PDA

View Full Version : Frozen mobius

BlatinD
03-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm in panic mode. Anyone have any experience with a Mobius being exposed to below freezing temps and not being winterized?

I had my 2014 Mobius out on the water last weekend because we had a freakishly warm weekend. I thought it was a sure sign of Spring so we decided what the heck. Well, I took the transom drain plug out and did my normal thing after trailering the boat. I keep it stored on a boat lot outside during the summer and then winterize it and put it away in the winter. Well, Since I got it back out, I just parked on the boat lot with the cover on it. Unfortunately, temps dropped back down and it ended up sitting outside in like 19-25 degree weather over a couple nights. I just now got it inside so it's "thawing". Not good.

It was winterized before I took it out and we were on the water for about 3 hours. What indications can I look for to know if anything is cracked? Or is there a possibility that I got lucky and nothing happened at all? The day temps were around 32-40 all week with nights dropping below freezing for a couple of them.

If I'm screwed, what kind of prices am I looking at?

:?

MLA
03-21-2015, 04:54 PM
If you know where the drains are and where water collects in the fresh water intake, it takes about 15 minutes to drain the system. We can ride year round and pull the drains and hoses right on the ramp and drive home.

parrothd
03-21-2015, 05:33 PM
You'll find out when you start it, anywhere from $0 to new engine and labor..

sandm
03-21-2015, 05:39 PM
hook it up to a fake-lake and run it in the driveway. if you see water collecting in the bilge, not good.

if you do this, be sure and drain the block again or keep it inside until spring has really set.

it's what I would do but not saying that's the right thing to do.

beat taco
03-21-2015, 05:41 PM
I would have it pressure tested. You can visually look at the freeze plugs and see if they are bowed out from the water expanding. Look at the exhaust manifolds. you can also start it so you can check the oil after it runs to see if there's water in it. If it has a heater your heater core probably has a hole in it now. Hopefully you have freeze insurance.

newty
03-21-2015, 06:21 PM
If you end up with a cracked block, I'd file an insurance claim. You dont want to pay out of pocket for a new motor.
At LEAST 6K.

BlatinD
03-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Yep, definitely has a heater. F!@#....

BlatinD
03-21-2015, 06:28 PM
So what I'm hearing, is there's no chance its not damaged? lol....shit.

BlatinD
03-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Leave it up to me to put 2.5 hours on a $50k boat and crack the block because I'm impatient. It's in the shop now...should hear something Monday.

parrothd
03-21-2015, 06:49 PM
I froze my race bike one year, it ran fine after it thawed.. Just depends on how cold and how fast it froze.. You may get lucky, or not...

smorris7
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if the block is cracked insurance probablyyy will not cover. At least not in any instance if have heard of. Hopefully it wasn't below freezing long enough to cause any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newty
03-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Actually it's quite common.

beat taco
03-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Some policies add it automatically, others it's supplimental.

viking
03-21-2015, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't panic until you check it out completely. You may have lucked out if it only dipped below freezing. Especially if there was no wind? If you said it was sub zero for a month I wouldn't be so optimistic. Just Maybe you lucked out but I'd surely at least pull drain plugs next time no matter what.

BlatinD
03-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Yea, Im an idiot...I knew better too, just didn't expect the weather to drop. It wasn't below freezing long but if the block got cold enough when it was, I doubt that it warming up to 38 or 40 warmed it up much. It's boating basics and I was too confident that it'd be fine. Hopefully I get good news monday. Thanks for your inputs. I been reading up on it...seems there's many different situations. I've heard of some getting screwed from just one night, and others having no damage at all.

jmvotto
03-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Where are you located?

It may not have froze enough to crack anything, but depends on the temps.

trayson
03-22-2015, 12:05 AM
I would think that if anything, maybe you messed up the heater.

Check out this thread with this chart where the monitored temps. Your block is somewhat insulated even if it's outdoors.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/392888.html

This chart actually sounds a lot like your scenario. And if that's the case you can see that the motor and even the sides of the boat stayed above freezing. So i wouldn't panic just yet.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/392889.jpg

BlatinD
03-22-2015, 01:16 AM
This is some interesting stuff. Thanks guys. If anything for encouragement...lol.

BlatinD
03-22-2015, 01:25 AM
21581 this was what it got exposed to.

cornrickey
03-22-2015, 02:17 AM
Saturday night be the only day but I think you are fine. It didn't get cold, long enough.

lee
03-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Tuesday night was not a good night either.

kaneboats
03-23-2015, 10:28 AM
The wind doesn't matter at all b/c a boat cant "feel" a wind chill. All that matters is the temp and the duration of below freezing. The block holds heat after it has been run but after a few days it will dissipate. So, if a week went by and then it got exposed to prolonged sub freezing temps you might be in trouble. Let us know what you find out.

sivs1
03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
I am always eager to get out on the water, last year we had snow on June 17 and temps dropped into the mid 20's. I was nervous, but was fine as it was only a couple hours over night. After that I changed my drain plugs to valves so it is super quick to drain the block. Something similar to these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-Worldwide-1-4-in-Brass-Packing-Gland-FPT-x-FPT-Full-Port-Ball-Valve-114-2-14-14/204209192?N=5yc1vZbbl6

Still have to remove hoses from water pump and heater.

viking
03-23-2015, 12:00 PM
The wind doesn't matter at all b/c a boat cant "feel" a wind chill. All that matters is the temp and the duration of below freezing. The block holds heat after it has been run but after a few days it will dissipate. So, if a week went by and then it got exposed to prolonged sub freezing temps you might be in trouble. Let us know what you find out.

The wind DOES matter. Ask anybody that has a trailer house with skirting about the difference in 30 degree weather. No wind and the pipes don't freeze because it's insulated enough with the skirting. Constant wind and it will find it's way through the cracks and Wind Chill Does matter. If boat was stored outside in constant below freezing temps WITH wind it will find it's way through the vents and make a difference. Not a scientist but I'm sure there is a scientific explanation :)
Wind chill in 80degree Florida brings the temps to "feel like" conditions of what - 60 degrees?

newty
03-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Wind chill absolutely effects freezing. Wind blows away any ambient heat radiating from buildings, pipes... engine blocks.

sandm
03-23-2015, 12:43 PM
never knew how cold a minus50deg wind chill day was until moving here.. night and day difference if the actual temp is 10below.

my block will hold some of it's temps for a few hours after running, but typically by end of night, it's ambient temp.

gregski
03-23-2015, 12:53 PM
The confusion is "wind chill" vs. insulation. Wind chill doesn't matter. Dry objects don't feel wind chill: 20 degrees is 20 degrees if the air is perfectly still or if the wind is blowing 100 miles an hour. But, air is an insulator. If an object (the boat/motor) is at 40 degrees from the day time temperature, the air immediately around it will be close to that also even as the night air gets colder. That little blanket of air slows down the thermal transfer. But if you move that warm air away and replace it with colder air, then your object will lose its heat more quickly - but this effect is most certainly not "wind chill".

newty
03-23-2015, 01:07 PM
The confusion is "wind chill" vs. insulation. Wind chill doesn't matter. Dry objects don't feel wind chill: 20 degrees is 20 degrees if the air is perfectly still or if the wind is blowing 100 miles an hour. But, air is an insulator. If an object (the boat/motor) is at 40 degrees from the day time temperature, the air immediately around it will be close to that also even as the night air gets colder. That little blanket of air slows down the thermal transfer. But if you move that warm air away and replace it with colder air, then your object will lose its heat more quickly - but this effect is most certainly not "wind chill".
Your right. Never really thought about it like that.

kaneboats
03-23-2015, 02:30 PM
I think we are all saying the same thing. He just did a nicer job of it.

newty
03-23-2015, 02:48 PM
I dunt always use em wurds rite.

BlatinD
03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Well...just heard back from the shop...ALL IS GOOD! I survived. Thanks guys for the inputs.

kaneboats
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Happy to hear it.

BlatinD
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Yea, got away with one there. Now if it would just warm up.

BlatinD
03-23-2015, 02:54 PM
I am always eager to get out on the water, last year we had snow on June 17 and temps dropped into the mid 20's. I was nervous, but was fine as it was only a couple hours over night. After that I changed my drain plugs to valves so it is super quick to drain the block. Something similar to these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-Worldwide-1-4-in-Brass-Packing-Gland-FPT-x-FPT-Full-Port-Ball-Valve-114-2-14-14/204209192?N=5yc1vZbbl6

Still have to remove hoses from water pump and heater.

Going to do the same.

newty
03-23-2015, 03:23 PM
That's great news.

brain_rinse
03-23-2015, 05:19 PM
That's great news! I wouldn't bet on your misfortune, but I expected a cracked heater core at minimum. Free lesson learned!

drb59
03-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Great news. Good reminder for us all.

gregski
03-24-2015, 11:39 AM
I would never plan on it but there are lots of stories without damage. I think it takes more cold than one would think to actually freeze the water in the block. The stakes are high.. there are plenty of damage stories as well. I survived a surprise deep freeze that gave me a real scare. In my case all of the hoses were frozen so I doubt it would have survived another night like that. There is just so much thermal mass there, I think it's really about the 48 hour average temperature. In any case, what a relief for you.

bergermaister
03-25-2015, 12:47 AM
No kidding good luck/news. My neighbor's lucked out with their 'toon a few years ago. Popped a soft plug out of the block. Downside was it was right under an engine mount. But they were only out a few hours shop time to lift the engine, install new plug, bolt it all back together.

JASONZ
03-25-2015, 10:17 AM
It's fine....it has to be really prolonged cold with highs in the 20s to do damage. 19 overnight is not going to cause a problem.

pdhj1990
03-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Great news - enjoy the summer!