PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a helmet

Smrtz
05-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Im just curious if anyone out there wears a helmet when riding behind the boat.. We dont hit any rails.. But obviously we do take our share of falls.

Ive had my bell rung a few times (wow cool stars!!) Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks

EUSTACE
05-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Smrtz, Here are my comments from the “Injuries???” post with regards to wearing a helmet. At this point it’s the same as putting on my life vest,,, its second nature.

Two concussions over the last two years, 04 - I went in the water inverted with my back towards the rear of the boat. The result was dizziness for about at day, whiplash, and I blew both contacts out of my eyes on impact.

05 - was less severe then the previous, was just dizzy for an hour or so. But it did prompt me to get a helmet.

Yeah, I look like a dork but the helmet has given me some renewed confidence and I find myself at 38 charging into the wake like a champ.

Ian Brantford
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I agree completely. Helmets are now mandatory for riders behind my boat, after experiencing or watching several incidents where a helmet clearly would have mitigated the outcome.

BTW, Pro-tec makes helmets that are non-dorky-looking. I have a kayaking helmet, and that's dorky. I'm getting a Pro-tec like my buddy has.

My protective gear includes:

- helmet with ear flaps. See http://www.pro-tec.net

- Neck Roll. See http://cinchmax.com/_wsn/page3.html

- wakeboarding vest with siped exterior

Previous threads to encourage you:

https://forum.moomba.com/read.php?TID=2385&page=1

https://forum.moomba.com/read.php?TID=2274&page=1

Best wishes!
Ian

Smrtz
05-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Im sold! Im gonna order one later today!

Thanks again for the support and input!

EUSTACE
05-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I also use a Pro Tec, which works for me just fine. Shred Ready www.shredready.com makes some decent looking helmets as far as it goes.

Be well, E

cobra219
05-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Being someone who has survived a broken neck as an eighteen year old while doing elbows and kness, I would have to endorse any equipment which might save your ass from serious injury. I accept all of my minor injuries as the price you pay (happily) for having a good time on the water. But you really don't want to face the consequences of a head or neck injury. Trust me.

Safe boating,

Dave

Smrtz
05-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Bought the Pro tec helmet today at my local board shop... what a difference!

Thanks for all the advice

J

seanpatsdad
05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Smrtz
I ride a hydrofoil and would never ride without my pro-tec wakeboard helmet.The biggest fear is ,I have heard that blowing out a ear drum is very painful.Have fun.
John

cobra219
05-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Blowing out an ear drum IS no fun. Done that. Sounds like you have a waterfall in your ear for a couple of weeks, plus, no swimmimg for atleast three weeks...

Dave

Smrtz
05-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Is that why they have the ear flaps on the helmet, to help protect your ear from poping off the water and blowing out an eardrum?

06-05-2006, 02:24 AM
My only concern about wearing a helmet is you have now increased the surface area that has to break the water. This could increase your chances of a neck injury. I am not saying "don't wear a helmet", but just providing another point of view.

Ian Brantford
06-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by smrtz

Is that why they have the ear flaps on the helmet, to help protect your ear from poping off the water and blowing out an eardrum?

Yep. That's why.

I got my new Pro-Tec helmet last week. Hopefully I'll get to try it out this week. Comparing it to my kayaking helmet from last year, the Pro-Tec comes down a bit lower around the ears and neck, the ear flaps snap at slightly lower points, and the flaps are somewhat cupped instead of flat. This is all good, as I managed to sustain a minor ear injury last year despite the flaps -- a hard fall was still like getting punched in the ear, and my doctor explained that fairly delicate layers of tissue go from the exterior of the ear all the way into the canal. It was fine after a couple of weeks, and I'm sure that it was nothing compared to an eardrum injury.

One note that's a bit negative about recent changes in Pro-Tec helmets: starting last year, they changed from two sizes (S/M and M/L) to four sizes for better choice of fit -- but the interior is no longer adjustable using removeable pads. At least, my size Medium isn't adjustable this way. My friend's 2004 model M/L had the pads.

Ian

Smrtz
06-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks Ian for the feedback. Ive had the opportunity to go out and use my protec about 4 times now. Every person who has come out during this time has used the helmet and i get the same response from everyone....."I cant believe we have been boarding this whole time with no helmets"

For those of you reading this and saying what do I need a helmet for... try it!

05mobiusxlv
06-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Thats correct, only problem with the flaps is that its hard to hear the tunes from the tower speakers then. :p

I talked about my messed up neck in the "injuries" post, and Ian recommended the "neck roll". In my opinion, this is just as important as a helmet. I showed it to my physical therapist, and he stamped his approval on it. He said if I would have had it on, I would more then likely not have the problems I do. You can hardly tell you are wearing it, and it will not let your neck take a blow. Check it out, and get one coming, neck injuries suck!

http://cinchmax.com/_wsn/page3.html

Smrtz
06-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah I saw that posted a couple of times... I dont quite understand how it works or stays on.. the pic doesnt give a good idea of the actual size of it....

One of the guys I board with frequently had a neck injury last year and it took months to get over... Im going to recommend it to him forsure

05mobiusxlv
06-17-2006, 07:59 PM
It has a bungee cord attached to it, that goes under your arms. Once you get your life vest on, it stays in place well. Its comfortable, and once you are boarding, you forget you are wearing it. You can still move your neck, and look around. If you have a bad fall or face plant, it cushions your neck, and does not let your neck get whipped around.