PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth 4.0 receiver now offered from Exile.

trayson
04-06-2015, 01:58 PM
http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/amplifiers/signal-processing/exile-premium-bluetooth-music-receiver.html?utm_source=Exile+Customer+List&utm_campaign=9823f6e951-BT2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0bf09fe863-9823f6e951-68761925

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/EXBT4-hookup.1000_zpsxgekzuzd.jpg

Exile is popping out new products left and right. 8" cabin speakers, now Bluetooth. Any other surprises for us???

KG's Supra24
04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Based on the picture provided, I'd say the fact that it doesn't work with the iPhone would be a surprise.

I need to move over to a bluetooth solution.

trayson
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Based on the picture provided, I'd say the fact that it doesn't work with the iPhone would be a surprise.

I need to move over to a bluetooth solution.

My understanding is that it would work with Iphones, it's just that the current iphones don't have the BT 4.0 spec so they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the apt-x 384 kbit/s audio streaming. Ya know, the typical apple lagging behind android! LOL.

But I'm pretty sure that you could still stream BT via iphone, just not with the higher BT4.0 standard until Apple steps up their game and offers that standard.

uniwarking
04-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Hmmm... Thanks for pointing this out! It would be nice to cut the cord so to speak... I've just been running a 3.5mm or USB into the head unit and not using the aux inputs on the MKII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
04-06-2015, 04:34 PM
would you lose the wire remotes on the boat if the source was plugged into the eq and not the head unit?

trayson
04-06-2015, 04:51 PM
would you lose the wire remotes on the boat if the source was plugged into the eq and not the head unit?

Yes. On mine, I have a 3.5mm, and ipod cable, and a usb input in the glovebox with the headunit.

When I switch my ws420sq over to aux, I am listening to music off my phone. I have a car dock for my phone that is on the windshield next to me when I drive.

So whe. On aux, I am not using my MB quart remotes but rather controlling music from the phone.

MLA
04-06-2015, 04:52 PM

Yes, same as if one was going EQ direct with their phone/MP3. To retain, just interface to the head-unit's AUX and leave the EQ on its main source.

jstenger
04-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I would think so, since the source is after the head unit.

Woody929
04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Am I missing something? iPhone 5c,s & 6,6+ all are listed as Bluetooth 4.0

parrothd
04-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Your head unit doesn't have bluetooth?

trayson
04-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Am I missing something? iPhone 5c,s & 6,6+ all are listed as Bluetooth 4.0

This is what Brian explained on wakeworld:

<the exbt4> ...has built in aptX codecs for higher streaming rates up to 384 kbit/s. that codec is top dog when it comes to sound quality compression. I should also say in fairness, that awesome aptX connection is not available for iPhone users as of this date. There are rumors that the next iPhone update will include the aptX codec.

so maybe iphone has the BT4.0 but not the apt-x.

trayson
04-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Your head unit doesn't have bluetooth?

My head unit doesn't.

This is what was in my boat when I got it...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qGKrG40SKR4/VA8vteQqarI/AAAAAAAAUN4/hLeVlU785YU/s640/20140908_202603_resized.jpg

parrothd
04-06-2015, 06:00 PM
With a new bluetooth head unit you can use the dash/rear platform controls (skip, stop, play) instead of using the phone..... :)

parrothd
04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Also use an app on my phone to increase/decrease volume based on GPS speed..

trayson
04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
With a new bluetooth head unit you can use the dash/rear platform controls (skip, stop, play) instead of using the phone..... :)

Yeah, but the only BT headunit that I am aware of that's compatible with my remotes is the round MB Quart one:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74609_MB-Quart-Nautic-GMR-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp6776682&gclid=CjwKEAjw3YipBRDL2bHhjLmFkQsSJADtzktjcIsuDamu 6Et0g_-DMoKigYFjz0T6l-KNhDXVfH04dhoCYTPw_wcB

And I'd gain BT and lose the ipod cable. And spend more money to do it. No perfect solution in my case.

viking
04-06-2015, 06:14 PM
I have several options for playing source music. Assuming I'm using my android phone the majority of the time What would be the recommended way to set it up to get the best source output? Also a consideration is the functionality of the various remotes. I have a Clarion remote at the helm and transom, as well as the WS-BT-VC.

1.) Aux (3.5mm or USB) in the glove box going to the Clarion Receiver (which feeds the wetsounds 420 eq with RCA's IN Main. Convenient to locate my phone there and out of the way. Downside is to change songs, pause, ect... you'd have to access the phone.
UNLESS.........i paired it with the WS-BT-VC for function of the button but the signal input on the EQ was still getting it from the Main input NOT Aux? Not even sure this would work as BT connection might not be strong enough with phone in glove box?

2.) Bluetooth to the Clarion Remote. Would need to locate phone somewhere at the helm and full clarion functionality at drivers seat as well as transom. Would still run WS420 on Main source since it's fed from Clarion Receiver. Wondering if this would be as clean signal as option below? Would not have functionality of WS-BT knob.

3.) Bluetooth to the Wetsounds WW-BT-VC with short run 3.5mm to 420EQ AUX input. Would need to find a home for my phone at the helm & I would have full functionality of the WS BT but lose all functions of the clarion Remotes except for volume.

4.) 3.5mm direct to Wetsounds 420 EQ. Would not have any remote functions and have to utilize the phone to do anything. This option is eliminated for those reasons but wondering if there are any positives to it?

Way I see it I'm probably going to BT to either the Clarion Remote or WS-BT-VC depending on activities and change between the 2 and main/aux input on the EQ. When driving/riding will have it paired to WS knob and when chilling/floating for a good part of the day and desiring the functionality of the transom remote I'll need to pair to the clarion remote.

whatcha all think?

MLA
04-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but the only BT headunit that I am aware of that's compatible with my remotes is the round MB Quart one:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74609_MB-Quart-Nautic-GMR-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp6776682&gclid=CjwKEAjw3YipBRDL2bHhjLmFkQsSJADtzktjcIsuDamu 6Et0g_-DMoKigYFjz0T6l-KNhDXVfH04dhoCYTPw_wcB

And I'd gain BT and lose the ipod cable. And spend more money to do it. No perfect solution in my case.

Sounds like whats needed is a source unit that supports LCD remotes, has BT, Dual rear USB, dual rear AUX and more?

trayson
04-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Sounds like whats needed is a source unit that supports LCD remotes, has BT, Dual rear USB, dual rear AUX and more?

"needed" is a strong word. LOL. My budget sure doesn't *need* an head unit upgrade!

Honestly, I'm pretty content with my current setup. only a minor nudge making me really want BT again.

But lots of input options are never a bad thing.

That said, in reference to my previous problem about ground loop feedback while charging my phone and playing music via 3.5mm; would playing music via BT likely be a "fix" to that problem as well? I've already purchased the ground loop filter/line driver. But none-the-less curious if playing through BT eliminates noise that typically finds its way to the 3.5mm jack on the phone.

David Analog
04-06-2015, 07:32 PM
" That said, in reference to my previous problem about ground loop feedback while charging my phone and playing music via 3.5mm; would playing music via BT likely be a "fix" to that problem as well? I've already purchased the ground loop filter/line driver. But none-the-less curious if playing through BT eliminates noise that typically finds its way to the 3.5mm jack on the phone."

It depends. Some have the same noise using BT. The noise is gone when they go back to battery operation. So in this case the problem is not in the grounding relationship between the BT module and the HU or EQ input. BT won't help in this particular scenario.

MLA
04-06-2015, 07:55 PM
"needed" is a strong word. LOL. My budget sure doesn't *need* an head unit upgrade!

Honestly, I'm pretty content with my current setup. only a minor nudge making me really want BT again.

But lots of input options are never a bad thing.

That said, in reference to my previous problem about ground loop feedback while charging my phone and playing music via 3.5mm; would playing music via BT likely be a "fix" to that problem as well? I've already purchased the ground loop filter/line driver. But none-the-less curious if playing through BT eliminates noise that typically finds its way to the 3.5mm jack on the phone.

BT will likely not resolve the noise issue created by the charge port seeing a difference voltage reference then the BT and the rest of the audio.

liquid_acid
04-06-2015, 08:25 PM
I got a clarion m303 with bluetooth that works great. That way I'm not playing around with wires. I don't have to touch the ws420sq and my clarion mw1 and mf1 work fine. The USB also charges your phone.

David Analog
04-06-2015, 08:55 PM
BT will likely not resolve the noise issue created by the charge port seeing a difference voltage reference then the BT and the rest of the audio.

That's the problem in some cases. BT transmission would break any loop between the phone charging supply and any reference to the rest of the audio system. Sometimes the cause is in the relationship between the BT module and the source unit, whether a HU, EQ or other. But the problem is entirely within the phone in other cases.

trayson
04-06-2015, 10:44 PM
It depends. Some have the same noise using BT. The noise is gone when they go back to battery operation. So in this case the problem is not in the grounding relationship between the BT module and the HU or EQ input. BT won't help in this particular scenario.
Okay. Sounds like there's no one answer. Thanks.

Gotcha. Figured it was worth an ask.

That's the problem in some cases. BT transmission would break any loop between the phone charging supply and any reference to the rest of the audio system. Sometimes the cause is in the relationship between the BT module and the source unit, whether a HU, EQ or other. But the problem is entirely within the phone in other cases.
Makes sense. No 1 cause = no 1 solution.

bergermaister
04-07-2015, 12:46 AM
I got a clarion m303 with bluetooth that works great. That way I'm not playing around with wires. I don't have to touch the ws420sq and my clarion mw1 and mf1 work fine. The USB also charges your phone.

Same here - and the wired remotes will control the phone via bluetooth quite nicely. I still think the cable connection is a little louder and cleaner, but I'm half deaf so take that for what it's worth.

parrothd
04-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Same, except I have a Kenwood..

liquid_acid
04-07-2015, 10:37 AM
, but I'm half deaf so take that for what it's worth.

I played in a metal band for 9 years. I think I also fall into the hearing impaired category.

bergermaister
04-08-2015, 07:23 PM
I bet... and it only gets worse.

How's the range on your BT? At first I swear I could get 30-40ft (line of site) away and it didn't drop - I was blown away. Now it seems like 10-15ft is the limit before it starts cutting out.

Maybe a broader question - does the newer BT provider a better distance or just clarity?

trayson
04-08-2015, 10:52 PM

How's the range on your BT? At first I swear I could get 30-40ft (line of site) away and it didn't drop - I was blown away. Now it seems like 10-15ft is the limit before it starts cutting out.

Maybe a broader question - does the newer BT provider a better distance or just clarity?

Exile put their BT module in a plastic case and gave it 18" of lead so that you could mount it in a strategic location for range. according to Brian, having the BT outside of a metal case (like the ones in a head unit). So according to Exile, yes, they get very good range from this as well as the ability to use the apt-x codecs on android phones.

mmandley
05-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Exile showing how fare the new Bluethooth unit works.
Over 100Ft.

https://vimeo.com/126627041

We have been receiving lots of questions about the new Exile BlueTooth unit - EXBT4.). We shot a quick video (below left), so you can check out the real world functional distance. The increased range is perfect for the controlling music at the sandbar or tie-up. You don't even have to be on your boat to be the DJ.

EXBT4 is plug and play and a quick install to add onto any head unit / preamp eq with a "AUX" input. Boat safe this summer. Powered by Exile!

Brianinpdx
05-02-2015, 10:00 PM

Berg - There's no black and white answer here for you. Some of the BT modules on the market are pretty poor quality construction wise. I'm not sure which one you have or how it plays out within the build spectrum. This The Exile module is IPS marine rated and made from plastic. I opted to go this route because putting the circuit in a metal case effects range (think built into EQ's and head units). The BT4.0 offers lower latency than 3.0 and lower power consumption on your handset connection. As for the clarity... substantially yes if your synced with the Aptx codec. Marginally improved if your not.

If your happy with your unit clarity and range-- then no reason to change. If your shopping for a BT device, I would only consider a device thats BT4.0 LE / APTX enabled. Everything else at this point is legacy. Hope that helps.

-Brian

Derrick
07-17-2015, 10:19 PM
I spent some time looking for a Bluetooth option for my '14 LSV and found the following:

http://www.dx.com/p/usb-bluetooth-v2-1-audio-receiver-for-car-white-blue-295723#.Vam1o4r3bCQ

I thought for $6 delivered, it was worth a try. I tried it out tonight and it worked. I was able to play pandora off my iPhone via Bluetooth. It was a little delayed but is still usable. I was able to control the volume and everything from my phone. It also allowed me to change songs etc from the driver remote. I am thrilled with it. I have the stock Sony head unit with the USB port that I plugged this into.

It did take several weeks to arrive after I ordered it. I would definately recommend it for the money if you are looking for a Bluetooth option for the stock Sony receiver.

Brianinpdx
07-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Derrick - I'm always curious about peoples feedback on products. I have a hunch that this product is 6 bucks because its BT ver 2.1 which is 3 versions outdated from latest tech. You'll probably see free ones (or almost free in this case) as manufacturers dump legacy product. At this point in the game anything other than 4.0 or 4.0LE people should demand a hell of a deal on because the sacrifices are pretty drastic.

Regardless of the tech - if it streams pandora and such, carry on ;)

-Brian

jmvotto
03-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Any reason why I cant use the audio side of this cable to plug into USB on hu and still use the remotes on the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Male-adapter-Cable-Vizio-video/dp/B004FRGGBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457313233&sr=8-2&keywords=RCA+to+USB#customerReviews

jmvotto
03-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Is there a special cable that will pick up data from the BT connection, I tried this cable in my truck with the exile bt4 and it did not pick up the input through the usb

Brianinpdx
03-14-2016, 12:58 AM
@JMV contact me by email. We can talk about what you trying to accomplish. I'm a bit confused on what your trying to do. -Brian

jmvotto
03-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Will do .

Joe