PDA

View Full Version : Middle/Bow Ballast Not Working

jntMobiusLSV
04-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Took our boat out for 1st time this spring the other day. I only filled the middle/bow ballast, or I thought I filled it? I forgot to empty the ballast before loading boat back onto the trailer. I remembered I didn't empty the ballast the next day so when I flipped the switch to empty it there was no sound and no water emptying. I'm not sure if it ever turned on to fill the ballast because we were cruising about 20mph when I flipped the "fill ballast" switch so I couldn't hear if the ballast was ever actually filling. The side ballasts both turn on fine when I press the "empty or fill" switch but for some reason the middle ballast doesn't even turn on to "empty or fill." I looked under the dash at the switch wiring and everything was connected properly without any loose wires. It looks like the ballast switches are all hard wired to the battery without any fuses. Any ideas why the middle ballast stopped working??

The_Robo_Fighter
04-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear. Took my 13' LSV out this season and had the same problem. Rear ballasts fill/drain with no problem. Nothing from the bow. Took it to the dealership, and after a lot of trouble shooting, I'm buying a pump and relay assembly. Dealership claims a bad pump likely damaged the relay. Both parts are pretty expensive. Super bummed!

mmandley
04-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Sometimes you can get Air Locked.

What I always do is the first time out, get up to 21mph and hit all three pumps to prime them up.

This was always an issue with the older areator style, not as much of an issue with the Reversables but can still be an issue.

In your V drive Port side is a false panel and all the pumps are in there, you can look for fuses, relay and also the control module is there.

Sorry about your luck man.

While your at is I would add the Green impellers to all your pumps.

trayson
04-22-2015, 10:43 PM
While your at is I would add the Green impellers to all your pumps.

My understanding is that the orange impellers are the newest and best...

http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump-orange-impeller.html

mmandley
04-23-2015, 01:05 AM
My understanding is that the orange impellers are the newest and best...

http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump-orange-impeller.html

Those are the Johnson

I think our boats come from the factory with Jabsco

http://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-puppy-green-neoprene-impeller.html

Beejwest
04-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Sometimes you can get Air Locked.

What I always do is the first time out, get up to 21mph and hit all three pumps to prime them up.

I find 88mph works better. Sorry 'bout all you fellers with sissy boats that can't hit time travel speeds.

jntMobiusLSV
04-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Will troubleshoot with the ideas y'all gave me. Let ya know how it turns out. Hopefully it's not the "new pump and relay".

The_Robo_Fighter
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
I hope so too. Replacing those seriously took a big bite out of my budget. B.O.A.T= break out another thousand!

slipperyrockTKE300
04-24-2015, 05:52 AM
That orange Johnson impeller will replace the green Jabsco impeller. Same price.

When Jabsco ordering thru wakemakers, the O-ring and lubricant does not come with the impeller...at least mine didn't

jntMobiusLSV
06-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Ended up having to replace ballast motor. $350

jelmhorst
07-27-2015, 08:33 PM
I just had a similar issue with my center ballast not emptying. I am getting no sound from the motor on filling or emptying now. I attempted to unplug and plug in the fuse to see if that would reset it [is that even correct?]. The dealership is 1.5 hours away so not a simple pop over to troubleshoot. Any recommendations for parts to try replacing or steps to pinpoint the cause?

Is there a workaround to empty the ballast in the meantime other than just unplugging the connectors and having all the water drain into the bilge? Thanks much.

valleywine
07-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Just noticed this past weekend I'm having the same issue. Nothing is working for the center ballast fill or empty. Rears work fine. And I only have one fill pump for all three bags. So must be a bad connection somewhere before the switches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jelmhorst
07-31-2015, 07:53 PM
I tested the current going to the solenoids as part of the fuse box but when I have the meter on the Pump Out [for all three bags] I'm barely getting any power reading. This is with the switches on the empty setting for all three. Is this natural or does this lead one to conclude something else?

I did have the pump motor running when filling and emptying the port side so trying to isolate whether it could be a fuse I started switching them around to see if that was the issue. Now the pump doesn't kick on for fill/empty of any bag.

Suggestions?