PDA

View Full Version : V-drive oil leak repair.

996scott
03-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Last year I would notice a little oil in the bilge water at the end of the day on the water. While I was putting in the reversible pumps last week I decided to try and figure out where it was coming from. Turns out the bottom of the V-drive unit. I placed some paper towels under it and found a slow drip (one drop every day or two) dripping off one of the 4 bolts holding the pan to the bottom. I tightened all 4 of the bolts up (they were a little loose). I will see if that did the trick. If not I assume from what I have read that replacing the gasket is not too hard. Just drain the oil, remove the 4 bolts on bottom, clean off the old gasket and replace with a new one. Anyone know a part # for the gasket if I end up needing it? Or would it be better to use something else?

brain_rinse
03-24-2015, 12:13 PM
I've heard there are plenty that leak straight from the factory. Given that, I'd be wanting to try something different. I haven't seen what the gasket looks like, or if that truly is the culprit, but if so maybe gasket maker/sealant would be an improvement?

newty
03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I have to add a quart a season to mine.

996scott
03-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Yea, mine is minimal at best but I'm a type 1 kind of guy when it comes to keeping things clean, even in the engine compartment/bilge area. I would probably try some of the gasket sealer material instead of the traditional paper gaskets. Just wondering if anyone has actually done it.

brain_rinse
03-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Sounds like a good "how to" thread. I'll provide the sticky...

DOCDRS
03-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a good "how to" thread. I'll provide the sticky...

I like your thinking