PDA

View Full Version : Boat won't start! Won't even try to turn over!

sicktc06
03-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, so I have a potential buyer for my boat and I'm in a panic. My boat won't start! It's winterized, ran fine before it got winterized in the fall. Now, the boat broker called me and said it won't start! Not even engage the starter (or click)! The stereo will come on fine and they said it's in neutral, the lanyard is connected, and the battery is charged.

Last summer, I did notice on two occasions something that happened kind of funky... But it only happened two totally random times so I thought nothing of it, thinking maybe I tried starting it to fast. I turned the key and I got nothing. Turned it off, turned it back on and it fired. That only happened twice though. THAT is the only thing sticking out in my brain as I go over everything it did last year.

So things I am wondering could be the culprit:

1. Ignition - If it happened twice last year, but only once in a random blue moon, could it have gone out now from sitting?

2. I have not checked the oil level, hoping they would have before trying to demo my boat (Could be hoping to much there...) Could THAT have something to do with it? I don't think the oil was low when I left it with them.. It wasn't at the end of the season last year.

3. Is there a starter fuse?

I'm lost. :(

wolfeman131
03-27-2015, 02:01 PM
is this for your Moomba? If it's for that other boat, well . . . . .

did they check ALL of the breakers? I think there is one on/in the engine compartment.

sivs1
03-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Not sure how much this will help. On mine if the safety lanyard is not connected it will still turn over, just not fire. Make sure it is in neutral by putting it in gear and back to neutral. If the oil is low it should still start unless there is almost no oil in it. Battery(s) connected right? Battery switch positioned right? Fuel pump priming when turn the key?

sicktc06
03-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Ha! This is for the Moomba unfortunately! The boat that has been flawless to me the entire time I've owned it! And of course, the time to sell is when I have the issues!! I guess thats my boat being upset at me for letting it go to a new home.

I am not sure though, I will ask them to check it out on the breakers.
I'll also ask them if the pump primes.

sicktc06
03-27-2015, 03:22 PM
I got word that they checked and everything turned on when they turned on the key, but nothing happened other than everything turning on.. No turn over, nothing. So they went back and messed with the starter wires and tapped it with a hammer and it fired up. Looks like I'll be having a starter put on!

Thanks guys!

mmandley
03-28-2015, 12:44 AM
I got word that they checked and everything turned on when they turned on the key, but nothing happened other than everything turning on.. No turn over, nothing. So they went back and messed with the starter wires and tapped it with a hammer and it fired up. Looks like I'll be having a starter put on!

Thanks guys!

Dang I just saw this and I was going to point you to the starter. The click then start in the summer is a sure sign of it going bad. The winter allows moisture to build up and electronics don't really like the cold much.

newty
03-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Glad they found the problem. Check skidim.com for the best prices.

wolfeman131
03-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Why buy a new starter? Just throw in a hammer and get the deal closed.