PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone lifted their boat off the trailer?

brain_rinse
04-03-2015, 11:23 AM
I know I could just drop the boat in the lake and then replace the trailer bunk carpet, but I've also got quite a few scratches from the exposed lumber on the bottom of the hull. I'd like to be able to lift the boat up off the bunks, even if it's just half the boat at a time, so I can buff out the hull and replace the carpet. Any suggestions or ideas?

zabooda
04-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I've replaced my bunks and carpet before and nothing is as easy as floating the boat off. Check the condition of the wood now and determine if new boards are needed. It is quicker to have new boards and carpet staged and you can install them in the parking lot with the help of cordless tools.

You can tend to the hull by offsetting the boat on the trailer and then realign when done.

brain_rinse
04-03-2015, 02:19 PM
I've replaced my bunks and carpet before and nothing is as easy as floating the boat off. Check the condition of the wood now and determine if new boards are needed. It is quicker to have new boards and carpet staged and you can install them in the parking lot with the help of cordless tools.

You can tend to the hull by offsetting the boat on the trailer and then realign when done.

Great advice, thanks! I like the idea of offsetting the boat on the trailer.

parrothd
04-03-2015, 04:20 PM
I've jacked the trailer and boat as high as possible then use carpet, wood and cinder blocks to hold the boat up, then lower the trailer. Definitely easier to launch the boat and do the repairs in the parking lot..

996scott
04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
I needed to replace the bunks and carpet on my last trailer. Called around to a couple of local boat dealers asking if the had a lift I could use. One said to come buy on a sat when the shop was closed and for a few $ he would lift it off for me and let me do the work. It was slick and only cost a few bucks. Might be worth calling around. Other than that doing it at the lake is probably your best bet.

kaneboats
04-06-2015, 12:23 PM
I've taken my new bunk, slid it under and lifted one side with the floor jack. You then remove and replace the bunks on that side. When you lower it, you do the same on the other side but use the old bunk from the first side to lift the boat. Voila!