PDA

View Full Version : blown amp woes.. upgrade time please help

jeffhtg
04-11-2015, 01:20 PM
blew up the kenwood kac-x542 finally in a 08' lsv.

Wasn't extremely happy with it in the first place. It under powered my polk db651's (bought after reading a ton of threads here and another post 2 years ago).

Anyways I'm wired 2 speakers per channel so I'm looking for something that can properly power the polk 651's. Rated at 60watts RMS @ 4ohms. So I think I want 120watts @ 2ohms in a 4 channel amp.

I think I will buy the Wet Sounds HT-4.. But wondering if there are any other options out there that the community recommends? I don't really want to spend more than $500 on an amplifier if possible.

I ALSO need to replace my sub amp. I have the (stock?) pioneer sub. Not sure what it is I haven't pulled it yet. If im going to up the wattage on my polks im sure they are going to get at least 3db louder (twice as loud). So I think I'd like some options to have just as much bass. Could spend a little more here to do it right once. Because my sub was already getting 1000watts (some headroom) I think an upgraded sub/amp combo is what I will need to do. How is the stock box held in and is there any pre-fab solutions here?

thanks in advance for your advice!

brain_rinse
04-11-2015, 08:59 PM
I just installed the Exile Javelin and it's a great amp. It would push your cabins and sub with ease, and have plenty of extra power to handle future upgrades. There are other good options too but this was my choice and am very happy with it so far. Whatever you get, insist on class d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
04-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Need a little more info before making a rec. How many in-boats? Sorry if im missing it.

Stock sub and you're driving it with a 1000W rms amp? What is the model woofer, including it coil impedance, and amp model.

David Analog
04-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Jeff,
First, 3 dB represents twice the amplifier power but definitely NOT twice the volume. The ratio between power and volume (loudness) is far from linear. It actually requires six to ten times the amplifier power to create a perception of 'twice as loud'. Generally 'twice as loud' is accepted as a 10 dB or a ten fold increase in power. But a 3 dB increase is definitely noticeable. A 1 dB increase is the minimum difference that you can discern under ideal and quiet circumstances.
The Wetsounds HT4 Class D amplifier would be a great choice. There is actually no good reason to look beyond that amplifier but some other Class D 4-channel options could include the JL Audio JX400/4D, JL Audio XD400/4, some of the Kicker Class D amplifiers, or some of the Rockford Fosgate Class D amplifiers.