PDA

View Full Version : mounting amp

Gharvin
05-24-2006, 07:35 AM
i am looking at mounting my amp, and i want to mount it on the gunnel side of the ski locker. I am considering pulling down the carpet and glueing a piece of mdf directly to the fiberglass then putting the carpet back over it. has anyone tryed this? what adhesive?

smokedog2
05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
I’m not sure where the gunnel or the ski locker is, is this where the amp is usually mounted – below the glove box on the fwd wall? Mine is mounted there through the carpet with 1.2” screws (I think). Your idea is better if you find the right glue. I’d guess a glue gun type of glue but be sure it is what you want and where you want it.

SD2

MEDIC151
05-24-2006, 09:22 AM
I, like smoke, had mine under the glove box mounted vertically on a board the I had covered in the same carpet. Two reasons for where I put mine was that it was protected for the most part from water, except when the glove box had water in it( long story) and it was easy to access the stereo and batteries. Only issue that I had was heating. It never overheated, but you would get quite the suprise reaching in for a towel and touching the cooling fins.

Medic

lowdrag
05-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Are you talking about the center ski locker in the floor of the front of the boat? If so I would worry about this a little, especially if you have the ballast system. I can see a hose popping of the bag and causing some water damage to your amp. I could also see some long term issues with this even if you don't have the ballast system. It seems like that area always has a little bit of water in the bottom of it. Over time I could see the moisture in that compartment giving your amp some problems.