PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging

spader
04-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Since this is my first spring startup after the first winterization, the spring startup instructions left in the boat said that I have to charge the batteries prior to connecting the cables. I have an onboard charger. Do I still need to charge them prior to connecting the cables or can I connect the cables and use the on board charger. Probably a simple question but I didn't want to screw anything up and that's what I normally tend to do. Thanks.

MLA
04-15-2015, 08:36 PM
No, but if you have an onboard charger, the cables should have remained connected and the charger plugged in for the off season.

spader
04-15-2015, 09:08 PM
The dealer disconnected the red cable but kept the black one connected. Is this because they are not used to all boats having an onboard charger. This is my first boat so I didn't have any expectations.

MLA
04-15-2015, 09:18 PM
You stated plural batteries as in 2. This would also mean that the boat had a dual battery switch. When the switch is off, theres no need to disconnect cables. Is your dealer new to boats?

I know a guy who bought a $125K tow boat 2 seasons ago. Didnt even know it had an on-board charger until I told him he should be using, after diagnosing a battery issue.

Water under the bridge unless the batteries ran low and suffered due to cold temps. Reconnect the batteries, plug in your charger and let the charger do its thing.

spader
04-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks MLA.

Dealer is not new and has been around for some time but new to Moomba.

There are dual batteries with a charger and yes there is a switch.

I have had no issues with the batteries so I will hook them up and start charging away.