PDA

View Full Version : Mobius V or Mobius LSV

mah2496
04-20-2015, 10:02 AM
We currently own a direct drive, but are looking for a V-drive in the low 20k range. Our crew is typically 4 adults and 4 kids under age 7.

We wakeboard but want to get more into surfing. We will likely never exceed intermediate skill level on either.

I've seen some early 2000-era Mobius V pop up in my price range, along with some 2002-2005 era Mobius LSV as well. Any opinions on how either boat performs compared to the other?

Flee27
04-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Can't comment as far a comparison goes but I just sold a 2004 Mobius LSV and it was a good boat. Upgrading to a new boat. The boat surfs pretty good with enough ballast. Definitely would have to upgrade to factory ballast system with larger rear bags and ballast for the front minimum. We enjoyed ours a lot but wanted a better surf wake and a boat that rode a little better in rough water. The bottom on the older LSV was pretty flat and was a fairly rough ride when the water got rough. My .02

Enjoy

Foster

mah2496
04-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Foster, good feedback. I too want something that handles rough water a little better than my direct drive.

Anyone know how well the 2006 era LSV handles the rough water? I've heard the surf and wake performance on them are good. I occasionally see those for sale and not too far out of my desired budget.

sivs1
04-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Anyone know how well the 2006 era LSV handles the rough water? I've heard the surf and wake performance on them are good. I occasionally see those for sale and not too far out of my desired budget.

If an 06 is in the budget or close to it, go for it. Handles rough water better than my buddies X9 but not as well as my old I/O. The 2006 era LSV is Moomba's best seller for a reason.

mmandley
04-20-2015, 03:27 PM
I was going to say look into the 06 LSV as well, this is when the Mobius got a new upgrade. All new boat basically. The 05 Mobius became the Outback. Or at least the newer Outbacks have extreamly stiking simularites.

The big difference you will notice all the time in the 05 vs the 06LSV is interitor you will have more storage, seating sits higher, the boat more stable in ruffer water, you have a bit more freeboard to weight it for sports.

Also I think <not positive> the idmar 325 started in 06 LSV and this is a fuel injected engine so less hassel over time.

Both are solid boats and you will be happy in either though.

wolfeman131
04-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Almost, Mike!

The 05 LSV became the Outback V. In 2009, the Outback V was redesigned to its current hull.

mmandley
04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Almost, Mike!

The 05 LSV became the Outback V. In 2009, the Outback V was redesigned to its current hull.

Yes thats correct on the 09 I didn't want to go to that detail LOL

I was thinking the in 05 the difference in LSV and Mobius was the options packages? IDK I might have that wrong as well. I don't know the boats as well that fare back.

wolfeman131
04-20-2015, 09:11 PM
I think that is exactly right.

The "Mobius" was the designation for a boat with ballast and a tower. Almost hard to imagine those were once considered "options."

kaneboats
04-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Yup, once upon a time the mobius and outback were the same boat and the mobius had the tower and some ballast. The mobius v had a tower and ballast and the OBV was a v drive boat with no tower. Later, all of the v-drive boats came with a tower. The LSV was the one that in 2006 when the new hull came out became the OBV and stayed the same till 2009. The Outback LSV fell by the wayside. A careful look at the "Archive" page under "About Moomba" at the top of this screen will take you back to any model you want to see in any year back to about 2000.

bergermaister
04-21-2015, 02:37 AM
You can make a decent wake and wave with an older MobV but I concur with the others. With 4 little ones, the newer LSV's will have deeper sides and handle the chop better. If you were a skier I'd maybe try to sway you the other way since the MobV is what I'd call a crossover hull - like "we're skiers but what's this wake boarding and surfing thing?"

The older towers leave something to be desired in the "style" department as well.

The MobV is kind of the quiet middle sister of the LSV and XLV to so speak.