View Full Version : Vacation question

03-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Hey Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has travelled from Canada to the US for summer vacation with their boats. I am going to be going from alberta to Sandpoint ID. Does anyone know if there is anything that I need to do at the boarder with the boat (either on way down or back up). I have heard stories of needing to have them cleaned before they go into another body of water and also at the boarders to help with the spread of water born pests. Any information will be great. Thanks

03-18-2015, 12:03 AM
There are Idaho invasive species rules. I don't know specifics but the state inspects and a sticker is required. Go to the Idaho Parks and Recreation website for details.

03-18-2015, 02:41 AM
Remove all your ballast bags. Remove the plug in the back. You might have to pay the evasive permit but they are pretty reasonable.

When we towed the Mojo to AZ and back that's what each inspection asked for.

Where was the last place you where in the water?
Do you have hard tanks?
Did you store live fish in an onboard tank?

Me, OR and AZ
No. Yes I lied, much easier this way.

I flushed my bilge with simple green. Just pour a gallon in the bilge, disable bilge. Drive a couple hours. Fill with water let bilge pump it out.

No issues with inspection stations.

AZ required out of state permit but I think I paid 20 for 7 days.

03-18-2015, 09:09 AM
We go to Idaho all the time, they do require an out of state invasive species permit, easiest to buy online before you go. Think it was $20-30. There will be check points and you have to stop or risk a big fine.

03-18-2015, 09:15 AM
We r going to Idaho as well thx for the good info

From mooseknuckle sledding lodge
04 outback dd vortec

03-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Slightly off-topic: In Wyoming, they do an inspection at the port of entry, i.e. the truck weigh stations, for all watercraft entering the state even if you aren't using one of their lakes. I was driving through Wyoming and had to make a quick exit because I nearly missed the sign that said "all commercial trucks and watercraft must exit". My "big" truck sure felt small next to all of the big-rigs but that is the easiest parking lot I've ever had to deal with.

03-22-2015, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the info guys I will take a look online and see where to get the permit from.

03-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Been going down there with pwc and fifth wheel for years, because of the tandem tow thru montana. Either way, If your going thru Kingsgate south of Cranbrook or coming from Montana, there is a check station just as you roll into Pend Oreille, the town where the Walmart is (75miles from border) it's at a truck stop, I think a ConocoPhillips. Signs are posted. Permit is $50 per craft. Another spot to try is Hayden lake. Prefer it over sandpoint and courdalane. No tourists like us mostly locals.

As for the border, make sure you have your registration and a copy of the bill of sale, you will have more hassle with boat coming home than going down.

As a FYI, the sheriff department is quite active on the lakes so make sure you keep everything legal, because of our reg numbers they seem to check us more often, been examined 3 times, all on different trips.


03-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Have a lake house rented for a week on Hayden this year. Really excited about that trip.
Will purchase the permit online before the trip.