PDA

View Full Version : Starter Questions

kerryoneal
03-30-2015, 09:39 PM
I have a 2008 LSV with the 325 MPI Indmar Engine.

1. Where is the starter located?

2. What is the Starter Bendix and where is this located?

When trying to start it is just not catching like it should and takes a couple of attempts to get the starter going and get it started. I recently changed both batteries so I know it's not that.

any ideas?

Thanks for any response!

Beejwest
03-31-2015, 10:39 AM
1. Starboard side of motor, towards the aft section, looks like a 4-5" round metal case with a couple large gauge wires running into it. Basically it sits where it can engage the fly wheel.

2. The bendix is the device that allows the pinion gear to engage the teeth on the fly wheel. It's basically an inertially controlled spring that shoots the gear into the flywheel so that the rotational energy of the starter can crank your motor.

Sometimes bendix's go bad and the starter motor is fine. No one seems to just replace bendix's any more. If you buy a new starter it will come preassembled with a new bendix. If you want to keep running and can't afford a new starter, and your starter motor is fine and the bendix is sticky, you can tap it with a small mallet just prior to key engagement and get her to crank for you, but if it's not engaging you should replace it. Easy DIY job on the LSV. Get into the Starboard locker, drop the compartment wall, a few bolts and electrical connections and you should be good to go.

When I get home today I'll get you some pics of mine.

sivs1
03-31-2015, 11:09 AM
I have a 2008 LSV with the 325 MPI Indmar Engine.

I recently changed both batteries so I know it's not that.

any ideas?

Thanks for any response!

I had bought brand new batteries a few years ago, they had enough juice to start once after I installed them while still in the driveway, next day at the dock they were pretty much dead and I had to use my jump box. All depends on how long the batteries were sitting before you bought them.

Just a thought.

trayson
03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
I have had starters rebuilt and they fixed the bendix. it's part of the whole assembly and you'd need to take it to a local starter/alternator shop to have it rebuilt.

Marine starters cost 3x as much as automotive. They have a little bit more sealing to keep it from going sparky/sparky and supposedly blowing your engine up.

In my 1992 Supra, it had a separate starter relay that went bad and caused my starter to fail a few times before I realized that was the issue. The relay was pretty cheap, like under $20. I have no idea of the newer boats have the same kind of relay, but something to look into.

Prices for marine stuff are all across the board. do your research before you buy.

Andy Digital
03-31-2015, 02:18 PM
Whether it's a starter, alternator, thermostat, whatev - NEVER tell them it's for a boat unless you like to pay 3x as much for the same components. Ex: A high-flow thermostat at an auto parts store IS a marine thermostat.

kerryoneal
03-31-2015, 03:27 PM
pics would be great thanks.

lee
03-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Whether it's a starter, alternator, thermostat, whatev - NEVER tell them it's for a boat unless you like to pay 3x as much for the same components. Ex: A high-flow thermostat at an auto parts store IS a marine thermostat.

If it is a starter or alternator ALWAYS tell them it is for a boat. You do not want an automotive piece in your boat.

Beejwest
04-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Ok these are from my '07 LSV, same 325 Assault as yours. 2168821689216902169221693

1. Starboard engine access
2. Basically under the dipstick on the "rear" of the motor or fore end of the motor as it sits in the boat
3. The shiny silver thing is the Starter solenoid
4. The black cylinder is the starter motor
5. Wiring attachements to solenoid, the large red wire runs straight to your starter batt

Beejwest
04-01-2015, 03:11 PM

6. Under belly of starter motor, those to bolts are what allows you to unmount the whole unit
7. The starter as it sits

Sorry it took me so long to post these. I always have about 14 projects runnning simultaneously and that included smoking a delicious 17 lb boston butt last night. Beers may have also gotten in the way of me posting sooner! :cool:

Beejwest
04-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Forgot to mention like Trayson said, the bendix/starter come as one assembly. There are locations that rebuild them, but they are sorta rare, and getting harder to find. My recommendation would be to order a replacement online. Or check your batt voltage with a meter. You can always tap that shiny solenoid I pointed out too, sometimes they get sticky.