PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bath bearings

Mikey
04-19-2015, 06:06 PM
I know theres a post on how to change the Vault wheel bearings. Is there or was there ever a really good post on how to fix and or replace the OIL Bath type? Mine are leaking again and really need to look into a serious repair or replacement. Anyone?

brain_rinse
04-19-2015, 06:20 PM
I recently followed these instructions and they were very helpful: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/453626.html?1180533730

sivs1
04-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Pretty good write up, on my 06 boatmate trailer I have to use a hammer to gently release to cap. I also use a hammer and 2x4 to put it back in place. it can be a bit messy, so make sure you cover your work area under the wheel hub.

uniwarking
04-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Are these the UPF "Vault" bearings? If so, it's kind of scary you guys are talking about this already, thought these were supposed to be a 10+ year maintenance free system. Does UFP back these? Would be nice if you could at least get components under warranty...

Gabbyg88
04-19-2015, 09:20 PM
I pulled the oil bath bearing protectors and installed Vault bearing protectors. I followed the instructions and used vault bearing grease. 2 yrs later I the cap has collapsed which means I have to pull both caps and repack the bearings. This is not going to fly, if I have to pull the cap every year or 2 yrs to repack the bearings. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the Vault bearing protectors with normal bearing buddies and just use a grease gun to fill them?