PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions

CookieMonster
04-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and about to purchase my first wake boat, looking for some input. Here's the deal: I'm in the process of buying a 2005 Mobius LSV. The original asking price was 25k and I've talked them down to 23k. I just found out the boat doesn't have rear ballasts, but is plumbed for them, nor does it have perfect pass. Because of that I'm going to try to get them down to 21 or 22k. The owner is also throwing in life jackets and 2 wake boards. It has all new WetSounds (tower subs and cabin speakers). Just under 300hrs on the boat. Am I getting a good deal or not?

996scott
04-13-2015, 02:39 PM
What kind of condition is the boat in? Has it been well taken care of, any damage to the exterior, how is the interior, carpet, vinyl? Has yearly maintenance been done, any known mechanical issues? Have you seen it in person or just pictures? Hard to define a good deal because it may be for one but not another. If everything checked out and was in good condition I would think $21 is a good price. I don't know for sure but I think the lsv changed to a new hull in 2007 and I think most people think it was a significant improvement. Might be worth looking to see what 07,08s are going for as well. Just my .02

When you say it is plumbed for the ballast do that mean all the switches, pumps and hoses are there and it just needs bags?

CookieMonster
04-13-2015, 03:10 PM
What kind of condition is the boat in? Has it been well taken care of, any damage to the exterior, how is the interior, carpet, vinyl? Has yearly maintenance been done, any known mechanical issues? Have you seen it in person or just pictures? Hard to define a good deal because it may be for one but not another. If everything checked out and was in good condition I would think $21 is a good price. I don't know for sure but I think the lsv changed to a new hull in 2007 and I think most people think it was a significant improvement. Might be worth looking to see what 07,08s are going for as well. Just my .02

When you say it is plumbed for the ballast do that mean all the switches, pumps and hoses are there and it just needs bags?

It seems to be in great shape from the pics. The owner said there is 1 small crack in the the back seat. I haven't seen it in person because it's a 6 hour drive from my house. I am being told it's mechanically sound, I'll be test driving it Friday and if it checks out I'm going to buy it that day. From the pics it seems to be in great shape, garage kept ect. I think it has the switches for the ballasts. It only has the front/middle ballast installed. As I understand the rear ballasts and perfect pass were options when the boat was sold from the factory. From what they told me all I'd need is the bags for the rear. I've looked at other listings for the same year and they're all around 25k-28k. I don't want to spend more than 25k so I think 07-08s are out for me. I've been looking for a decent priced V-drive for about 5 months and this is about the best I've found within reasonable driving distance.

patrick232
04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
I would look for cracks on the sun pad also. This is were our 2006 started cracking the last summer we had it. The cost to replace was going to be too much, So I talked wife into a new boat. Just kidding it was only about $150 - $200 a skin X 3.

CookieMonster
04-13-2015, 03:46 PM
I would look for cracks on the sun pad also. This is were our 2006 started cracking the last summer we had it. The cost to replace was going to be too much, So I talked wife into a new boat. Just kidding it was only about $150 - $200 a skin X 3.

That'll be the first thing I look at. It won't bother me if I have to change 1 or 2 cushions. Is there anything specific I should look for with the motor or things I should be aware of when driving it? My previous boat was a Tahoe and I only had it a couple years so I'm still pretty new to boats and knowing what to look for.

patrick232
04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
How clean the fluids are oil, trans and vdrive.
Belt condition
Water pump, your Tahoe didn't have one.

CookieMonster
04-13-2015, 04:15 PM
How clean the fluids are oil, trans and vdrive.
Belt condition
Water pump, your Tahoe didn't have one.

Thanks, The V drive would be the drive shaft, right? Just make sure it looks solid, no loose bearings?

FamilyMatters
04-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Of the Two boats I have purchased as an adult, Three that I have looked at, I arranged to take it to a dealer close to the Seller and have them check it out. the $75 spent was priceless. I looked at a beautiful Gekko, that had some quirky electrical issues that the guy said was just a switch,and he could fix for $25.00 but after the Boat guy looked at it, it had been Jumped off a number of times,with the guy's 20 Ton Fork Lift and much of the electrical system had been fried. Saved me buying it and finding out later! The other two checked out, and were, and are Gem's.
Peace
Darren

parrothd
04-13-2015, 05:05 PM
I'd check this one out...High hours but looks to be well taken care of with PP and ballast.. :)

http://boats.oodle.com/view/2006-moomba-mobius-lsv-loaded-wakeboard-boat/3840823051-buford-ga/

parrothd
04-13-2015, 05:07 PM
I'd check this one out...High hours but looks to be well taken care of with PP and ballast.. :)

http://boats.oodle.com/view/2006-moomba-mobius-lsv-loaded-wakeboard-boat/3840823051-buford-ga/

Oops..probably gone...

CookieMonster
04-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Wish I would have seen it a month ago. It says listing expired so I assume it's sold.

CookieMonster
04-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Oops..probably gone...

You had me excited. Yea it's gone.

parrothd
04-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Sorry... :(

You looking at this one? It's been listed for a while, think 25$ is kinda high but once summer get here not so much...

(removed link..hehehe)

Definitely have a dealer do a water check, worth every penny...

Beejwest
04-13-2015, 05:34 PM
I picked up my '07 LSV in Oct. of '13 for $27k. It was in good condition with 225 hours. I would think 07's would be down around 24-25 by now, but I could be wrong. I looked all over the country. A 12-15 hour drive may save you a ton of cash.

Beejwest
04-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Well OK then, I just searched a 500 mile radius of KC MO and there's 1 2006 for $30k, one '09 for $40k, and one other on onlyinboards thats a bare '06 for $33k! Guess I stole mine or it's increased in value! Sorry man!

pdhj1990
04-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Pay for a pre-purchase inspection. Ask the seller if he's fine with a pre-purchase inspection. If there's any hesitation - don't waist anymore time or money. Good luck.

Of the Two boats I have purchased as an adult, Three that I have looked at, I arranged to take it to a dealer close to the Seller and have them check it out. the $75 spent was priceless. I looked at a beautiful Gekko, that had some quirky electrical issues that the guy said was just a switch,and he could fix for $25.00 but after the Boat guy looked at it, it had been Jumped off a number of times,with the guy's 20 Ton Fork Lift and much of the electrical system had been fried. Saved me buying it and finding out later! The other two checked out, and were, and are Gem's.
Peace
Darren

sivs1
04-14-2015, 08:27 AM
the LSV changed in 2006, much better design from what people say. Prices vary greatly depending on location. a boat for $30k in my area could go for $25k in other parts of the country and vice versa. $21k sounds like a good price if all else is sound. Rear bags can cost $200-300 each, PP is a bit more, but is so worth it. If you can find a loaded up 2006 in your budget consider that one over a 2005.

CookieMonster
04-14-2015, 10:24 AM
I asked the seller yesterday about a pre-purchase inspection and they were fine with it. I've looked all over and I've found others in the same price range but this one is in the best condition I've found. For now, 23k is about as much as I'm willing to spend. If I end up really getting into it, which with my personality I'm sure I will, then I'll sell this one in a couple years and upgrade. Thanks for all the tips guys, keep it coming.

CookieMonster
04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Well OK then, I just searched a 500 mile radius of KC MO and there's 1 2006 for $30k, one '09 for $40k, and one other on onlyinboards thats a bare '06 for $33k! Guess I stole mine or it's increased in value! Sorry man!

Haha yea you must have stolen it! I can't find anything from 06-07 in my price range.

parrothd
04-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Not this time of year, off season is the best time to buy..

parrothd
04-17-2015, 04:46 PM
https://columbia.craigslist.org/bod/4960681142.html

*Moomba Mobius LSV Ski Boat* (Reduced) - $19950 (Lake Murray SC) :)