PDA

View Full Version : Skiing behind a Mondo or Mojo

kpastrick
04-19-2015, 11:00 PM
We currently have a 19' Glastron inboard/outboard with a tower (we added last year), that we have outgrown, in many ways. We want to buy a Moomba cuz our son and friends wakeboard but some of us waterski/slalom. I have read the Outback is a top crossover boat and maybe it's the best option, if we want to ski, but it's too small. The Moomba sales guy says I shouldn't be concerned because the wake on any inboard is going to be better for waterskiing than any I/O boat. He also said there won't be much difference for me whether we buy a mondo or mojo. He says either one will have a milder wake transition than our current 19' Glastron I/O. Unfortunately, I have never skied behind a Moomba nor is there the opportunity to test drive it. The last hurdle in making this purchase is knowing we an ski behind it. Can anyone shed some light on this or a video?

jelmhorst
04-20-2015, 08:21 AM
When I was shopping the word of advice was that you don't want a boat over 21.5' if you like to slalom like I do. The LSV is a perfectly manageable length so you should be able to due that size or smaller in the Mondo without much stress. I've read that some people fill up the center ballast (didn't say full or partially) to help flatten out the boat but I find the wakeplate down is just fine. Like you, I had to rely on Youtube videos to gauge the wake until finally getting out on the boat to take her home. I can take some pics of the LSV if you like and you can make some assumptions about the Mondo. I would think the mojo is too big, maybe someone else can prove me wrong.

boater4life
04-20-2015, 08:50 AM
I bought a Mondo last year to upgrade from an 18' Four Winns I/O. I can definitely say that the wake is bigger on the Mondo than it ever was on my I/O. The wake on the Mondo might be slightly less abrupt but it's definitely larger. When trying to cut hard across the wake while slaloming it can be a little intimidating. However, I only slalom a few times a year so by no means am I an expert skier.

kriley
04-20-2015, 09:16 AM
We have a 2013 LSV and at about 27 mph the wake flattens out nicely! I have other people ski behind the boat as well with no wake related issues. WE ski at 28 mph for my wife and I ski at 32 mph.

I would make the dealer take you out skiing behind each boat! Why buy something that you don't know will fit what you want.. I know a lot of boat buyers tried the boat out -wake surfing, skiing before buying -

sivs1
04-20-2015, 09:21 AM
I have a buddy who is a die hard skier. He owns a MC X9 DD, the wake behind his boat is super flat, he skis between 35 and 38 mph. He has skied once behind my LSV and he said it was okay, granted I do not have it setup for speed but for surfing, that said WOT I could only hit 36. I would say the LSV wake with zero ballast and wakeplate down at 36 mph provided a better wake than that of my Stingray I/O, also 19 feet. I would assume that the Mondo or Mojo would throw off a bigger wake just due to the hull design. I chose the LSV due to the versatility it provided.