PDA

View Full Version : Am I to fat to go ropeless?

BrettLee3232
03-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Riding a LF 5'6 Fish. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but cannot even come close to having slack in the rope. I'm keeping most my weight on my front foot & toes. Staying off my heels. Pointing the board at the transom, hips parallel with the wave.

I figure I must weigh to much or something cause my wife & friend this weekend almost went ropeless without knowing what the hell they were doing.

I'm 6'3 320lbs..... am I to big or do I need a custom board or what?

FML

mmandley
03-16-2015, 03:32 AM
Ropeless is all about skill, wave, board. It takes all three to go wireless. The LF is a heavy board. You literally have to have 2 hands to hold it. This means is heavy in the water. Also means it's slow.

Your wife and friends, if they are lighter say under 200 yes they will go wireless easier. This is because that board is technically big enough, your wave is big enough so they can surf easier.

You will take longer to go wireless and you will have to actually have skill. Your weight and height means you need a longer board, 5ft to allow room to space your feet. Your weight means you need a fast buoyant board. You will find a foam core board that's closer to 5ft to 5.5ft and 2inches thick will be a lot easier to ride.

If this is your first summer really surfing, and everyone in your crew is new you will take longer to learn.

I'm a bigger guy and I have that LF board in my arsenal, I can barely wireless it but I can wireless so many other boards it's no comparison.

jmvotto
03-16-2015, 09:17 AM
try the IS red Rocket. That is a stable fast board for bigger fellows.

BamaMojo
03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
try the IS red Rocket. That is a stable fast board for bigger fellows.

Bump

2012 Mojo

smorris7
03-16-2015, 10:11 AM
You can do it but you will need to upgrade that board! I'm a bigger guy also 6'2 265 and have no problem but I probably would with the board your riding. The IS Red Rocket would be a great place to start or possibly a Ronix Duke.. Need a buoyant board. Look for something at least 60 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
03-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Another board to look at is the Doomswell Bigstep. I ride the Nubstep, which is the little brother to the Bigstep. it's a FAST board and would be a great board for bigger riders.

Brock is awesome to deal with.

http://www.doomswell.com/products/bigstep

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0737/7347/products/bigstep-web_grande.jpg?v=1420819029

And yes, I agree with Mike. It's a combo of the three. 2 of the three can compensate somewhat for lacking of one. Get a better board, get more skill, and get a bigger wave!

rca
03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Totally agree with Trayson. I'm almost 260 and love my Bigstep from Doomswell. First board I've felt really good on and I've ridden a number of boards. Talk to Brock. He can make an even bigger or more buoyant board if that is what you need. Great guy to deal with.

rca
03-16-2015, 06:35 PM
A shot of my Bigstep.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/nsdhusband/IMG_3532_zpsjyoecleg.jpg

trayson
03-16-2015, 06:41 PM
A shot of my Bigstep.

That's some Texas pride, right thar!!!!

And everything's bigger in TX, right????

newty
03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
A shot of my Bigstep.

That's bad azz, Nice board rca!

muehlcj
03-16-2015, 08:37 PM
What is your ballast setup in the Mondo? Flow?

A custom board would def. make a huge difference. Try soulcraft (jeff), chaos (nick) or the doomswell guys. All three are shapers and can tell you exactly what you need and each has the ability to make custom boards.

The answer is yes you can surf at 6'-3 320

smorris7
03-16-2015, 09:19 PM
A shot of my Bigstep.

That is a sweet board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbeckner27
03-16-2015, 09:30 PM
I was your exact size last summer and I was able to surf a LF 5-6 but it took as massive wave put out by a 24ft centurion with 4k worth of ballast. I then bought the red rocket and it is awesome. I was able to use my flow system and MUCH less weight and can go ropeless very easy.
Let me be the first one to say having to really work your tale off to stay with the wave cause your board is not buoyant enough or you don't have a big enough wave gets old and tiring really fast.
I know the boards mentioned so far are rather expensive in comparison to the LF but coming from experience it does make a huge difference. I really like the red rocket but I have also heard really good things about the bazooka by the walker project. Give Dennis Horton a call and talk with him about what they can do at walker project. We have a more local company here in the VA NC area called shortbus wakesurf. These guys also make fully custom boards and are very reasonable in pricing. They have offered to basically make a red rocket for me with some tweaks to what I would like different for less than I paid for my red rocket. It might be worth a call to them. Talk with Kyle Austin as he was the one helping me.

mark540
03-16-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm 6'6" 290 lbs, i use a Inland surfer Blue lake and a Walker Project Bazooka. IS, great light board, stable, easy beginner board for the whole family. Bazooka, more agressive carver, i use this the most after riding the Blue Lake for 5 years. I can ride ropeless on both in my 2008 Supra 21V with 750 bag in the starboard (GOOFY) and the front 650 half full, wakeplate all the way up. Pocket is short, but workable. Just traded the Supra on a 15 Mondo and already have 1100 lb bags and bigger IBS. I got the surf package with autoflow. This should be a better wake than the 21V from what I have seen. The 21V is a great wakeboard boat, but only so so on the surf wake, so the board does make a big difference.

BrettLee3232
03-17-2015, 02:05 AM
I'm 6'6" 290 lbs, i use a Inland surfer Blue lake and a Walker Project Bazooka. IS, great light board, stable, easy beginner board for the whole family. Bazooka, more agressive carver, i use this the most after riding the Blue Lake for 5 years. I can ride ropeless on both in my 2008 Supra 21V with 750 bag in the starboard (GOOFY) and the front 650 half full, wakeplate all the way up. Pocket is short, but workable. Just traded the Supra on a 15 Mondo and already have 1100 lb bags and bigger IBS. I got the surf package with autoflow. This should be a better wake than the 21V from what I have seen. The 21V is a great wakeboard boat, but only so so on the surf wake, so the board does make a big difference.

1100lb bags fit? Do you get them all the way full? I was thinking about ordering the 750lb or 900lb.

BamaMojo
03-17-2015, 07:14 AM
1100lb bags fit? Do you get them all the way full? I was thinking about ordering the 750lb or 900lb.

Brett, does your Mondo have Manual flow?
If so the 900 in each locker , IBS full and add another 3-400 bag port side bow on top of seats.
If no flow same setup with 1100's.

2012 Mojo

mark540
03-17-2015, 07:57 AM
I dont have the boat yet, middle of April spray date, but in doing research the 1100 will go, but not fill all the way. The one thing i was not able to determine was if those folks removed the panels in the back of the locker where at least on one side the ballast pumps are hiding. This will be my first mod, moving the ballast pumps. Doing the rough calcs from measurements i took at the dealer on a Mondo they had in the showroom, there is roughly 200 lbs extra to be gained by the panel and ballast pumps removal(about 3 cubic feet) I understand 900 lbs will fit now, so i should get close to the 1100 when i am done. I didn't take the panels out, but i have seen on here where the port side houses the pumps and there is nothing on the starboard side, this was a mojo, i would think the Mondo will be similar. Stay tuned once i get my boat, I'll do an upgrade thread.

mark540
03-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Oh and on the bag size, go as big as possible, there is little cost differences between the sizes and it willl save an upgrade later. I went 750s on my 21V, but 900s would have been better even if they wouldn't have filled completely. I am one that doesn't like to have exposed bags, so i lived with a short pocket, when if i had a little more weight, i could have filled the front locker more and extended the pocket. My buddy has a Tige RZR with the AVX and it has a nice long, good push wave, my goal is to beat it with the ability to go from side to side.

BrettLee3232
03-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Brett, does your Mondo have Manual flow?
If so the 900 in each locker , IBS full and add another 3-400 bag port side bow on top of seats.
If no flow same setup with 1100's.

2012 Mojo

I have a Auto Flow. I'm not doing any exposed bags on the seat or anywhere in the boat. I hate that, so I want to go as big as possible in the rear locker. I don't want to take up anymore storage area. The boat doesn't have very much as is.
My stereo battery is 82lbs so that might help a little on the surf side lol

kaneboats
03-17-2015, 11:36 PM
320? You have your work cut out for you. You need lots of ballast, perfect conditions, the right board, everybody sitting in the right places in the boat and some discipline. But, yes, you can surf and enjoy it! Get your wake maximized and get yourself a big guys' board as the posters above have detailed. Post a pic of yourself smiling and riding ropeless when you get her dialed in!