more air flow and I don't tend to see as much in this boat. Until last year that is lol.

It helps that me are not 100+ all the dam time. We have nice 80s days and still see 50 at night so its harder for mildew to grow. I would expect more if I lived in your climate.