PDA

View Full Version : Swim Deck Bracket Repair

mark540
04-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Posted this on the Supra forums a couple of months back, since the Moombas were the same until a couple of years ago, maybe this will help someone tackle the job.

Well I wanted to share some info on the swim bracket attachments I have read quite a bit about, but found little info as most seem to go to the dealer.

This started with me making a new swim deck to emulate the newer decks that cut in quite a bit to keep out of the surf wake. The brackets needed a refresh (paint) and while doing this I noticed there was a crack in the gelcoat running down from the bracket on both sides. My brackets have always had play in them, this is a 2008 21V I bought new in January 2009, and I have read this has caused such issues to arise.*

I proceeded to remove the bracket and cut the floor in the locker to investigate. There is a steel plate that backs the bracket, but only the botttom 2 screws went through it, the top three where just through fiberglass, not sure if this was the way it was suppost to be or not, but i redrilled the plate and added new stainless bolts, washers and lock nuts. No way this thing is going anywhere. Oh and it had pulled away some as there where remnants of water leaking in through the bottom holes.

I filled the hole with expanable foam (spray) and put the piece of fiberglass back in (held in place by the foam) that i cut out. Layed a spare piece of starboard over it with a weight so the expanding foam wouldn't push the foam out of the hole, let it cure and trim the excess that expanded through the crack. Glued the carpet back down and you can't tell there is a repair.

here are the pics.

mark540
04-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Few more pics....

mark540
04-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Forgot to add the screws where all long self tapping so the bottom two basically hold with just a couple of threads in the stainless plate. Both sides were exactly the same, except one of the bottom screws were actually broken on the other side, so even less ability to hold. I used 1/4 - 20 stainless with nylon locking nuts.

newty
04-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Great job! Nice upgrade. I would put a coat of fiberglass and resin over your repair to maintain the integrity of the foam.

mark540
04-18-2015, 11:36 PM
I was going to glass over it, but I traded the boat a week later. It was actually hard as a rock, I pushed down on it and could not even budge it, I did lay the piece back in that I cut out so it was hard to the touch. With the shortened time frame, that was it and the carpet went down over it.

newty
04-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Lol, that works too.