PDA

View Full Version : Balance 14" bias ply trailer tires? I have heard both yes and no.

trayson
03-31-2015, 12:46 PM
The trailer shop I am buying my new wheels/tires from says that they don't balance the bias ply tires on their trailers they manufacture. They only balance on radials.

Should I pay a local shop to balance my bias ply tires? Or just go with the seller of the wheels/tires that said my bias ply tires don't need to be balanced (and something about they won't likely retain their balance).

gregski
03-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money/effort. The shop I use does not balance them but they do a "close enough" approach of offsetting the heavy side of the tire vs. the wheel. Balancing helps with comfort (no concern for a trailer), minimizing wear on suspension/steering parts (again, no concern for a basic suspension of a trailer) and to help extend the wear of the tire. I don't think the tire wear will be significantly affected. I know my trailer tires reach end-of-life due to age long before tread wear, but I probably trailer less than 400 miles per season so your use may be a bit different. It would take me 30 years to put on 12k miles!

trayson
03-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money/effort. The shop I use does not balance them but they do a "close enough" approach of offsetting the heavy side of the tire vs. the wheel. Balancing helps with comfort (no concern for a trailer), minimizing wear on suspension/steering parts (again, no concern for a basic suspension of a trailer) and to help extend the wear of the tire. I don't think the tire wear will be significantly affected. I know my trailer tires reach end-of-life due to age long before tread wear, but I probably trailer less than 400 miles per season so your use may be a bit different. It would take me 30 years to put on 12k miles!

I always get cracks in my tire rubber before the tread wears out. Maybe now that my trailer is going to live under the carport out of the sun's UV rays, they'll last longer...

gregski
03-31-2015, 01:33 PM
I always get cracks in my tire rubber before the tread wears out. Maybe now that my trailer is going to live under the carport out of the sun's UV rays, they'll last longer...

They will do much better living out of the sun but the rubber still degrades with time. The usual recommendation I've seen is to replace in the 5-8 year range. I usually press on to 8-10.

Andy Digital
03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Why bias? When sitting for long periods of time they can develop flat spots. Takes a while for them to warm up and even out again.

Go radial and fuggedaboutit

trayson
03-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Why bias? When sitting for long periods of time they can develop flat spots. Takes a while for them to warm up and even out again.

Go radial and fuggedaboutit

Crap, I just realized that I bought 2 bias ply tires, and didn't realize the 3 existing tires on my trailer are radials.

Now I have to see if the place I bought them from will take the tires back (they already mounted the two on the wheels I bought) and if they are willing to take the tires back, how much I'd eat on shipping on the deal. It might make more sense to sell the bias ply locally.

Damn. Wish I would have paid more attention.

mmandley
03-31-2015, 05:11 PM
I only run radials.

I have them balanced because I don't want them bouncing and causing flat spots.

I treat my trailer tires like my truck tires, its carrying a 70k boat.

trayson
03-31-2015, 05:22 PM
I only run radials.

I have them balanced because I don't want them bouncing and causing flat spots.

I treat my trailer tires like my truck tires, its carrying a 70k boat.

Yeah, that's why I'm mad at myself for messing up and ordering 2 bias. I'm going to end up buying a pair of radials and will likely take a loss on re-selling the new bias tires. GRRR.

mmandley
03-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm mad at myself for messing up and ordering 2 bias. I'm going to end up buying a pair of radials and will likely take a loss on re-selling the new bias tires. GRRR.

Make one a spare, resale second as a spare

trayson
03-31-2015, 05:31 PM
Make one a spare, resale second as a spare

Yeah, I know I could. But I figure if I am gonna do it, I'll take the hit and do it right. 5 matching wheels, 5 radial tires.

I mean look at what happened last year for labor day weekend, I had to do basically the whole Prineville and back on the spare.