PDA

View Full Version : Any difference between the Johnson orange and Jabsco green impellers?

brain_rinse
04-03-2015, 11:26 AM
I need to replace impellers and wondering if I should go orange or green. Since they aren't visible I guess I have to go with best performance rather than color preference. :) Both are the same price on Wakemakers. Pumps are Jabsco but don't think that matters.

BrettLee3232
04-03-2015, 11:44 AM
From what I've heard green is the way to go now.

trayson
04-03-2015, 12:26 PM
hmmmm. My understanding is that the orange is the latest and greatest... Better call WM and confirm and then post up your results.

mnpracing
04-03-2015, 03:03 PM
hmmmm. My understanding is that the orange is the latest and greatest... Better call WM and confirm and then post up your results.

x2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

trayson
04-03-2015, 03:36 PM

Give your your Johnson Ultra Ballast reversible pump new life with the all new Orange replacement impeller.
Description
Johnson's orange impeller (part #:09-824P-1EZ) is the newest evolution in wakeboard ballast impeller technology. Not only will this impeller improve the performance in your Johnson Ultra Ballast Pump but it is also backwards compatible in all Jabsco 18220 Ballast Puppy pumps.

Johnson Ultra Impeller Replacement Instructions:
Step 1: Remove five of the front cover screws. (Note: Retain the screws for the reinstallation process) Swing the cover up and out of the way to allow access to the impeller location. the impeller may be black, yellow or green depending on the age and manufacturer.
Step 2: Using needle-nose pliers, pull the old impeller out of the casing.
Step 3: Install the new impeller. (It is intentionally larger than the case. While gently squeezing it in, ensure that the paddle wheels angle in the same direction--counterclockwise--all the way around.)
Step 4: Slide the plate back into place. NO SILICONE IS NECESSARY due to the built-in gasket, tightening the screws should prevent leakage.

Impeller Part # Cross References
Replaces Jabsco 6303-0001, Johnson Pump 09-824P-1, CEF 500110, Oberdorfer 7482

Pump Part # Cross References
This part is a direct replacement for the impeller in any Johnson Ultra Ballast Pump or Jabsco Ballast Puppy pump that begins with 18220, including: 18220-1123, 18670-0123 and 18670-6127

I'm betting on orange.

996scott
04-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Just did reversible pumps in my boat. I found them for $150 from an online place. Wakemakers has them for $200. I called wakemakers and asked spencer if they would match the price. Spencer said that the reason some places are a lot cheeper is because of the old impellers which are not nearly as good as the new ones. Now I can't remember which color is the new one. Anyway, according to him the new color, which ever it is, is significantly better. Give them a call, they can explain the difference.

brain_rinse
04-03-2015, 05:53 PM
WM said absolutely no difference in performance between Orange (Johnson) and Green (Jabsco.) They advised me to go Green since it comes with a new o-ring, but if I didn't need/want the o-ring to just pick my favorite color.

trayson
04-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Just did reversible pumps in my boat. I found them for $150 from an online place. Wakemakers has them for $200. I called wakemakers and asked spencer if they would match the price. Spencer said that the reason some places are a lot cheeper is because of the old impellers which are not nearly as good as the new ones. Now I can't remember which color is the new one. Anyway, according to him the new color, which ever it is, is significantly better. Give them a call, they can explain the difference.

The new color is for sure the orange. The old Johnson impeller in the $150 ebay Johnson pumps is black. The green impeller is the one from the Jabasco ballast puppy.

So my understanding is that orange is best. Green is better and used to be best. And black is the one that got superceeded by orange. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the order would be:

Orange
Green
Black

From what I remember of my conversation with Brian at WM the orange has a lot better longevity. I've also heard somewhere that the orange gets a bit more speed and thus faster fill/empty times. But don't quote me on that last part.

trayson
04-03-2015, 06:05 PM
WM said absolutely no difference in performance between Orange (Johnson) and Green (Jabsco.) They advised me to go Green since it comes with a new o-ring, but if I didn't need/want the o-ring to just pick my favorite color.

Yeah, Brian did say no speed performance difference. I can't remember where I thought I heard that. Maybe it was the idea of polishing the inside of the impeller housing that I'm confusing it with? The orange does supposedly have better longevity.

When I bought my new pump, I was temped to get the $150 with the older impeller (because then I could just spend another $30 on the orange and have a spare for the WM price). However, I just bought everything at WM so I could get free shipping on the odds and ends that I was also buying and to give them business and get my product quicker. I get things the next day from WM with free shipping since I'm so close.

Only thing is that I wish I would have ordered one of the switch faces because I don't want to pay a new shipping charge just for something that weighs under an ounce.

So if anyone local is getting free shipping and wants to grab me one of these, that's be great! haha!
http://www.wakemakers.com/ballast-rocker-switch-cover.html

trayson
04-03-2015, 06:06 PM

If it was blue, it'd be faster. because we all know that blue is the best/fastest color.

brain_rinse
04-03-2015, 06:55 PM
If it was blue, it'd be faster. because we all know that blue is the best/fastest color.
Fastest, yes, but red has the most torque.

viking
04-17-2015, 12:28 PM
I was going to order up a couple spares for my boat. I have the Ballast Puppy pumps. So the Consensus is the ORANGE is the Newest and Greatest?
Seems as though the orange comes with the new generation Ultra Ballast pumps but backwards compatible with the ballast puppies (which come with green). Both the same price so doesn't matter either way from $$ standpoint.

uniwarking
04-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Different manufacturers I believe is the only difference, no noticeable gains in performance or life (according to wake makers). I just ordered an orange one because it was slightly cheaper where I purchased and I wanted to see if I noticed any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk