PDA

View Full Version : Anchors

BamaMojo
03-27-2015, 01:45 PM
I am looking to buy an anchor that actually works. I currently have a Navy style anchor that does not do well with my Mojo, any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2012 Mojo

millerda68
03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
I have been using a small sized box anchor on our LSV for the past couple of summers. I have been very pleased with it and it seems to hold well on the windy days.

I did not purchase through here, but here is a link with some information on them:
https://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

mikenehrkorn
03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
The only one I've ever heard of that worked very well is the box anchor. I finally picked one up this off season but no experience with it yet. I'm sure some others will chime in with details.

smorris7
03-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Box Anchor is the ONLY way to go. Folds up easily for storage. Once deployed the boat will not move. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Extra-Small-Box-Anchor&i=38806

jester
03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
With an anchor it comes into where you use it at. Are you using it in a river or lake? is the bottom made up of a hard surface or lots of sticks and stumps or sand or something soft? Also you might have the correct anchor but need to let out more line. The rule is 7 to 1. For every foot deep you let out 7 feet of line. Granted most people do not follow this and get a bigger anchor with more weight.

parrothd
03-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Don't forget the chain, this helps the anchor set..

Rakkasan
03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
I use just a 18lb river anchor. Has worked well for my LSV in several GA lakes as well at Lake Martin AL. As said before if you let enough line out don't think there's a problem. Has held overnight for me many times but also have a screw anchor for the overnights.

BamaMojo
03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
With an anchor it comes into where you use it at. Are you using it in a river or lake? is the bottom made up of a hard surface or lots of sticks and stumps or sand or something soft? Also you might have the correct anchor but need to let out more line. The rule is 7 to 1. For every foot deep you let out 7 feet of line. Granted most people do not follow this and get a bigger anchor with more weight.

The anchor I have drags unless it catches a root or something. I am not sure that it is large enough for the weight of my boat.

2012 Mojo

gregski
03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
When you say a navy anchor, do you mean the classic navy tattoo kind with two big hooks? I've never seen anyone actually use one of those on a lake. I use a Danforth/fluke anchor in muddy conditions. I used to struggle getting it to set until I added the chain and started letting out more line. Both are important to get any anchor to "bite". Now I can easily set it and it holds great. I might consider the box anchor if I had to buy new, but I have no desire to replace what I have.

trayson
03-27-2015, 04:32 PM
I have been using a small sized box anchor

The only one I've ever heard of that worked very well is the box anchor.

Box Anchor is the ONLY way to go. Folds up easily for storage. Once deployed the boat will not move.

^^^^^^^THIS.

Box Anchor.

Toss it over the side, crack open a cold beverage and be happy you're staying put.

End thread.

Boonejeepin
03-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Love my box anchor.

newty
03-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Another vote for the box anchor. Really a user friendly anchor, and great for storing.

BamaMojo
03-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Fluke.

2012 Mojo

z28ke
03-27-2015, 06:42 PM
A couple years ago I bought a box anchor from the advise on this board and love it. I was taking the boat on a camping trip and wanted to leave it in the water all weekend. I tied a boat bumper to it and never had to reset it the entire weekend. Well worth the cost for the "no hassle". Another plus is if we tie up with other boats I know we won't have to do the jockeying with all the boats tied up to pull up and re set.

BrettLee3232
03-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Box anchor is the only way to go. I have that and the shore spike!

BamaMojo
03-27-2015, 06:52 PM
^^^^^^^THIS.

Box Anchor.

Toss it over the side, crack open a cold beverage and be happy you're staying put.

End thread.

Trayson, what size box anchor do you have on the XLV?

2012 Mojo

trayson
03-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Trayson, what size box anchor do you have on the XLV?

2012 Mojo

I got the box anchor when I had my sunsport 21'. and I have the small box anchor. I haven't used it yet with the XLV as we rarely anchor. but I can't imagine that the xlv would need any more than the sunsport.

I think most everyone uses the small. Per the manufacturer:

Box Anchor Sizes
The Box Anchor is designed to work with almost any boat size, from personal watercrafts to houseboats and most everything in between.

Baby Box Anchor: Personal watercraft
Small Box Anchor: Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'
Large Box Anchor: Offshore / Sport to 40', cabin cruiser to 32'
X-Large Box Anchor: House boats, cruisers longer than 32'

trayson
03-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Box anchor is the only way to go. I have that and the shore spike!

I have the shore spike too. I really like it. typically if you're setting a shore line you're holding the line in one hand to keep the boat from floating away and being able to pound in the shore spike one handed is great. Although I can't help but feel a little bit dirty when I'm doing it...

BamaMojo
03-27-2015, 07:08 PM
I have the shore spike too. I really like it. typically if you're setting a shore line you're holding the line in one hand to keep the boat from floating away and being able to pound in the shore spike one handed is great. Although I can't help but feel a little bit dirty when I'm doing it...

"Pounding it with one hand "eh????
Hahahahah
Just messing with ha!

2012 Mojo

trayson
03-27-2015, 07:16 PM
"Pounding it with one hand "eh????
Hahahahah
Just messing with ha!

2012 Mojo

I know!!! and my wife just sits in the boat and watches! That's messed up.

Boonejeepin
03-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Small box anchor works well for my XLV.

mmandley
03-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Went to Powel 2 summers ago. This is what happened to my front anchor, this was after it pulled the same style on the rear out. I was lucky I saw the boat floating past the back of the house boat. I literally had to swim to save my boat as it was being blown towards the shore.

Now I only use a Box anchor. Works awesome.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20131013_115429_zpsgz1qiwtc.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20131013_115429_zpsgz1qiwtc.jpg.html)

parrothd
03-28-2015, 11:50 AM
You didn't have the chain on it, that style needs a length of chain on it..

mmandley
03-28-2015, 12:13 PM
You didn't have the chain on it, that style needs a length of chain on it..

How would chain a on it stopped it from bending?

I've never seen chain on these, not to say you can't but I just wouldn't expect chain on something in a fiberglass boat like these.

zabooda
03-28-2015, 02:13 PM
How would chain a on it stopped it from bending?

I've never seen chain on these, not to say you can't but I just wouldn't expect chain on something in a fiberglass boat like these.

Mike,
I have never seen a Danforth without a chain ( about 5' on mine). Chain does a lot of things but, most importantly, it keeps your anchor from getting disturbed by every wave. The anchor lays on the bottom and secures the rode horizontally. It's not simply a weight that keeps the boat from moving. As the boat rides up and down over the waves while anchored, the chain moves up and down to compensate for the boat's movement. In a perfect anchoring situation, the anchor never moves.

Plus it reduces abrasion on the rope. At dive rescue, we will add lead weight (5 lb) to the leading edge of the chain if we are in high winds or strong currents.

parrothd
03-28-2015, 03:17 PM
The chain is used to protect the anchor line and the weight of the chain drags on the bottom slinging it. The chain pushes the anchor handle down causing the flukes(side wings) to angle downward. When you pull back on the anchor line this makes the flukes dig in. To set this type you slowly drop it over the side then let out lots of line then reverse and drag it to get it to dig in..

My guess is when you set the anchor without the chain it really didn't dig it in, when the wind picked up it started dragging the anchor. Without the chain it couldn't relockin, just dangling on the rope and was pulling the handle upwards and flutes can't lock in. It was probably dragged by the handle till to caught on something sideways and bent the shaft..

That Guy
03-28-2015, 03:50 PM
I've seen all the people that love the box anchor but couldn't justify the price for the type of anchoring we do. My dad has had a medium weight mushroom anchor for the past 20 years without issue so I just picked up an 18lb river anchor for $25. I figure if it doesn't work I'll add the box anchor in the future and will have the ability to anchor off front and back if it's windy. But I don't expect any issues given our lakes.

parrothd
03-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Just depends on where you using it and the bottom type, my river can be really swift so the box and mushroom won't hold...

mmandley
03-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the learning lesson on Flukes. The anchor held for 3 days it got pretty windy the last night and with all the big tour boats tossing rollers into our cove it held pretty good. I think it bent and that's what finally released it. Idk I'm no expert lol.

I use the box now and it's much better for my needs. Toss it and forget it while we float and party waiting for the tubes and wind to leave.

ian ashton
03-28-2015, 09:22 PM
I just ordered a box anchor, can't wait. Getting a fluke to set (I have the same coated black one Mike had, with 5' of chain) in soft sand and mild chop is a pain - maybe it's the coating, but I found Id have to get in and plow it down, otherwise it wouldn't dig itself deep enough.

Can't wait to use the box this season.

That's what she said.

jmvotto
03-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Does the box work really well for deeper natural made lake 75 to 100 ft

muehlcj
03-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Does the box work really well for deeper natural made lake 75 to 100 ft

Wondering the same. Lakes here are deep. 75-100 feet is the shallow areas. Very difficult to anchor here.

viking
03-29-2015, 12:43 AM
I used to have the box anchor until some a-hole stole it or cut it loose and left it at the bottom of the lake. So when came time to replace it I bought the Digger Anchor:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Digger-15-Freshwater-Boat-Anchors&i=79634&r=view&from=grid
Actually been quite happy with this anchor for the last couple years. Works as well as my box anchor did!

freshturk
03-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Box anchor should work fine no matter the depth as long as you have plenty of rope and chain. With those sort of depths votto, you would need probably 30ft of chain.

Chain is still super important with a box/slide anchor. Chain keeps the rope flat on the bottom of the lake to prevent the anchor from being pulled upward and loose even tho the anchor should continue to reset. The chain allows you to use a significantly shorter rope as we cant always use 5-7 to 1 rope to depth especially in party coves where all the boats are fairly close to one another and we cant afford to drift much at all.

Woody929
03-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Interesting: "Making the Box Anchor easier to handle, it requires no chain and only a 2 to 1 scope; that’s twice the depth of the water and half the amount of line required for a traditional anchor. "

patrick232
03-29-2015, 11:01 AM
I have used a digger since 2006, will never own another type. Also won't lose one on the bottom of the lake again.

jester
03-29-2015, 11:25 AM
I have to say the Box Anchor works great for all but one of the lakes and rivers I go too. There is one lake that no matter what I do it will not dig in and the weight will not hold the boat. So for this lake I use my normal pyramid anchor. Nothing like pure weight to keep from floating away.

If you are anchoring in 75ft water I hope you have strong kids to pull up that line. Shoot if you go to the same spot every time sink a tire with rebar and cement and leave it for the summer.

Myth
06-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Anyone used the box in very sandy lake beds? One of my favorite lakes (Bear Lake in Utah/Idaho) has a sandy bottom. I'm afraid the box would just drag in the very regular afternoon winds.

Mrd8ker
06-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Nope. Just mud and rocks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

trayson
06-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Anyone used the box in very sandy lake beds? One of my favorite lakes (Bear Lake in Utah/Idaho) has a sandy bottom. I'm afraid the box would just drag in the very regular afternoon winds.

I still think it's going to be the best anchor out there.

Out areas tend to be a mix of sand or mud or clay. I can't tell you exactly which one of the three it was but I was anchored a couple weeks ago and the wind was blowing (around 10mph). When it was just me, I didn't budge. Then a 2nd boat tied up to me. No problem. After a bit, a 3rd and 4th boat tied up to me. Then I ended up getting drug about 40 feet over probably 60 to 90 minutes... So I still think it's the best option. Because I don't know too many anchors that would have done much better...

My boat is the one with the blue swim platform:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SFozBkhV7Xo/VXXUyPeOTuI/AAAAAAAAZUE/wKymUBKvx_0/s800/11357136_10205461953841475_279151328547613893_o.jp g

Whitey
06-17-2015, 08:11 PM
I've never used the digger. I wouldn't ever use a fluke anchor again after the ease of using the box anchor I bought for this summer. Holds great and you don't have to hope it sets. It sets every time.

ian ashton
06-17-2015, 09:21 PM
I use a Box Anchor in sand, best anchor I've found.

trmaggie98
06-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Tried them all, stopped looking once I got the box anchor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
06-17-2015, 10:35 PM
I had the box anchor and due to some A'holes one season it went missing. Long separate story.........
I had mixed results with it and wouldn't say i was overly impressed. It seemed to move just as much as others.
So I Replaced it with the digger and haven't used it enough to give any comparisons as of yet.