PDA

View Full Version : Saved myself $160! DIY FTW!

trayson
04-14-2015, 11:28 AM
So I got an ad from a local dealer for a "dewinterization". I started thinking to myself, all I really did for dewinterizing my boat was put the impeller back in. And I've heard that very often dealers don't even take out the impeller to winterizer, so that wouldn't even be part of it.

So, out of curiousity, I emailed and asked what a person gets for this $160.

Here's the list:

De-Winterize & Spring Inspection

 $139.95 Direct Drive
 $159.95 V-Drive
 +$25 to charge battery

Service
 Install drain plugs, close valves, reconnect hoses
 Verify raw water pump impeller operation
 Run engine
 Inspect all belts, clamps, hoses
 Check for fuel, oil, and water leaks
 Check operation of gauges
 Check lights, horn, blower, bilge, and accessories
 Check & top off engine & transmission fluid
 Check battery terminals
 Check all ballast pumps for proper operation
 Check tire pressure
 Check trailer lights
 Torque lug nuts
 Check Brake Fluid for proper level
 Install Transom / T-Plugs

Even if I got it for free, It would take me twice as long to hitch up and drive one-way to the dealer than it would to do this stuff myself.

I can't imagine affording a wakeboat if I had to pay to have all this stuff done for me.

cornrickey
04-14-2015, 12:33 PM
One of my neighbors pay to have his boat driven from his dock, towed, winterized, unwinterized, towed and driven back to his dock so somebody will pay for this kind of stuff.

bergermaister
04-21-2015, 02:52 AM
Most dealers who perform the service of winterizing/dewinterizing guarantee their work and if something goes bad cover the cost to fix. That piece of mind sits well in the minds of some owners that are less hands-on.

I can understand that reasoning but knowing what I know now would choke on paying the dealer to do it for me.

A friend of mine had a new heater installed in his Malibu because the dealer screwed up winterizing it and they made it right at zero $ to him, plus a free complete fluid change for his troubles. For him it's worth it.

mmandley
04-21-2015, 03:17 AM
This is a real struggle for me each winter. I always weigh out if i have them do it or myself. I store my boat indoors but trust me, I still get nervous when its below freezing outside.

I actually keep a small cup of water on the edge of the boat to see if its gelling up LOL

If I stored my boat outside, I wouldn't think of this for a minute, I would be the guy getting it winterized, shrink wraped every winter to protect it from the elements and critters.

beat taco
04-21-2015, 10:50 AM
You guys know where I stand when I gave away that free winterization I won from Active at the jam. Too much trouble to tow it across town and wait for them to do it.
My neighbor never use to winterize his since his garage is warm but after showing him once he's been doing it ever since.

zabooda
04-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I've always stored my boats outside and done winterization and then dewinterize. Granted, the dewinterization is much easier but for carbed engines you need to run a carb cleaner to remove the fogging oil residue. I don't keep much gas in the tank over the winter so I pump the treated non-ethanol gas and any other contaminants out of the tank and replace with fresh gas.

kaneboats
04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
LOL. Brings back memories. I used to love to treat my neighbor to the dewinterization of my outboard. Ha ha. Serves him right. He still has my good rake.