PDA

View Full Version : Pumps running dry & check valves...

BrettLee3232
03-31-2015, 03:38 AM
This weekend I noticed my pumps were running dry trying to get all the water out of my bags. I assume the 15 Mondo does not come with check valves?

Is it bad for the pump to run dry?

Does the stock ballast setup have check valves?

Check valves should only be used on vent lines so your not sucking air in the bag, correct?

jstenger
03-31-2015, 06:43 AM
No check valves from the factory.
It is bad to run the pumps dry for an extended period.
Stock ballast does not have check valves.
Add check valves to your bag vents to suck them dry.
Do not add a check valve to your hard tank.

MLA
03-31-2015, 07:45 AM
If you have a tank and soft sac combo, look to make sure they do not sure vent plumbing. If so and you add the check valve, you will tin-can the tank.

mmandley
03-31-2015, 09:42 AM
I added check valves to my rear sacs this winter for that reason.

Running the pumps dry is bad but they now cone with green impeller which is better then the older black ones for running dry. I carry a couple spare green impeller in case I burn one up.

I have a vent on my IBS, but it's not tired to my hard tank. Both operate sparsely of each other.

mattl
03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Running the pumps dry is bad but they now cone with green impeller which is better then the older black ones for running dry. I carry a couple spare green impeller in case I burn one up.

Where is best place to order spares?

mmandley
03-31-2015, 10:22 AM
I order mine through Wake Makers

BrettLee3232
03-31-2015, 01:53 PM
No check valves from the factory.
It is bad to run the pumps dry for an extended period.
Stock ballast does not have check valves.
Add check valves to your bag vents to suck them dry.
Do not add a check valve to your hard tank.

Thanks, good to know!

If you have a tank and soft sac combo, look to make sure they do not sure vent plumbing. If so and you add the check valve, you will tin-can the tank.

I wonder how I can add a check valve to my ibs and bypass the hard tank? I have 2 fill lines...starboard and port.

I added check valves to my rear sacs this winter for that reason.

I have a vent on my IBS, but it's not tired to my hard tank. Both operate sparsely of each other.

Did you do that yourself? How can I tell if my hard tank is vented separately?

Where is best place to order spares?

http://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-puppy-green-neoprene-impeller.html

I would like to add check valves cause I always have water in my bags at the end of the day.

jstenger
03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Check valves for the rear bags are easy. Most use the cheaper Wakemakers flapper version.

How many thru hulls do you have at the bow. If you only have one, which is most likely, then your tank vents thru your IBS. If there are two, then you have separate tank and IBS vents.

If your tank vents thru the IBS, and based on the fact that both your IBS legs have fill lines, I wouldn't bother with a check valve since both legs of the IBS will be drained when the tank is drained. By the time the tank is drained, any water that would have been left in the IBS would have been sucked out.

MLA
03-31-2015, 02:22 PM
I wonder how I can add a check valve to my ibs and bypass the hard tank? I have 2 fill lines...starboard and port.

If a tank and sac share a vent thru-hull outlet, you need to add the check valve after the sac but before the junction with the tank's vent line. This insures the tank will freely vent, while the drain suction on the sac will be met by the check valve.