PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice

zabooda
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
I'll try to keep it short. I've been out of skiing for the last two summers due to orthoscopic knee surgery on the right knee in 2013 and 2014. I did try skiing last summer using a ski with a slip in rear boot and dragging my right leg like I used to do as a kid but the old man syndrome hit me and I pulled my left leg hamstring about half way up and that ended my skiing comeback.

I am determined to get back on a slalom this summer and this is where I need advice and that is I am pondering getting a ski that is easier to get up on than my 69" 1994 HO Mach with double wrap bindings. I talked to Wiley's in Seattle and the salesman directed me to the 69" Radar Senate with custom made full wrap for the front and a slip in for the rear.

There have been some discussions in years past but I was doing fine so I never paid attention but does someone have experience with that ski? Has anyone had similar knee issues and how to work around it? Once I am up my lower body is locked in so I don't expect a problem at that point.

My options are:
1. Do nothing. Stay with the HO and see what happens.
2. Change out the rear boot and get up on two skis and drop one.
3. Change out the rear boot and get up with my bad leg dragging. Do some stretching exercises before I hit the water.
4. Change out the rear boot and attempt to get up with both feet in the bindings.
5. Get a new ski that would be easier to get up on with an open rear binding.

I've been slalom skiing for almost 50 years now and the drop ski bugs me. Having a rear slip in boot gives me a piece of mind that my foot will come out fast on a fall and the one leg starts is what I did for many years behind the common small engined boats. I don't mind the one leg starts and eventually I can do beach starts again and not get wet....ha ha. I just need to remember to stretch. I went from 250 pounds to 220 at this time and I hope to maintain it so that will be a factor.

A new ski would be nice as technology has changed the ski design also. Besides, I've blown out most of the original screws on the HO and have doubled up screws in places. It was to be a temporary fix some years ago but it worked out better than I thought.

Any other ski suggestions would be appreciated. I've come to the conclusion that I won't ski like I used to but I like the upper body workout and the enjoyment of being out there. I just don't want to go to the real wide skis as I've tried those years ago when they first came out and the cuts are non-existent. It was like skiing on a wake board.

parrothd
03-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Didn't read the whole post, buy a slalom training rope, makes life so much easier..

jmvotto
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
I have this ski from 2008/09 and the turns are pretty darn sharp when you want , also I only need to get to 29 mph . Helped me get up and I eventually replaced the rear toe for a dbl high wrap.

It's not oversized, I would say mid size...

http://www.obrien.com/product/synchro/

trayson
03-25-2015, 09:18 PM
I have never been able to get the whole dragging a foot or even dropping a ski. Honestly, for me it's been deep water start or nothing. to me, only having one foot in a ski is like snowboarding with only one foot in. (okay, not really but it scares me to have even less control with only one foot in than I'd have with both feet in.

That said, I got myself a new ski last year. I'm not a comp skier. I like to cut around and simply free ski.

The ski I got was a radar theory. it's rated for up to 32mph which is plenty fast for me.

Here is some of the descriptions of the ski:

By the time you arrive at the Theory in Radar's lineup, surface area is a point of conversation. At .5"" wider, deep starts are a snap and stability is starting to outweigh the necessity for aggressive ski lines. What You'll Feel Some of the most amazing skiing we do every year is on the Theory. The additional width throughout the ski makes it glide easily. Turn radius remains tight enough to run shoreline slalom at 32mph. Cruising skiing that even the most accomplished skier can appreciate.

I think you'd benefit from a ski that offers stability over hardcore performance. I don't like skiing with a slip, so it's double high boots for me.

Here's my setup:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9k3Tn_YeRc0/U_52Zux5CiI/AAAAAAAARrQ/TREL7YfJzfY/s800/20140827_165317.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7uOdm2LUkVY/U_52lEkQwhI/AAAAAAAARrY/xelAIYuvmfk/s800/20140827_165328.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UnKBzm3FdPY/U_52n-7XEqI/AAAAAAAARrg/MBvsZS5FNMM/s800/20140827_165336.jpg

And here's a pic of the bottom to get an idea of the concave and the edges
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9QF2huKX3FU/U_9PSjUT4yI/AAAAAAAAR6I/9ANaTDOGghc/s800/20140828_075514.jpg

I've skied better on this ski than I ever have in my life. fighting a ski that's super-hardcore-comp-performance oriented isn't where it's at. Get something that suits how you actually want to ski out there. Not "pulling hard" to get bouys, but just skiing for the enjoyment of it.

kaneboats
03-25-2015, 09:38 PM
I've never gotten up on a ski dragging a foot. Never taught anyone that way either. Learned on toe strap slaloms and advanced to double high wraps. Still, have cousins that swear by dragging their back foot -- somehow they thought this helped in the old outboard days. Gotta do what works for you and avoids injury. Dropping is a separate skill and lots of folks have trouble kicking the second ski off, then placing the rear foot's toe on the ski and sliding forward into the rear toe strap. Takes patience but can be done.

viking
03-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Zabooda,
sorry to here of your troubles and I'm with you - a buddy of mine same age (42) and he skis on a wide ski and I tease him and call it a "fat man" ski. I use an HO freeride. Keep in mind I don't chase bouys but I love to take a pull or 2 every day I'm out on the boat. Pulled hard and ran about 32 - 34 every set with my outback. Gonna slow it down and take it easier now going forward but not giving up on my 67". Been happy with my double boot setup for the last couple years.

DOCDRS
03-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Zabooda,.......you have been skiing for 50 years, so you are at least 56+/-,....... you have a beat up old ski,....... all I can say is ........Are you not worth a new ski?........hell, I think you are worth 2 or 3 new skis if thats what you love,........dont wait until your 60, or 70 when you can't slalom any more. .02

trayson
03-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Zabooda,
sorry to here of your troubles and I'm with you - a buddy of mine same age (42) and he skis on a wide ski and I tease him and call it a "fat man" ski. I use an HO freeride. Keep in mind I don't chase bouys but I love to take a pull or 2 every day I'm out on the boat. Pulled hard and ran about 32 - 34 every set with my outback. Gonna slow it down and take it easier now going forward but not giving up on my 67". Been happy with my double boot setup for the last couple years.

The HO Freeride was the other ski i was considering. But I got a better deal on the Radar Theory. Either one of those would be pretty legit. maybe you can see if you can get a demo of one of those. Do you have any boat dealers that do demo days near you?

zabooda
03-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Zabooda,.......you have been skiing for 50 years, so you are at least 56+/-,....... you have a beat up old ski,....... all I can say is ........Are you not worth a new ski?........hell, I think you are worth 2 or 3 new skis if thats what you love,........dont wait until your 60, or 70 when you can't slalom any more. .02

That is what I was looking for. I'm not sure what ski it will be but it is time for a change. Demo days around here are non-existent. I ski about 35-36 mainly because I carried more weight than my 69" ski could handle. I should do much better with the weight loss and a little wider ski.

iwaterskihard
03-26-2015, 08:03 AM
First off - turn your current ski into a collectors item and get yourself onto some new technology. Find a couple studs in the wall of your garage and screw the ski to it so you ave something to remind you of your past!
Secondly - look on Ski-It-Again for a ski. There is a ton of choices and skis made by every ski maker that will fit what you are looking for? Do your research into the companies and these skis.
Thirdly - wth are you skiing 34-36 mph for if you're not skiing competitively? I could see 34 if you're using a 75 ft longline but there isn't a need for that. Shorten the rope to 15 even 22 off and ski 30-32. It will help you work on proper form and alignment.
The wider and lighter skis made now days are made specifically for people that want exactly what you want out of a ski. They are designed to help with deep water starts ad stability on top of the water yet allowing you to push the limits some,
I can't stress enough to look around the manufactures sights, find these skis, then search out ebay and ski-it-again for the best deal on any one of them.

Good luck dude and hope you get back on the water soon! :)

gregski
03-26-2015, 12:18 PM
As far as the question about binding setup, I'd recommend sticking with double high wraps. With a knee at less than 100% I would want to stay with what I was most comfortable with. As you found out with you hamstring, it may not be a good time to learn (or re-learn) a new trick. In general, your knees are safer in double boot since there isn't an opportunity for one leg/knee to twist relative to the rest of your body. For example, snowboarders don't commonly get knee injuries like skiers (but they do break more wrists and collarbones).

Starting with both feet in does require more force but it should be nice and stacked and shouldn't put weird stress on your knee, it would be like doing a squat lift with more weight. I suppose it really depends on what part of the knee you had work on and what forces you are trying to avoid/minimize. If you are trying to minimize lateral, stabilizing, or any rotational forces (ligaments), I would definitely recommend full doubles. If you are trying to avoid the straight lifting type pressure (cartilage/meniscus?) then that might be a different story.

zabooda
03-27-2015, 02:25 AM
First off - turn your current ski into a collectors item and get yourself onto some new technology. Find a couple studs in the wall of your garage and screw the ski to it so you ave something to remind you of your past!
Secondly - look on Ski-It-Again for a ski. There is a ton of choices and skis made by every ski maker that will fit what you are looking for? Do your research into the companies and these skis.
Thirdly - wth are you skiing 34-36 mph for if you're not skiing competitively? I could see 34 if you're using a 75 ft longline but there isn't a need for that. Shorten the rope to 15 even 22 off and ski 30-32. It will help you work on proper form and alignment.
The wider and lighter skis made now days are made specifically for people that want exactly what you want out of a ski. They are designed to help with deep water starts ad stability on top of the water yet allowing you to push the limits some,
I can't stress enough to look around the manufactures sights, find these skis, then search out ebay and ski-it-again for the best deal on any one of them.

Good luck dude and hope you get back on the water soon! :)

I only kept my original Cypress Gardens comp ski from the late 60s stored in the attic and I have other things in the house that remind me of the past that are less gaudy. I ski 34-36 at 22 off for a few reasons: 1) my weight and ski size, 2) the boat wake at anything slower is lousy 3) my competitive days are long gone so I do it for show and exercise as when the old man gets on the water my cuts are matched by very few but none were skiing on a 250 pound frame. I plan to go to Wiley's sometime in the next few months and see what they can do. They have made my bindings in the past and have always tried to sell me a new blank over the years but it is hard to change even if I got one for free.

As far as testing my knee, I plan to continue my workouts with some squats performed toe to heel. Stay tuned.

trayson
03-27-2015, 11:50 AM
but it is hard to change even if I got one for free.

Someone sounds stubborn.

zabooda
03-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Someone sounds stubborn.

The problem is I've had a few skis that didn't pan out and now is not a time to try too much experimenting. Once I had a Jobe ski that didn't match my neutral stance very well with a squirrelly tail end and insufficient edge. I gave it to a friend with the stipulation he has to use it. It was funny watching him crash and burn.

Mikey
03-28-2015, 05:12 PM
I want to agree with some or most of the above comments. I agree you should likely find a newer ski. Technology like most things now days has changed quite drastically. You really need to find a Knowlegable sales person , who knows the differences between brands and models etc.likely with some coaching experience so that you can also throw in Ski speeds,wake size rope lengths etc into the equation.... Find a skier who knows what he is talking about.

As for boots and boot setups, still gonna be a bit of a preference as to what is best. You could go with a solid front boot with toe straps in rear and still come out of water two feet in. I've been skiing double boots so long thats what i do anyways. .. With the rear toe strap option you would have the option of dock/beach starting though which i think if done properly puts way less strain on your body on a whole...Mostly about timing more than anything plus the added benefit of not getting wet if you want.

This is gonna be your personal choice . YOU have to make though.

I have a new ski with no binding that i'm still undecided which way i am going to go on this. This is a newer trend a lot of PRO,s are going, but mostly for a different reason. They mostly want the mobility allowing a little hip twisting etc to allow for more turning equality.

Mikey
03-28-2015, 05:18 PM
We have a local ski shop here in Calgary Alberta ( Schuswap ski and Board ) owned and run by an ex Canadian ski coach . Mike Gazeley. Who is very knowlegable in current ski technology and gear who is constantly skiing and consulting/testing. With the likes of Matt Rini( one of top ski coaches and Radar consultant) and others. I,m sure you could likely talk on the phone etc and he could help steer you to a ski and or gear to suit YOU.