PDA

View Full Version : Not a good night for me and maintenance of fluids.

trayson
03-20-2015, 02:41 AM
So, it started okay. I hooked up the Flush Pro and started up my boat running off the garden hose. it worked as designed and I got out my level and checked the tranny and vdrive fluid. the tranny fluid needed a top off, so I added some.

Oops, I added too much. No problem though, as I have a little hand pump to suck the fluid out of the transmission. Yep, the hand pumps that I've read about people losing the bottom tube off the pump into the transmission. What happened next? You guessed it, lost the tube...

Luckily I had my little grabber tool that I call "The Claw" (reminiscent of Toy Story). I spent a few minutes fishing and was able to snag the tube and get it out. *whew* That little $5 tool was a life saver!!!

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/grabbertool.jpg

Since I had got the boat up to temp, the next job was an oil change. My oil pan has the pigtail of hose coming off the bottom, and I made my own extension with a pair of threaded hose barbs, hose, and a coupler. It was pretty slick and my hose went out the drain plug and down to an oil pan on the ground.

Well, just because the water is up to temp doesn't mean the oil is up to temp. it was coming out like molasses, even with the dipstick and the oil fill cap off. This was going to take FOREVER. So I went rummaging around the garage and dug out my trusty topsider oil extractor. Once again, a great tool for the job! So I pumped it up and got it working at sucking the oil out of the dipstick hole. Yahoo!

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/332/33226_2000x2000.jpg

Okay, now on to the oil filter. My boat has the filter relocation kit, so this should be a breeze, right? WRONG. I couldn't get any leverage on it. I couldn't really get my oil filter wrench on there. Okay, no problem, 3 screws and I'll remove that little panel that's blocking the oil filter access.

Okay, with that done, I could get my wrench on the filter. Wow, it wasn't budging. I was denting up the filter but it wasn't moving at all.

Okay, fine-- I'll just undo the 3 bolts that secure the remote filter housing to the engine bracket, then I can really get some leverage on it. Nope, that didn't do anything other than mangle the filter even more.

Fine, I'm desperate now and on to the next disassembly... I removed the in and out tubes that connect to the remote filter housing. Now I have just the housing and the oil filter. Still won't budge.

Good grief. Well, now the housing is going into the garage and I've got it clamped in my bench vise! Tried clamping it one way, that didn't work, so I opened the bench vise up nice and wide and put the housing in the vice with the oil filter sticking straight up. FINALLY with one hand on the vice and the other pulling hard on the filter wrench that was secured at the lip of the filter I was able to get it to spin. Ultimately, the gasket that's attached to the filter separated from the filter, leaving the gasket on the remote housing. Ridiculous. I've never had to fight a filter like that ever.

In the end, the filter was dented, punctured, and basically beat to hell. But I got it all back together and didn't get any oil to speak of on the boat. (the oil dripped on the locker wall that was folded down and I was able to wipe that up before it got on the carpet).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FKySNMNAUX8/VQu8Kzp6SVI/AAAAAAAAYT0/pP7_107q5b4/s800/20150319_222434.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u7n-hKEXsE0/VQu8Z0kvztI/AAAAAAAAYUU/Zzwtqm15svI/s800/20150319_222459.jpg

gregski
03-20-2015, 03:41 AM
I hate those days. I start questioning my ability to even perform a simple oil change!

Well, just because the water is up to temp doesn't mean the oil is up to temp. it was coming out like molasses, even with the dipstick and the oil fill cap off. This was going to take FOREVER.I have this problem no matter how long I run on the garden hose. The only solution I've found is to run for 15 minutes, then let it sit for 20-30, then run for another 15... or do it after being on the lake. It makes me wonder if the oil pump is positioned such that it's really only cycling through the oil at the very top of the pan...

Ultimately, the gasket that's attached to the filter separated from the filter, leaving the gasket on the remote housing.This happened to me on the truck except the filter is tucked way up in a perfectly shaped area of the oil pan so you cannot see it. I forgot to check that the gasket came out, so I had 2 gaskets on there when I reassembled it. Guess how well that worked? About as good as pouring two quarts of oil on the driveway! It made a mess very quickly before I could kill the engine.

moombadaze
03-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Been there done that member here, welcome to the club, you should have seen the bruise i ended up with on my arm from trying to remove the filter

mmandley
03-20-2015, 06:40 AM
First oil filter on the Mojo I couldn't get it loose, didn't want to destroy it. So next time I went by the dealer I had them remove it.

I have had plenty of those difficult filters in my time, had double gaskets too. I think it happens at least once to everyone who does their own maintenance.

kaneboats
03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
It's why I like to do all my own and never take them in. If I'm the one that put it on I know I can get it off. I use an extractor to change my oil. Pull oil till it's dry then dump some fresh oil in and pull a little more till I start getting the clean stuff.

JASONZ
03-20-2015, 11:35 AM
I think its amazing that you did that without spilling any oil on the boat...
One time i removed the filter and the o-ring stuck to the housing. I screwed in the new filter....now with two oil rings....i cranked it up and oil spit out the oil through orings like a damn pressure washer...terrible mess.

trayson
03-20-2015, 11:48 AM
I think its amazing that you did that without spilling any oil on the boat...
One time i removed the filter and the o-ring stuck to the housing. I screwed in the new filter....now with two oil rings....i cranked it up and oil spit out the oil through orings like a damn pressure washer...terrible mess.

Well, after fully disassembling and removing the remote filter housing, after getting the filter off the housing, the gasket was just sitting on the housing. it's like after the filter came off, the gasket just gave up and said "I'm off and not going to mess with you anymore".

The oil that did spill ended up on the storage locker wall that was folded down. I was able to mop it up promptly. and because I took the remote housing off the bracket, I was able to do the hose removal with a rag under it.

I got 2 drips of oil on the vinyl when I was taking the filter and housing out of the boat, but wiped that up quickly and with no evidence.

drb59
03-20-2015, 02:14 PM
What a night for you! You did a great job and shows you know what you are doing.:D

trayson
03-20-2015, 02:49 PM
What a night for you! You did a great job and shows you know what you are doing.:D

Well, having a little persistence, creativity and some of the right tools sure helps. I've heard stories about people that lost their plastic tube in the tranny and had to crack it open to get it out!

drb59
03-20-2015, 06:29 PM
I don't think you can say "tranny" and crack it open in this forum!:cool:

trayson
03-20-2015, 07:19 PM

I thought you would have keyed in on this one honestly:

So I pumped it up and got it working at sucking the oil out of the dipstick hole.

drb59
03-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Too funny!;)

newty
03-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Not without a serious thread derailment anyway.