PDA

View Full Version : Wet sounds rev 8 v exile xm9

mattl
03-29-2015, 12:42 PM
I have narrowed a tower speaker selection down to a pair of wet sounds rev 8 v a pair of exile xm9.

What are the pros and cons of each? It seems exile is very popular on the forum for customer service and the fender balls.

I really like the wet sound ws 420 with ability to talk over the tower speaker, but exile doesn't seem to have that or did I over look that?
Also how well does the gear as mix of brands. I assume that could be a problem if there is warranty work needed.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

jstenger
03-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Let the battling begin!!!

KG's Supra24
03-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Rev10 and WS 420 unless the PM's you get offer a price break too good to turn down ;)

For $150 extra, I don't see a reason not to jump to the 10 (especially with one pair) other than to give Exile a chance to compete.

viking
03-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Rev10 and WS 420 unless the PM's you get offer a price break too good to turn down ;)

For $150 extra, I don't see a reason not to jump to the 10 (especially with one pair) other than to give Exile a chance to compete.

DONE. End of Story. THREAD OVER................NOT!!
I agree with KG but this is just getting started. Soon to be blown up.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/popcorn-gifs/tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

MLA
03-29-2015, 02:28 PM
I have narrowed a tower speaker selection down to a pair of wet sounds rev 8 v a pair of exile xm9.

Both are 8" HLCD speakers. Unless there has been a revision, the xm9 only has a 1.5" voice coil compression driver compared to the Rev-8 2.0" voice coil. This equals more power handling deeper mid-bass extension. Although the xm9 pods looks large, the internal volume is pretty close to the Rev-8

The Rev-8 offers 3 clamping options, direct, fixed clamp and swivel. The TC3-S swivel allows for not only the speaker leads to be concealed in the collar, but also 4 smaller leads for the optional LEDs. They use a male and female terminal, so there is a positive connection between all the leads, even as the pod is swiveled. The exile method uses an old style head-phone jack. This has a plated male post contacting a thin spring tab inside the collar. These are prone to wear spots, resulting in poor contact.

It seems exile is very popular on the forum for customer service

No disputing there are plenty of exile issues that pop up here, and then get taken care of. What you dont see, are thousands of satisfied Wet Sounds customers that have purchased through their local dealers. This gives the consumer a number of advantages over having to deal through the internet. You get to demo the product prior to purchase. You get local on sight support such as system design, installation and tuning. If an issue arises later, they will also work with you to resolve it. You also get full factory support.

I really like the wet sound ws 420 with ability to talk over the tower speaker, but exile doesn't seem to have that or did I over look that?

Heres another huge difference between the WS-420SQ and the zld.

The 420 is a dual EQ in a single chassis, where as the zld is a single EQ. The WS-420 allows you to tune the tower speakers independently of the in-boat speakers and visa verse. With the zld, what ever EQ adjustments you make to one zone, you are also making to the other zone. Compare that alone considering the two units are the same retail price.

Also how well does the gear as mix of brands.

Electrically, there are no issues amps, speakers and subs can all live in harmony.

David Analog
03-29-2015, 02:28 PM
You got to love these threads.
Matt,
You raised two product comparisons, one the EQs and the other the tower speakers.
So between the EQs...
Both have the same price and you can get a deal on both.
Yes, the Wetsounds has the PA/mic that you won't find on the Exile. That is very beneficial, especially when teaching.
But there are far more important differences.
The Wetsounds EQ has BT options, and several of them. Not in the develop stage but here and now.
The biggest issue is that the Wetsounds actually has two full zone equalizers in a single chassis. So you can make tonal adjustments to the tower zone without effecting the in-boat zone, with the inverse also being true. This feature I huge.
The Exile has front panel clutter, much of which is not necessary, such as a polarity inversion and an adjustable lowpass filter for the subwoofer. Both features are included within the input section of most every amplifier so there is no point in having redundancy. In fact both should be set once in tuning a system for optimum performance and should not be continuously variable. Also, I do not want the negative phase implications of cascaded lowpass filters. So those are a couple of marks against the Exile EQ. These are simply antiquated features from a shared EQ platform dating back to the '80s and '90s. Common on EQs in the $50 to $80 price point but not on higher end EQs, unless fully defeatable.

David Analog
03-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Wetsounds Rev8 versus Exile XM9...
They are both 8-inch speakers by every industry standard. Not sure where the '9' model designation comes from. The Exile has 5/16" more effective diameter (peak of surround to peak of surround), about the same as the width of a #2 pencil, which by itself is too minimal in surface area to translate into a perceivable output difference.
Here is what I like about the Wetsounds Rev8 design,
* Polyglass composite midbass cone. Immediately you can tell how much more rigid this cone is as compared to basic poly cone. The Wetsounds Polyglass cone has far less cone break-up modes when driven hard.
*Larger voice coil on the Rev8 means more power handling.
*The Rev8 has a fully developed one-piece horn geometry. It's not interrupted like the Exile when it transitions with a seam from a tube to a grill used to finish off the horn flare. The horn geometry on the Rev8 is designed for a smooth response, as smooth as you can get from a high output HLCD. The Exile is a long straight pipe followed by an abrupt flare, which emulates more of a trumpet. And so the Exile has a distinct sonic signature.
*The Rev8 is voiced for the best linearity you can get from an HLCD. To me the Exile highs sound like someone has serious hearing loss. The Exile high frequency accentuation certainly helps the peak output but grates on me quickly.
*There is more bracing inside the Rev8 pod to support the heavy driver and add to the pod structural integrity.
*All wires are concealed on both, but the Rev8 has a quick disconnect collar system that provides far better grip and contact area and is exceptionally reliable. The Wetsounds contacts are like a high power SpeakOn or Neutrik connector used in prosound heavy, higher current, speaker connections, where the Exile uses a 1/4" phone jack, like a low level guitar cord.
*The Wetsounds has a swivel/disconnect collar as an option. It costs a bit more but you get quality.
The collar has a nylon thread retainer plus a stainless steel fork to make absolutely certain that the pod stays on the tower until you want it off. It's extra insurance. Very smart engineering. Well worth the extra cost.
*The Exile has an attenuation switch for the tweeter in the nose cone. But here's the issue with a passive attenuation circuit. By the time it is enough to make an audible attenuation difference it is beginning to mess up the crossover....since crossover elements are dependent on the resistive value to determine the frequency. With a 2nd or 3rd order crossover with both series and parallel elements, this gets messy. So this is best left up to active equalization like you have with the Wetounds EQ with the independent zones.

newty
03-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Wow, MLA and David have an opinion on the matter? Wait so you pro Wetsounds?
This is ridiculous, you copy and paste this stuff? They are great both fantastic products, but you two have a have an obvious beef with Exile. This gets so old. Don't you guys have anything better to do with your Sunday than jump on every VS thread and spew?
"Honey I'll be right there, someone on the internet is about to by Exile!"
24 karat stupid.

sandm
03-29-2015, 04:53 PM
and interesting in that neither one sells them online so really no horse in the race.

really wish there were more dealers that sold both so you could demo them both.

I bought wetsounds speakers and am happy with the product, but I believe that I would be equally as happy with exile as well. lots of people give them rave reviews and both tim and brian offer top notch customer service showing their level of commitment to both brands....

David Analog
03-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Newty,
Or maybe we could just freely expound on the merits of the products and differences as we view or understand them.
Instead of trying to create motives and reasons for why statements are made or why preferences exist.
I guess that is an effective way to dismiss a contrary opinion.
Is there any part of the post that you know to be untrue?

David Analog
03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
and interesting in that neither one sells them online so really no horse in the race.

really wish there were more dealers that sold both so you could demo them both.

I bought wetsounds speakers and am happy with the product, but I believe that I would be equally as happy with exile as well. lots of people give them rave reviews and both tim and brian offer top notch customer service showing their level of commitment to both brands....

I agree with everything in your post.
There are lots of members here that own Exile and are happy with Exile.
I also believe Exile becomes very attractive at a certain price....just not at the same head to head price as Wetsounds on the two products specifically being compared here in this thread by the OP....for many of the reasons that I cited above.
Exile does a great job of taking care of it's on-line customers. And so does Wetsounds, as do many other retailers every day. Those examples just aren't promoted as actively.
We hear of many problems that get resolved in a very satisfactory way. Wetsounds has annual sales many, many times that of Exile, yet we hear of fewer overall problems.

newty
03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
David not at all, but you and MLA both retailers of WS (or retired) and terminated as Exile retailers, you obviously had a dog in the fight.
I'm merely saying you guys hate Exile so much that you will spend unbelievable amounts of time in a day to discredit them.
I just can't imagine wasting that much time of my life especially on Sunday to write this.
Do you guys have lives, or families you could be spending time with? I guarantee the exile folks aren't going to post because they are spending time enjoying their weekend with family and friends.
Your technical ramblings are at a 20,000ft level for 99% of users. People don't even read this crap anymore. Quit wasting the OPs time.
It's all just noise...

MLA
03-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Wow, MLA and David have an opinion on the matter? Wait so you pro Wetsounds?
This is ridiculous, you copy and paste this stuff? They are great both fantastic products, but you two have a have an obvious beef with Exile. This gets so old. Don't you guys have anything better to do with your Sunday than jump on every VS thread and spew?
"Honey I'll be right there, someone on the internet is about to by Exile!"
24 karat stupid.

Its "buy"

:p

So, beyond the personal comments toward me, what is your input? How do you think these particular products actually compare? Is there anything posted that is inaccurate or incorrect that you would like to further discuss?

David not at all, but you and MLA both retailers of WS (or retired) and terminated as Exile retailers, you obviously had a dog in the fight

Sadly, Someone has been given some inaccurate info in this regard.

Funny thing is, you seem to have spent as much time in this thread, all be it not one word is on topic, as i have LOL!

David Analog
03-29-2015, 06:00 PM
newty,
You just retuned to the same tactic of trying to invent motivation for why statements are made in order to dismiss those statements. It would appear that you are acting as part of the Exile camp and simply regurgitating what Exile tells you.
If you want some truth contact me privately. This is not the place to air that laundry. But I definitely have something to share in order to set the record straight. I really welcome that inquiry.
I've been totally retired from the industry for two years. So I really don't have a horse in the race.
I do have strong opinions, I love to talk audio, have a low tolerance for inaccuracies, and do get very technical. I like technical because I like objective. There is plenty of other space for others to speak in the realm of more basic terms or in the subjective. Both should be part of an open forum. Sometimes I might enlighten and bring new perspectives on things people may not have considered otherwise. Some may anticipate it. Some undoubtedly tune it out. That's my contribution. Not everyone agrees. Some strongly disagree. And I can live with that because again, I really don't have a horse in this race. I have no gain or loss by brand preferences and what people do with their buying decisions.
So maybe back to the OP question?

newty
03-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Its "buy"

So, beyond the personal comments toward me, what is your input? How do you think these particular products actually compare? Is there anything posted that is inaccurate or incorrect that you would like to further discuss?

Sadly, Someone has been given some inaccurate info in this regard.

Funny thing is, you seem to have spent as much time in this thread, all be it not one word is on topic, as i have LOL!

Thank for the spell check and the cute smiley face.
No personal comments were made.
It's sad I know, however this is the first time I posted in regard to your WS fanboy posts.
Share with us what you do for a living MLA. So we can better understand your WS fan base.
It's buy... Its buy...

csm
03-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Its "buy"

... time in this thread, all be it not one word ...

It's 'albeit'..... ;)

MLA
03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
It's 'albeit'..... ;)

Glad to see some are actually reading the threads, not just keying off who is posting :cool:

ian ashton
03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
I've heard boats with Exile that sound terrible. I've heard boats with WetSounds that sound terrible.

They must both be bad!

Kraco is the only way to go!

jmvotto
03-29-2015, 09:11 PM
My BMW goes over 100 mph and so does my Audi. Which one is better going to the store?:confused:

This does get old..

A few posts ago, a question about jl vs exile came up and it turn into this crap again.

Both great marine products for what we do as a hobby, enjoy boating!

brain_rinse
03-29-2015, 10:29 PM
I had the WS420 since I wanted the mic, and Exile speakers on the tower. It sounded great and nothing exploded. Both companies make great stuff.

David Analog
03-29-2015, 11:00 PM
I had the WS420 since I wanted the mic, and Exile speakers on the tower. It sounded great and nothing exploded. Both companies make great stuff.

That's awesome! At least if there was flash combustion when combing these two caustic elements you would have the mic to warn..."LOOK OUT!!!"

wolfeman131
03-29-2015, 11:03 PM
I grilled ribs & asparagus for dinner tonight.

It was delicious, but now my pee smells awful.

beat taco
03-30-2015, 12:31 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/2976757ac6de342d216e7cda090c67ba.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/8a5b75e6e1502713523520579d9bbd18.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/5bc015fc4e415f45a327d33d18a8163f.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/fddd179da7a973f85ef05f8ef95b0726.jpg

beat taco
03-30-2015, 12:32 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/ac4183aa1aab9465a8b3d5df28c7aed8.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/b46d67002599c8829bc35c70c910b553.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/797933390448c0f09754571f27f353cf.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/36a748427c93b89485f8bcf98476ea43.jpg

beat taco
03-30-2015, 12:33 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/a44ee76980ae38c4e91c6a219281faab.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/041b979cadb22edf792623618134f11e.jpg

Go see the installs on Instagram. Winning.

newty
03-30-2015, 12:48 AM
I get a silly feeling, seeing all the stacks of audio equipment. :D

beat taco
03-30-2015, 01:34 AM
You get local on sight support such as system design, installation and tuning.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/f053a431479ac00f1017fbffe29bf873.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/7453ee0186b31a3633c036f2c641899f.jpg

sandm
03-30-2015, 07:35 AM
man do I feel sorry for the op in this thread. 21 posts and wonder if he will make it to 22 after this thread.....

I have to admit, I get a little giddy looking at the stacks of audio gear, no matter the vendor. like a kid at christmas...
I'd take any of those stacks in my boat...

mmandley
03-30-2015, 08:55 AM
man do I feel sorry for the op in this thread. 21 posts and wonder if he will make it to 22 after this thread.....

I have to admit, I get a little giddy looking at the stacks of audio gear, no matter the vendor. like a kid at christmas...
I'd take any of those stacks in my boat...

When i see those stacks, I feel fiberglass in my hands, wire end stabbing my finger tips. Sore knees, shoulders, back from contortions in the cubby.

Lol

MLA
03-30-2015, 09:03 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/f053a431479ac00f1017fbffe29bf873.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/29/7453ee0186b31a3633c036f2c641899f.jpg

Their you go, another person paying attention to the content, LOL

KG's Supra24
03-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Oh man ... this argument has taken us all the way to their vs there.

beat taco
03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/30/fb72130c551e1b36fc97dcb1dc5b7ffa.jpg

MLA
03-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Oh man ... this argument has taken us all the way to their vs there.

Wye knot, the only to trying to stay on topic, are catching flack from one particular camp.

MLA
03-30-2015, 10:39 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/30/fb72130c551e1b36fc97dcb1dc5b7ffa.jpg

Oh yes, the WW fender ball thread.

I know just about everyone here gets the exile emails, so you've got the see the humor in the spelling and grammar.

liquid_acid
03-30-2015, 11:01 AM
From my personal experience, both sound great. I don't think you can go wrong. What sold me on the exile xm9's was the clamps and the overall look. I like that I can easily remove the speakers when it's in my driveway or spin them right around when parked on the island. I know WS has the swivel clamp. I just liked exiles overall look and design better.

I just purchased two pairs of the xm9's as well as two pairs of the sx65m's. I currently have the ws420sq and love it.

I still can't figure out why people get so fired up about this topic. Happens every time. It even came to attacking grammar and spelling.

.....what I want to know is when is the wetsounds A-Link being released!?

KG's Supra24
03-30-2015, 11:40 AM
I still can't figure out why people get so fired up about this topic. Happens every time. It even came to attacking grammar and spelling.

A feeling of indebtedness is my guess.

Price being the same, I don't see any arguments for Exile > Wetsounds. Most of the forum members can, but won't, tell you they didn't pay MSRP for Exile.

csm
03-30-2015, 11:48 AM
The grammar/spelling stuff is all in good fun. I appreciate the audio guys input on the forums, as they have helped me debug multiple issues.

Back to the topic, here is what I've found, which is in no way comprehensive. I purchased my boat used, and it had all Exile when I bought it, so I haven't had to make this decision yet.

Pros/Cons of the XM9:
- I'm not an audiophile, but to my ear they sound great, and one pair is louder than I'll ever need.
- As mentioned, the customer service is fantastic, as I'm sure WetSounds service is as well.
- I agree with the comments about the guitar style connector. I'm not a fan. It's convenient to attach/remove the speaker, but I've had issues with the connection that the guitar style makes. I occasionally have to rattle the speaker around a little.

WS420 vs. ZLD:
- I've owned both, and for pure functionality, you can't beat the WS420.
- I find that when the boat is underway, the WS420 is harder for me to manipulate, especially the outer rings. The rubber coating on mine also eventually degraded. I'm not sure if the newer version still have a rubber coating on the knobs, but mine all started tearing off, which I found annoying.
- If I had to choose again, I would still choose the WS420. It just does everything you need, and the mic is also awesome.

David Analog
03-30-2015, 12:02 PM
You really cannot rationally argue with someone, anyone over what sounds best to them or what looks best to them, or who they feel comfortable doing business with. You can only express your own opinion on these matters.
Sometimes people draw comparisons between their favorite and another product that they do not own, and really know little about. That's a source of irritation.
Unless I am drawn into some other tangent, I like to talk about actual design and build quality differences. Those things aren't necessarily a dealer breaker or maker either way. But they are things that I would recognize that others may not. Whenever something new came out, when I was once involved, I would open it up (at least one product from any given series) and dissect it, in as much detail as possible. Been doing that with everything for as long as I can remember. And I have always been very vocal about what I found to manufacturers, yes publically, but to an even greater degree privately. Sometimes that 'push' in the form of critical feedback makes for better products. And it definitely has in this category.
After owning Class D amplifiers does anyone really want to return to Class AB?
Initially ALL HLCDS sounded absolutely awful. It didn't matter if you had a Wetsounds Pro60 or an Exile XM7. Although they sounded a little different, and not as different as owner's opinions would suggest, they both sounded equally bad and either 6.5" could hurt you. Because of the 'push back' products got better and today both companies have discontinued their 6.5" HLCD offerings. From a production standpoint, it costs little extra to make an 8" versus a 6.5". Both companies now make an 8-inch surf speaker also.
Many of these changes originated from these forums more so than any other source.

David Analog
03-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Quote, "It's convenient to attach/remove the speaker, but I've had issues with the connection that the guitar style makes. I occasionally have to rattle the speaker around a little."

I've seen this a lot with both Sampson and Exile tower speakers. In fact, the Cobalt dealer used to call frequently with this issue on OEM Sampsons.

There can be several issues going on here. A phone jack consists of a 'round' post making contact with a spring loaded (actually sprung steel) 'flat' blade. 'Flat' against 'round' makes very little surface area contact. So there is little room for error. This is compounded by the fact that the last/outer contact point is a full inch away from the base of the 1/4" post. Any ultra small fractional error that causes the collar to be under stress or uneven stress will multiply in distance down the 1-inch post. This is further compounded by shock and vibration. You may notice that it isn't long before the male post chrome is worn away exposing the copper layer underneath.
Here are a few issues that can help you with the Exile collars and connections.
*If you are mounting to a tower where the tube is beginning to go into a bend or radius. This makes the round tube a bit out-of-round. A small positional shift could make a difference.
*If the installer didn't apply equal torgue to both bolts that close the collar. So check and see if the overlapping collars inner and outer pieces have the identical front and rear gap.
*Take your speakers off the tower when trailing a long distance at higher speeds.
*Remove the collar and reverse it. This can temporarily mitigate the problem and maybe buy you another season without the intermittent chatter.

David Analog
03-30-2015, 12:36 PM
A feeling of indebtedness is my guess.

Price being the same, I don't see any arguments for Exile > Wetsounds. Most of the forum members can, but won't, tell you they didn't pay MSRP for Exile.

Well, that's unfortunate. Because members don't have to pay MSRP for Wetsounds or JL Audio products either.
Wetsounds has a different business model. They have a much large dealer network and they depend on those dealers.
So Wetsounds does not openly and aggressively discount on a direct-to-consumer basis.
Also, most Wetsounds and JL Audio dealers adhere to their franchise agreements and do not advertise the products below MSRP or MAP (minimum advertised price). That doesn't mean you can't get the same forum, zone, and system discounts. You can get the same discounts.
You can also get the best installation and fabrication assistance, enclosure design assistance, trouble shooting assistance, and system tuning assistance from people who are infinitely better versed in these practices.

bergermaister
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Matt -

Our apologies for the lengthy shootout / debate. Hopefully through all the shots fired you've gained a little insight into what direction you may want to go.

FWIW last summer I linked my Exile system to my buddy's WetSounds system for about 10 songs of bumping beach party and amazingly neither system blew up or melted and we were not struck by lighting from the audio gods.

I'd suggest you talk directly to some owners of each brand individually and see what they like/dislike (if anything) about their setups and service.

mattl
03-30-2015, 02:21 PM
I am learning. I know very little about audio gear and want to learn about the products before I buy. Also, I enjoy the buying process and want to learn as much as I can prior to purchase.

BamaMojo
03-30-2015, 02:39 PM
I am learning. I know very little about audio gear and want to learn about the products before I buy. Also, I enjoy the buying process and want to learn as much as I can prior to purchase.

I studied both for nearly a year and just had Exile everything installed last week. I went Exile and glad I did.
You will be very happy with either, once you research and buy post all your upgrades for us to see!
Have Fun!
Jerald

2012 Mojo

mattl
03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
I studied both for nearly a year and just had Exile everything installed last week. I went Exile and glad I did.
You will be very happy with either, once you research and buy post all your upgrades for us to see!
Have Fun!
Jerald

2012 Mojo

I would like to listen your system when I am on Martin and you have a few minutes.

BamaMojo
03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I would like to listen your system when I am on Martin and you have a few minutes.

Sounds great. I was there yesterday, almost dumb enough to get on the surfboard yesterday. The cloud cover changed my mind.
I will plan another day down there soon and let you know when I'm headed that way.

2012 Mojo

viking
03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Everybody is going to have their own opinion on the best. I did all my research for what I felt was important to ME and went WS on the entire system on my most recent build.
In the end buy what is BEST for you and be happy with it.

newty
03-30-2015, 09:53 PM
To be honest I'm not in any camp... yet. I know Brian and he's a good dude. He's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS about the happy customer. He will find way to make sure things happen for folks that have issues or have questions like the OP asked.
I had Exile XM9's on my old boat and loved them. However that's the only exile components I've had. I've heard WS systems and Exile systems that will blow your mind. The opposite can also be said regarding both. Does it make one better than the other? No...
However knowing first hand how Exile handles business makes it a no brainer for me.
So if that makes me part of the "other camp" so be it.
I would encourage the OP to go look and listen to them both and draw you own conclusions. Call and talk to Tim (Wetsounds) and Brian (Exile). See what they have to say.
David you can be a super helpful guy but whenever there is a Exile thread you and MLA (doesn't matter what forum) are always one of the first guys to post. To be honest, it tends to take a bit of credibility from you both. I understand you guys have some experience with exile and maybe there is bad blood but come on... these exhaustive anti-exile posts get old.
It's like me asking for peoples thought on a moomba in a public forum and the Axis dealer goes on a rant about how the moomba is inferior. It doesn't lend well to you at all. If you don't own a boat with exile and your not an Exile dealer then tell me about WS.

MLA
03-30-2015, 10:21 PM
To be honest I'm not in any camp... yet. I know Brian and he's a good dude. He's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS about the happy customer. He will find way to make sure things happen for folks that have issues or have questions like the OP asked.
I had Exile XM9's on my old boat and loved them. However that's the only exile components I've had. I've heard WS systems and Exile systems that will blow your mind. The opposite can also be said regarding both. Does it make one better than the other? No...
However knowing first hand how Exile handles business makes it a no brainer for me.
So if that makes me part of the "other camp" so be it.
I would encourage the OP to go look and listen to them both and draw you own conclusions. Call and talk to Tim (Wetsounds) and Brian (Exile). See what they have to say.
David you can be a super helpful guy but whenever there is a Exile thread you and MLA (doesn't matter what forum) are always one of the first guys to post. To be honest, it tends to take a bit of credibility from you both. I understand you guys have some experience with exile and maybe there is bad blood but come on... these anti-exile rants get old.
It's like me asking for peoples thought moomba in a public forum and the Axis dealer goes on a rant about how the moomba is inferior. It doesn't lend well to you at all.

Honest question. The OP asked for a comparison between 2 tower speakers and 2 EQ's. Did he not get those fair, factual and on point comparisons on page 1? i'll offer the invitation to you, once again. If there is any info regarding the Exile or Wet Sounds product that you or anyone else cares to take issue with, then please do so right here in this thread. If you want to carry one a personal conversation about credibility, please contact me outside of this thread.

David Analog
03-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Newty,
You're are the one that is keeping this off-topic stuff going at this time.
It's the same old accusations. You are finding reasons to dismiss factual information because you personally do not like the content. It's not about bad blood. It's not an assault on those who own Exile products. It's not a vendetta against Brian or Exile. I have stated nothing but facts. Facts that I can fully substantiate. The OP wants a comparison. He wants facts. Your insistence that this is something beyond factual is an attempt to squelch and sensor useful information.
Now, if I state an advantage that Wetsounds holds, it's not an indictment of Exile. It's just fact.
Look, people like Brian. Brian takes good care of his on-line customers. Brian is one heck of a salesman. No one is disputing those things.
If you try and control the open forum input and send everyone to PM, are you telling me that is objective? That's when the real marketing machine gets rolling.
I'm simply up front and in your face on the public side with what I know to be true. I never did solicit privately and I do not try and steer opinions privately today.
This is not the Exile marketing site. It's the Moomba site.

newty
03-30-2015, 11:00 PM
You both go into great detail regarding the differences of the two products and typically take those differences and skew the op into believing that exile is truly inferior in the eye of experts like yourself. When in reality the differences are minimal at best and 99% of users will never even notice these differences.
Like I said, it's just noise.
I'm not attacking your credibility, I'm simply stating that from an outside perspective the passion you put into making exile look inferior lends leads one to believe that these post are far far from objective.

wolfeman131
03-30-2015, 11:06 PM
When in reality the differences are minimal at best.

I run the factory stereo. It's turned off most of the time because we're coaching the girls, so I have no dog in this race.

I have seen the "guts" of the speakers and other components and spoken with a highly regarded retailer/installer (not David or MLA) and I would have to disagree with your comment above, but agree that 99% won't know the difference.

Also, my pee still smelled like asparagus today.

David Analog
03-30-2015, 11:07 PM
Newty,
Btw, at this moment there is a thread right along side this thread titled 'Exiled'. Everyone who is an Exile advocate is sharing. I haven't made a single comment on that thread. You are the one who isn't representing the facts. Even if I read a little embellishment I would ignore it. A little hype doesn't bother me. People expressing their satisfaction with Exile doesn't bother me. If it were at the expense of another product, or something was blatantly false, or I read something intentionally deceptive, then I would jump right in there.
Until that time, comparisons weren't invited in that thread. Big difference. I'm staying the course.

newty
03-30-2015, 11:35 PM
I run the factory stereo. It's turned off most of the time because we're coaching the girls, so I have no dog in this race.

I have seen the "guts" of the speakers and other components and spoken with a highly regarded retailer/installer (not David or MLA) and I would have to disagree with your comment above, but agree that 99% won't know the difference.

Also, my pee still smelled like asparagus today.
Hold your breath when you pee.

Newty,
Btw, at this moment there is a thread right along side this thread titled 'Exiled'. Everyone who is an Exile advocate is sharing. I haven't made a single comment on that thread. You are the one who isn't representing the facts. Even if I read a little embellishment I would ignore it. A little hype doesn't bother me. People expressing their satisfaction with Exile doesn't bother me. If it were at the expense of another product, or something was blatantly false, or I read something intentionally deceptive, then I would jump right in there.
Until that time, comparisons weren't invited in that thread. Big difference. I'm staying the course.

Sorry David, I meant exile vs. threads.

BamaMojo
03-30-2015, 11:42 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/30/34f4f3d18d9a66a15117fa770c5900bb.jpg

2012 Mojo

newty
03-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Nice shaft!

BamaMojo
03-31-2015, 12:03 AM
Nice shaft!

Hahahahahaha

2012 Mojo

BamaMojo
03-31-2015, 12:04 AM
Nice shaft!

You should see the red lube it drips!!!

2012 Mojo

newty
03-31-2015, 12:18 AM
You should see the red lube it drips!!!

2012 Mojo
They make a topical ointment for that.

BamaMojo
03-31-2015, 12:23 AM
They make a topical ointment for that.

Think I tightened the nuts so the drip should be no more!

2012 Mojo

newty
03-31-2015, 12:24 AM
Lol good to hear.

moombadaze
03-31-2015, 06:53 AM
Hd a bunch of jalapeño's at lunch yesterday and now #2 burns

BamaMojo
03-31-2015, 08:07 AM
Hd a bunch of jalapeño's at lunch yesterday and now #2 burns

Thanks for sharing!

2012 Mojo

slipperyrockTKE300
03-31-2015, 12:02 PM
"Hd a bunch of jalapeño's at lunch yesterday and now #2 burns"

You should always follow jalapeno's with ice cream

Andy Digital
03-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Ever notice how the round ice cream containers look a lot like 6.5" tower speaker cans

mattl
03-31-2015, 07:08 PM
I now realize the question should of been: what do I need to look for in a pair of hlcd tower speakers
?

That way people's would not post about their number 2 ' s.

Thanks guys

slipperyrockTKE300
03-31-2015, 07:15 PM
ever stand next to a guy at a urinal who has recently eaten asparagus?

Much worse than a guy who just trashed the stall!

Believe it or not, those guys were just trying to calm things down.

We do have a strange sense of humor on here - you'll get used to it :)

KG's Supra24
03-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Hey exile camp :p ... let's get Matt's thread back on track.

Is there a reason you don't consider the Rev10? If you are going with a single pair, it makes a lot of sense for the application.

newty
03-31-2015, 10:36 PM
I now realize the question should of been: what do I need to look for in a pair of hlcd tower speakers
?

That way people's would not post about their number 2 ' s.

Thanks guys
Lol, lesson learned!:D

newty
03-31-2015, 10:52 PM
Hey exile camp :p ... let's get Matt's thread back on track
So solly. Please carry on...

mattl
04-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Hey exile camp :p ... let's get Matt's thread back on track.

Is there a reason you don't consider the Rev10? If you are going with a single pair, it makes a lot of sense for the application.

I was told by a friend with them that he felt the rev 10 was over the top and he should of gone w the 8 s

MLA
04-01-2015, 08:07 AM
I was told by a friend with them that he felt the rev 10 was over the top and he should of gone w the 8 s

Ive never heard anyone with a 3/4 ton say it tows too good, I should have gone with the 1/2 ton.

Honey, they're too big, you should have gone with a C cup.

The deeper mid-bass and output is clearly noticeable between an 8" and 10 speaker and that translates to better sound quality.

mattl
04-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Ive never heard anyone with a 3/4 ton say it tows too good, I should have gone with the 1/2 ton.

The deeper mid-bass and output is clearly noticeable between an 8" and 10 speaker and that translates to better sound quality.

Also the location of the speakers limit the storage ability of the z5. With 9 in the boat storage of wake and surf boards outweighs sound quality when it takes about 15 minutes to find good water

David Analog
04-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Unless you have a conflict with size on the tower, then the relatively small added cost of a 10-inch upgrade is well worth it, as KG and MLA have suggested.
Wetsounds uses a narrower but deeper pod geometry to obtain the larger displacement. So with that shape in mind, it helps mitigate some of the bulk.
Purely from a sound quality and performance standpoint, a 10-inch upgrade is major.
A 10" is more efficient, so both the speaker and amplifier don't have to work as hard to produce the same output, and that means cleaner.
A 10", based on a combination of more surface area and greater pod displacement (the biggest factor), has deeper midbass extension. And, a 10" has a warmer, more musical balance.
So I'm looking at other benefits other than just the ability to play louder.
For many people, a 10" HLCD tower speaker means they will be permanently satisfied with one pair and a second pair will not be needed.

jmvotto
04-01-2015, 11:11 AM
not sure if this is a screw up but Rev 8 and rev 10s same price at crutchfield and 100 bucks less than most other retailers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_867RV8BFC/Wet-Sounds-Rev-8-Black.html?tp=67880&awkw=123748733065&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64991432065&awdv=

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_867RV10BFC/Wet-Sounds-Rev-10-Black.html?tp=67880&awkw=123412585465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64647525505&awdv=c

weird from an exile right?

trayson
04-01-2015, 11:11 AM

LMAO!!!!!

Now that is quote-worthy!!!

jmvotto
04-01-2015, 11:12 AM

LMAOF right there!!!!

David Analog
04-01-2015, 11:37 AM
not sure if this is a screw up but Rev 8 and rev 10s same price at crutchfield and 100 bucks less than most other retailers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_867RV8BFC/Wet-Sounds-Rev-8-Black.html?tp=67880&awkw=123748733065&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64991432065&awdv=

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_867RV10BFC/Wet-Sounds-Rev-10-Black.html?tp=67880&awkw=123412585465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64647525505&awdv=c

weird from an exile right?

Crutchfield has the correct price on the Rev8, same as the Wetsounds site.
But they likely screwed up because they have the Rev8 and Rev10 priced the same.

viking
04-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Another thumbs up for Odin at Earmark.
He's been very accommodating in answering all my newb questions and sent me great reference material and diagrams to assist in install. I plan on hitting him up here real soon for help in tuning to ensure i get it done right. It's great to have somebody to help given the fact that I'm in the boonies and have no dealer in my backyard to assist. I'm left to online retailers and resources so anytime somebody like Odin is there to help long distance it's invaluable.
And he and his shop will do that for any brand that they sell...........NOT just Wetsounds.

Also David ran the shop the same way when he was at the helm and I appreciated his open door policy with assistance hence why I returned as a customer yet again.

jmvotto
04-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Crutchfield has the correct price on the Rev8, same as the Wetsounds site.
But they likely screwed up because they have the Rev8 and Rev10 priced the same.

Weird I checked earmark, crutchfield and wetsounds sites and with the exception of the the rev 8 crutchfield was much cheaper even on the the swivel clamps 150 at CF. 200 at WS. Prices are all over the map , so I guess they really don't set pricing for dealers.

MLA
04-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Not sure I fallow J,? Wet Sounds and Earmarks pages show the same rev-8 and rev-10 swivel prices, which agree with the latest prices I have. Seems CR is incorrect, as stated earlier.

jmvotto
04-01-2015, 11:42 PM
MLA , not sure where you getting you info but from the websites

jmvotto
04-01-2015, 11:43 PM
More......

MLA
04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Out of 4 sources, crutchfield is the odd man out. As noted, CR looks to have an incorrect price listed. The other 2 sources are the same as the manufacturers page.

jmvotto
04-02-2015, 07:15 AM
One is the manufactures page and for some reason earmark and crutchfield differ from each other as well as the ws page. Look at the pricing closer. I just always thought the prices we set by Tim and dealers abided by it. When I bought my ws eq that is what I was told .

MLA
04-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Again, out of all the examples I have sampled since this came up yesterday, crutchfield seems to have an incorrect price listed on a couple models. Not sure how else to word it..................

in RE to pricing. All manufactures set an MSRP. Go to exile, JL, Kicker, what ever. Dealers are not forced to sell at that price, but simply agree to list all advertised prices at MSRP. This only really applies online retailers. I dont think you will find too many local retail outlets listing price on the internet. Dealers are free to discount as deep as their own pockets can stand.

David Analog
04-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Whether JL Audio or Wetsounds or from many others, there are advertising guidelines such as MAP, Minimum Advertised Price. Beyond that, setting the 'sell' price is restriction of trade.
Most dealers respect the manufacturer guidelines as well as the rest of the dealer community and do not discount within the context of advertising. Many of the heavy on-line discounters are not actually authorized dealers.
Wetsounds has a business model where they support their dealers so that their dealers take care of their customers. And the Wetsounds support to dealers is stellar, which is why there are so many more domestic Wetsounds dealers.
Wetsounds leaves the discounting to the dealers.
There is a major misconception that Wetsounds pricing is not competitive in the sense of discounts. Not true. You will find the exact same bundling packages, forum discounts, zone discounts, and system discounts.

jmvotto
04-02-2015, 12:29 PM
MlA I guess I have to simplify it even more for you since website snap shots are not good enough to compare against

The reason I added my .02 was that the Rev 10 is on a great deal at crutchfield and the price is Correct I verified it with them and found a lot of inconsistent pricing other places , you guys like facts not sure what else I can do for you the facts speak for themselves.

fixed clamp . Wetsounds price Crutchfield price earmark

icon 8 749 749 699

rev 8 1049 1049 999

rev 10 1199 1049 1149

proof from crutchfield

joe
11:57:53 a.m.
Are the wetsounds Rev 10 na d Rev 8 fixed clamp speakers really priced the same at 1049?

Zoe
11:58:35 a.m.
I’ll be happy to help you with that. Let me check.

12:00:05 p.m.
Yes sir, same price. The Rev 8 and Rev 10 are both $1,049.99.

joe
12:00:33 p.m.
to upgrade to the spin clamps is 150 ?

Zoe
12:01:11 p.m.
Yes sir correc

Just saying

viking
04-02-2015, 12:43 PM
That's a decent price for the REV 10's at Crutchfield.
I'd pick up a pair if I were you!!

jmvotto
04-02-2015, 12:56 PM
That's a decent price for the REV 10's at Crutchfield.
I'd pick up a pair if I were you!!

That was the whole point

brain_rinse
04-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I have 4 JL tower speakers with docking lights on the front of 2 of them.

wolfeman131
04-02-2015, 01:15 PM
I think Joe works for Crutchfield!

David Analog
04-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Here's the point...if you want facts.
The Crutchfield price is wrong because they sell at MAP unless there is a manufacturer sponsored sale. That is a data entry mistake. Those models were just added to their site recently. It will be fixed and you will see the price change sometime in the near future. Until then I would assume they must honor the price.
You compared the price to Earmark which also lists pricing at MAP in accordance with their manufacturers. However, with the Earmark forum discount I would guess you can get the Crutchfield price (presently in error and soon to be changed) at any time.
And I am positive that until the Crutchfield price is fixed that every Wetsounds dealer will match any Crutchfield price. Now and always.
So I wouldn't make a big production over one data entry mistake that is temporary.

brain_rinse
04-02-2015, 01:18 PM
I think Joe works for Crutchfield!
Doesn't he know the forum rules, Drew? "6) Not a venue for agents or representatives of any company or business entity to advertise or promote any website, cause, movement, group, product, or service."
C'mon, Joe. You are better than this.

trayson
04-02-2015, 01:40 PM
So one of the "exiled" guys promoting Wetsounds pricing on Crutchfield!?!?!

I think my head's going to explode!

http://img.pandawhale.com/116597-bill-murray-ghostbusters-meme-LWwb.gif

jmvotto
04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Here's the point...if you want facts.
The Crutchfield price is wrong because they sell at MAP unless there is a manufacturer sponsored sale. That is a data entry mistake. Those models were just added to their site recently. It will be fixed and you will see the price change sometime in the near future. Until then I would assume they must honor the price.
You compared the price to Earmark which also lists pricing at MAP in accordance with their manufacturers. However, with the Earmark forum discount I would guess you can get the Crutchfield price (presently in error and soon to be changed) at any time.
And I am positive that until the Crutchfield price is fixed that every Wetsounds dealer will match any Crutchfield price. Now and always.
So I wouldn't make a big production over one data entry mistake that is temporary.

David, Did you not read the other post , Read the chat verbiage, that is what they are selling for 1049 deal with IT its a good price for our forum members who are looking at the product , Period ! you called me out I challenge you and you sir are the one who is WRONG! But as you can see earmark and WS don't match either HMM why are the Icon * cheaper at earmark is there a "special " sale going on. I really hate when provided with facts you both still try and spin it.

actually all three prices of earmarks differ from the wetsounds site ....

FYI the spin clamps are 25% cheaper at crutchfield a s well, maybe Bill have special relationship the independent dealers are aware of :rolleyes:

disclosure: I am not an employee nor an equity stake owner in the above corporate accusation :cool:

MLA
04-02-2015, 02:11 PM
MlA I guess I have to simplify it even more for you since website snap shots are not good enough to compare against

The reason I added my .02 was that the Rev 10 is on a great deal at crutchfield and the price is Correct I verified it with them and found a lot of inconsistent pricing other places , you guys like facts not sure what else I can do for you the facts speak for themselves.

fixed clamp . Wetsounds price Crutchfield price earmark

icon 8 749 749 699

rev 8 1049 1049 999

rev 10 1199 1049 1149

proof from crutchfield

joe
11:57:53 a.m.
Are the wetsounds Rev 10 na d Rev 8 fixed clamp speakers really priced the same at 1049?

Zoe
11:58:35 a.m.
I’ll be happy to help you with that. Let me check.

12:00:05 p.m.
Yes sir, same price. The Rev 8 and Rev 10 are both $1,049.99.

joe
12:00:33 p.m.
to upgrade to the spin clamps is 150 ?

Zoe
12:01:11 p.m.
Yes sir correc

Just saying

So you are saying that the manufacturer in incorrect and their new inline retailer is correct?

I do not have time to check each and every wet sounds model on all their outlets, but glade you do. I only looked at the model that was part of this discussion, and quickly way that CR has the in-correct price.

David Analog
04-02-2015, 02:15 PM
David, Did you not read the other post , Read the chat verbiage, that is what they are selling for 1049 deal with IT its a good price for our forum members who are looking at the product , Period ! you called me out I challenge you and you sir are the one who is WRONG! But as you can see earmark and WS don't match either HMM why are the Icon * cheaper at earmark is there a "special " sale going on. I really hate when provided with facts you both still try and spin it.

actually all three prices of earmarks differ from the wetsounds site ....

FYI the spin clamps are 25% cheaper at crutchfield a s well, maybe Bill have special relationship the independent dealers are aware of :rolleyes:

disclosure: I am not an employee nor an equity stake owner in the above corporate accusation :cool:

OMG. Get a grip. Look a little deeper. You're providing bad info.
The Earmark site uses drops just like the Wetsounds site to determine the final price depending on how the speaker is equipped.
And the Earmark price is presently the same as the Crutchfield price on the Rev10, in at least one of its manifestations.
Not to mention the additional forum discounts, zone discounts and system discounts that Crutchfield does not offer.
So let's put it into context, and not just take a fraction of how final pricing is arrived at.

jmvotto
04-02-2015, 02:35 PM
your off your rocker they are priced the same way. go do it yourself and screen shot them.. apples to apple no discounts straight up web pricing.

I found the forum a deal and you cant handle it WTF is wrong with you guys.

viking
04-02-2015, 02:42 PM
DONE. End of Story. THREAD OVER................NOT!!
I agree with KG but this is just getting started. Soon to be blown up.

LOL - what did I say about 90 posts ago??
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/popcorn-gifs/ff3lu.gif

David Analog
04-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Here is what I suggest.
This is simply in response to Joe's assertions.
As members, check ALL information and links for yourself. Please don't take my word for it, or Joe's word for that matter. Check for yourself!
Then, based on everything that has been shared in this thread, contact all parties involved and find out what additional discounts are available to forum members.
That is the only way you will get the final and real bottom line price.
If Joe is really wanting to help members then I'm sure he will agree with your findings.

trayson
04-02-2015, 02:46 PM
contact all parties involved and find out what additional discounts are available to forum members. .

I think what they're holding onto is the idea that it really doesn't matter in the end what the published prices are online for WS, that you can go into a dealer and wheel and deal to get a better price.

I know that this is true since I've gotten two different WS420SQ's for 12.5% off before despite their published prices. I have a friend that buys locally in Portland that has gotten bigger dealer discounts on his WS purchases.

I think that you found a decent deal for people that can't go to a dealer and negotiate themselves a better (unpublished) price.

David Analog
04-02-2015, 03:15 PM
I think what they're holding onto is the idea that it really doesn't matter in the end what the published prices are online for WS, that you can go into a dealer and wheel and deal to get a better price.

I know that this is true since I've gotten two different WS420SQ's for 12.5% off before despite their published prices. I have a friend that buys locally in Portland that has gotten bigger dealer discounts on his WS purchases.

I think that you found a decent deal for people that can't go to a dealer and negotiate themselves a better (unpublished) price.

No, I'm really not speaking about wheeling and dealing...at all. In this case I'm limiting the conversation to the parties raised by Joe. I'm talking about a set non-negotiable price structure in place for all members.
But put that aside. Check the on-line information for yourself before you arrive at an opinion. Look past the first price you see. Look at the drops which reflect the final price as equipped. Not every site does pricing the same. Each have their own methods and software. Then form an opinion.

MLA
04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
I found the forum a deal and you cant handle it WTF is wrong with you guys.

Do what? not sure its me thats not handling it. Its an incorrect price, so what. No one stated its not there, just that its not a correct MSRP, a typo, so what.....

brain_rinse
04-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I can confidently say we are now running contrary to "the positive exchange of ideas, experiences, and opinions, as well as general discussion that contributes to the boating community."

Thread closed.