PDA

View Full Version : Board Recommendations

millerda68
03-30-2015, 04:57 PM
I am looking for some recommendations for a board. We got a CWB board the first year we got the boat. It was fun to ride, but never got to the point where I could go no-rope on the ride. Last summer Mike lent me his Grind Water board and that was a HUGE difference. Naturally I am a goofy rider. By the end of the summer I was able to ride equally goofy or regular, and no-rope.

I have seen the Cove boards on ebay (demo's for $325) and the Doomswell boards that are around $675 for the nubstep. I do like that you can customize the Doomswell boards. I have also seen soulcraft on tossed around on the forum too. I would like to stay in that price bracket. I know there are boards that go well above the $675 mark. For what I do, I think that is a bit excessive (at least for now).

I would like some recommendations from those who have ridden various boards and have a bit more experience. I am 5'7" and 180. Not really looking to do jumps or spins, but have a solid board for riding that will last for a while. I guess I would fall into the intermediate level of rider.

Last detail is those riding the board would range from my size to somewhere in the 6'2" 225 range.

Hopefully that gives enough for some recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Derek

wolfeman131
03-30-2015, 05:01 PM
the Cove is a skim board while the Doomswell & Soulcraft are surf style boards. Very different.

You can check out what folks thought of different boards from Southern Surfest.

http://southernsurfest.com/?page_id=17

If you have Doomswell or Soulcraft make a board for you, I wouldn't let someone 45lbs heavier ride it. I'd steer you towards an Inland Surfer board or Phase 5 which, I think, you would find more durable and forgiving for different weight ranges.

muehlcj
03-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Check out any of the boards wolfeman has for sale in the classifieds. You will prob be able to get a surf style and skim for a total in your price range. Plus the inland surfer or phase boards he has for sale will be more duarable then the custom stuff like DW or SC. When you are ready for the next step order one of the customs.

mmandley
03-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Sent you a Text Derrick, we should have a board day, I can bring SC, Doomswell, and a coupe current Inland Surfers

millerda68
03-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the input all & thanks Mike for the offer. We will get some sun and hit the water!

slipperyrockTKE300
03-31-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm a little surprised you aren't able to free ride the ride.

I'm about the same size as you - 5'9" currently about 180 (injured and haven't been running), and my ride is the board I choose when I'm tired and just want to coast for a while.

I can surf that thing all day long - it's my "cruiser".

My primary board is an Inland Surfer Blue Lake.

trayson
03-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Sent you a Text Derrick, we should have a board day, I can bring SC, Doomswell, and a coupe current Inland Surfers

You could also hook up with me. I ride on the Columbia River and have a 4'6 Doomswell Nubstep. I also have access pretty much whenever I want to a Lakewakes flying Saucer skim and also a Lakewakes hooligan surf style board that was made for a rider about your size. Honestly I wasn't happy with the hooligan, but I should probably give it another try. My feeling after riding the hooligan was "give me back my doomswell".

If you were going to order a doomswell, I'd ask Brock what he thinks between a Nubstep vs a bigstep... the 4'6 nubstep is perfect for me, but I'm 5'10 and 169. Although Mike and Steven can ride the 4'4" doomswell drone, so size isn't everything.