PDA

View Full Version : Time for a wheel upgrade, and BERG is my hero.

trayson
03-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Well, today I was running around at lunch and decided to gas up the boat. I was just a few blocks from work and on some narrow streets. I was at a complete stop and made a right turn. Obviously I didn't swing wide enough into the oncoming traffic's lane and my trailer cut the corner. I looked in my side view mirror just in time to see the air shooting out the sidewall of the tire.

So yeah, this just happened.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CXbJeshaO5M/VRRtQq5izZI/AAAAAAAAYcI/zvWd2p_fX4o/s640/20150326_125741.jpg

And the natural question is "Do I have a spare?". Well, the boat didn't come with one. Last season I bought the bracket to mount the spare on the trailer, but had been holding off because my intention was to buy a full set of 5 aluminum wheels since I was going to have to buy 1 wheel regardless. I was just about to pull the trigger on the set of 5 any day. Well, that timeline has been accelerated. I just placed my order for 5 wheels and 2 more tires. Yippee!!!

I have a couple friends driving a half hour to come boating with us after work, and another friend that's rearranged his whole evening to be able to join us tonight. I really didn't want to disappoint our friends because of my wheel/tire woes.

And I really didn't want to buy a wheel locally just to turn around and buy the 5 I really wanted online. So here's where Berg comes in: He's going to swing by the boat launch after work and let me borrow his spare until my new ones arrive. Berg is my hero! (and I owes him some serious beer)

newty
03-26-2015, 06:29 PM
I've got a wheel you can have. You'll have to remount the tire.
It's white, but free.

newty
03-26-2015, 06:31 PM
You can just remove the wheel and drive short distances. I've done it in a pinch.
You have to keep it under 80 and avoid curbs.

trayson
03-26-2015, 06:39 PM
I've got a wheel you can have. You'll have to remount the tire.
It's white, but free.

Thanks for the offer man. But I pulled the trigger on five new wheels and a pair of new tires.

Got 5 of these in route, should arrive on Tues or Wed from the same place you got your aluminum wheels.
http://www.trailer-wheels.com/assets/images/t13-5-lug.jpg

You can just remove the wheel and drive short distances. I've done it in a pinch.
You have to keep it under 80 and avoid curbs.

Yeah, my work is just a couple miles from the boat launch. It's closer to get to the boat launch than it is to get to the tire shop. Then I'll throw Berg's spare on for a week until my new stuff gets sorted.

I'll keep it under 25. Too bad, because I was hoping to do some drifting with the trailer on the round-about by officer's row...
Yeah,

newty
03-26-2015, 06:44 PM
That'd be fun to watch...from a distance.

trayson
03-26-2015, 06:51 PM
That'd be fun to watch...from a distance.

Oh wait. I just remembered. It's not possible to do any trailer drifting... I don't have a diesel. :-(

kaneboats
03-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Just announced-- SC's Man of the Year for 2014 (includes through March 2015): BERG!

jmvotto
03-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the offer man. But I pulled the trigger on five new wheels and a pair of new tires.

Got 5 of these in route, should arrive on Tues or Wed from the same place you got your aluminum wheels.
http://www.trailer-wheels.com/assets/images/t13-5-lug.jpg

Yeah, my work is just a couple miles from the boat launch. It's closer to get to the boat launch than it is to get to the tire shop. Then I'll throw Berg's spare on for a week until my new stuff gets sorted.

I'll keep it under 25. Too bad, because I was hoping to do some drifting with the trailer on the round-about by officer's row...
Yeah,

Sucks that happened but those are bad ass rims, cheddar is flying ...:o

trayson
03-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Sucks that happened but those are bad ass rims, cheddar is flying ...:o

Cha ching!!!!

RobertJ
03-27-2015, 01:56 AM
Nice looking wheels. What are you doing with your old ones? I need to by a spare.

slipperyrockTKE300
03-27-2015, 05:35 AM
Those the kind of wheels where when you stop they keep spinning?

I'm totally jam jar, man

moombadaze
03-27-2015, 08:03 AM
That's a good looking wheel, worthy of a single pimp point id say. Lets see a picture on the trailer, might even be 2 point pimp improvement

td_in_nc
03-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Nice looking wheels. What are you doing with your old ones? I need to by a spare.

That sucks that this happened. I am in the same boat - got a new trailer but did not come with a spare. If you decide to sell tires I am interested in spare.

sandm
03-27-2015, 10:17 AM
unless you're local, buying a spare might be spensive to ship.
cost me $150 for a spare at the local tire shop. that was rim and tire.

rims look good..

04OUTBACK
03-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Can anyone tell me what size the tires/wheels are on double axle trailers.. i have 18" tires/wheels, but need a spare for my road trip tor portland.. they dont make the rim i have anymore so i cant get a match, and a basic spare is all i need.

trayson
03-27-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll sell off the other three wheels. I will be keeping the TIRES. Just selling the bare wheels. I get pretty good shipping rates through work, so it *might* be feasible, but not sure. I just shipped about 22 pounds to the Midwest and I was able to get it done for like $12 to $13 in shipping.

That sucks that this happened. I am in the same boat - got a new trailer but did not come with a spare. If you decide to sell tires I am interested in spare.

Again, I'll be keeping the tires, but selling the wheels.

Brand new the best price I've found on the wheels I have is $80 shipped. So for a used wheel I'd do $40 shipped to the lower 48 states. I can get actual pics of each of the 3 good wheels so people can see what they're buying. IIRC, one had some surface rust so I'll see if I can clean that up at all and post pics. I don't want people to be surprised.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YeBB9It3zAc/VCmV3z_hfjI/AAAAAAAAUwU/dD4rmPnLUjo/s800/IMG_1633.JPG

Can anyone tell me what size the tires/wheels are on double axle trailers.. i have 18" tires/wheels, but need a spare for my road trip tor portland.. they dont make the rim i have anymore so i cant get a match, and a basic spare is all i need.

Go to this tire size calculator, punch in your existing tire size. if you want to get a basic spare (like a 14 or 15") then change the wheel size and it'll give you options that will have about the equivalent rolling diameter.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

trayson
04-02-2015, 01:37 PM
So, I ordered up my 5 wheels from trailer-wheels.com and they had great prices and fast shipping. I opted to get a pair of tires from them as well and had them throw them on, as they mounted for free.

I didn't pay close enough attention when ordering the new tires though. I ordered a pair of bias ply, only to find out that the other 3 tires I had are radials. Technically you can mix them on a trailer, but I didn't want to do that. Trailer-wheels.com wouldn't take back the tires since they'd been mounted, so now I'm stuck having to sell a pair of trailer tires on CL or whatever.

I'll also be selling the remaining 3 steel wheels.

I got 2 new radial trailer tires mounted/balanced yesterday. I took the two wheels that were getting new tires into the tire shop and put those on the trailer last night. Now I have the 3 steel wheels/tires off the trailer and in the back of the car with the 3 remaining new wheels and I'll put those on tonight. I did it in 2 trips so that I wouldn't have to haul the trailer into the tire shop in the rain. With Berg's spare the trailer is currently sitting on 3 wheels (with a jack stand giving additional support just in case and the bent/flat wheel thrown on for good measure in case the jack stand failed for some crazy reason. Yeah, I know the double axle trailer wouldn't drop far enough to have a rotor hit the ground on the wheel-less spot, but it took an extra 2 minutes with air tools)

I'll have pics after it's all together.

If anyone local wants a brand new tire or two, let me know:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/4959191466.html
Technically, I could ship, but we'd have to discuss as shipping would of course bump the price up, and to ship them in one box, I'd probably need to pay to get them mounted (I can get that done for $10 locally)

The 3 oem steel wheels will be $40 shipped each to the lower 48.
The surface rust that I mentioned shouldn't be a factor. I found a cool online tutorial that showed how to remove surface rust from chrome using aluminum foil. who would have guessed! I did a session with the foil and it did as promised. the chrome wheels are looking great.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nKtbN8gJ330/VR19z7HpjkI/AAAAAAAAYhc/HqbRZI6SNC8/s800/20150327_194433.jpg

parrothd
04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
What size are these and how much? For all 3 shipped, just the wheel not the tire.

trayson
04-02-2015, 05:18 PM

Tom, are you still going to buy the one wheel? I sent you a PM.

What size are these and how much? For all 3 shipped, just the wheel not the tire.

Tom above PM'd me last week about one wheel. So assuming he buys that one, I'd have 2 left. But regardless, $40 shipped each, which is half of the best new price I found.

They are 14x6.

bergermaister
04-02-2015, 05:21 PM
You guys need to pony up so he can cover the cost of that spare rental.

parrothd
04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
To small.. Thanks

trayson
04-02-2015, 05:31 PM
To small.. Thanks

I don't know if my fragile male ego can handle hearing that...

trayson
04-02-2015, 05:32 PM
You guys need to pony up so he can cover the cost of that spare rental.

I know, I know! I have almost got the full amount of the rental fee assembled...

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/pallets-beer-kegs-stock-brewery-ochakovo-moscow-oct-october-moscow-russia-largest-russian-company-32482795.jpg

sivs1
04-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I know, I know! I have almost got the full amount of the rental fee assembled...

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/pallets-beer-kegs-stock-brewery-ochakovo-moscow-oct-october-moscow-russia-largest-russian-company-32482795.jpg

Where's the like button when we need it? For future reference, don't rent anything from Berg, Spensive!

mmandley
04-02-2015, 11:53 PM
You got 2 tires locally you don't need?

I could use a spare Tire, my spare has a plug in it from a flat first year. Lucky it went flat at my house not on the highway.

beat taco
04-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Trayson, keep the spares! Make sure they are always with your boat! That way you will never get another flat!

bergermaister
04-03-2015, 01:01 AM
I rolled for 4 years with no spare. (Yes, stupid I know)

Then got chicken and finally got one amongst the spring upgrades. Sure enough that summer had my first blow out on the freeway. Funny how that works.

trayson
04-03-2015, 01:12 AM
You got 2 tires locally you don't need?

I could use a spare Tire, my spare has a plug in it from a flat first year. Lucky it went flat at my house not on the highway.

Mike, the tires are 205-75-14. Load Range C. If that's the size you'd need, I'd be happy to put your name on one.

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/ST20575D14-Jaxxon-Bias-Ply-Trailer-Tires-Load-Range-C-1760-lb-Max-Load_p_1407.html#.VR4gIo4uDBs

I paid $80 for each of the tires, which was a pretty good deal as the website prices stuff aggressively... What do you think would be a fair price?

RobertJ
04-03-2015, 01:41 AM
I want one of the wheels down in Salem for a spare. If it had a tire that might work as well. PM if you still have one. Thanks

trayson
04-03-2015, 01:55 AM
I want one of the wheels down in Salem for a spare. If it had a tire that might work as well. PM if you still have one. Thanks

PM sent...........

mmandley
04-03-2015, 04:00 AM
Let me look and I'll get back to you. Don't hold them for me though, if you get a buyer sell sell sell

trayson
04-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Let me look and I'll get back to you. Don't hold them for me though, if you get a buyer sell sell sell

Copy that.

trayson
04-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Got the new wheels on and installed the spare tire carrier.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-91HY1MWVFLQ/VR6rcsAhQyI/AAAAAAAAYhw/RajICo1eZRk/s800/20150402_181848.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UCeXYKQyzdM/VR6reEriezI/AAAAAAAAYh4/mo6Ijp1VTJs/s800/20150402_181831.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JzLnTnS3_iM/VR6rf7nqn2I/AAAAAAAAYiA/oWxG2K98jpQ/s800/20150402_181903.jpg

I swapped out the lug nuts that came with the spare tire carrier (3/4) so they'd match the size of the lug nuts on the rest of the trailer (13/16). I have to use a slim deep socket with the new wheels though. so I better make sure I carry THAT with me at all times...

sivs1
04-03-2015, 11:13 AM
nice......

newty
04-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Go to a tire shop and get a chrome cap for that spare. $5

zabooda
04-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Very nice.

trayson
04-05-2015, 02:05 AM

Clear you PM's. I'd love to sell you a wheel with tire ($110), but if you only want a wheel we can do that too. ($40)

Badfoot
04-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Really nice! Me likey. Where did you get them?

trayson
04-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Really nice! Me likey. Where did you get them?

www.trailer-wheels.com

ISUclonesrule
04-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Messages are full Tryson, for $110, will the tire be mounted/balanced on the wheel? Thanks

trayson
04-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Messages are full Tryson, for $110, will the tire be mounted/balanced on the wheel? Thanks

Cleared some messages. Yeah, I could make sure the tire was on the wheel for ya.

trayson
04-08-2015, 09:58 PM

I sold all three wheels and sold 1 tire. so I've got 1 brand new tire left is all.

Did you check the size? Interested? No pressure if you're not.