PDA

View Full Version : Which Boat Manufacturer First Made Wakeboard Boats?

slipperyrockTKE300
03-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Wife asked me this yesterday. She thought it may have been Moomba.

I have no idea. I was thinking MasterCraft

moombadaze
03-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Good question, i think it was MC too, i remember a green direct drive Xstar

jmvotto
03-15-2015, 10:28 AM
I would think it was the first v drive boat in the mid 90's that really got it started cuz skurfing, now wakeboarding. Got popular in the mid 80's

boardman74
03-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Definitely not Moomba. I'd say MC or Nautique. The first V drive I know if is the Nautique Super Sport which became the first Super Air Hull in the early 90's. Nautique also owns the patents for the first tower. I'd say that gives the edge to Nautique.

What are you using do define the first wakeboard boat? In the beginning most were just ski boats they added towers to. The early boats didn't come with perfect pass or ballast or anything else we expect today. The direct drive Xstar referenced was simply a renamed 205i ski boat hull, also around since the early 90's. First V drive Xstar was that same hull(running surface) set up as a Vdrive instead of a DD.

slipperyrockTKE300
03-15-2015, 03:01 PM
lets define "wakeboard boat" as one that is non-direct drive and one with internal ballast on both sides of the rear hull.

And how popular did skurfing really become? I'd say not much - at least not in Florida. I have never seen anyone do it, talk about it or promote it.

newty
03-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Centurion had some pretty early V-drives with good wake capability. I'd say they were one of the first.

jester
03-15-2015, 03:08 PM
This is kind of a loaded question. It really comes into what you call the first wakeboard boat. People have been wakeboarding behind all types of boats and their marketing departing departments have been using wakeboard boat for just as much time. Shoot Bayliner's say they are a wakeboarding boats. If you go with a wakeboarding boat has a tower then Nautique was the first to patent the wakeboard tower back in 1997(?). If you want to go with the first V-drive towboat I think it was the Cenrution Falcon back in 1986.

slipperyrockTKE300
03-15-2015, 03:44 PM
really? Bayliner claims to be a wakeboarding boat??

That's a hoot! :)

moombadaze
03-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Bayliner made the wake challenger-just a v drive, no tower or ballast if my memory is correct

boardman74
03-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Yep they did. Made 3 models a 20V(2080), 21 DD(2087) and a 22V(2280). First ski boat I owned was actually a 1997 Bayliner Ski Challenger 2087. It was a 21 foot DD. Word was it was the same running surface as the MasterCraft 205(first gen Xstar). Produced a very nice wake with some weight. Paid $22K for it brand new in 98 pretty well loaded. Quality was really poor and had a lot of issue. But quality was also a lot different back then. Amazing what prices have done since then.

Yep no ballast no tower, but that was how most were in that era. Very few towers and factory ballast didn't come alone till a few years later. Fat sacs and pumps were just hitting the scene.

evoimport6
03-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Pretty sure centurion was the first wake boarding boat that had a plumbed in ballast system.

MLA
03-15-2015, 08:47 PM
lets define "wakeboard boat" as one that is non-direct drive and one with internal ballast on both sides of the rear hull.

And how popular did skurfing really become? I'd say not much - at least not in Florida. I have never seen anyone do it, talk about it or promote it.

Id say first wake boat was one with a factory tower. If you look back through the evolution of tow boats, you will find that V-drives and ballast existed before manufactures took a long hard look at hull design for a wake-board wake, but wake-boarding was well underway. Going from DD to V, was more about appealing to bow rider/run-about family crowd. Hard core DD ski boats where not as friendly to those spending a long day on the water. But, their drive configuration had less impact on wake, then the hull design.

beat taco
03-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Centurion Wave 1995.

trayson
03-16-2015, 01:32 PM
For Skiers choice, it was the Launch in 1999. They of course call it the "first boat designed specifically for wakeboarding" but the Centurion Wave certainly predates it (even though it was a joke of a design).

Innovations and Awards
•1981- Introduction of the Supra Sport, the first Supra boat. Development of the adjustable wake plate. Introduction of a rear ski locker.
•1982- The new Supra Beast model is the first boat to have a big block engine. Supra Allegro was also introduced. First cuddy cabin inboard ski boat.
•1983- Introduction of the Supra Rider. First open bow inboard in the industry, features a playpen bow design.
•1984- Introduction of the Comp ts6m model. Development of the SupraTrac hull design. Supra boats feature Kevlar in hull design.
•1985- The Supra Comp awarded “Ski Boat of the Year” by Powerboat magazine. Introduction of the Supra Sunsport.
•1986- Comp ts6m pulls the World Cup.
•1987-1989 Supra boats tow the World Waterski Championships.
•1987-1988 Comp ts6m wins “Ski Boat of the Year.”
•1989- Moomba brand developed by Supra Sports, Inc.
•1989- Mariah is the first open bow model to win “Ski Boat of the Year.”
•1990- Sunsport wins “Ski Boat of the Year.”
•1992- Developed all-fiberglass construction in several models. Introduced a limited lifetime warranty on all models.
•1994- First year for fuel injected engines.
•1997- Introduction of the all new Moomba Outback
•1998- Introduction of the newly redesigned Supra Comp; introduction of the tower for wakeboarding
•1999- Introduction of the Supra “Launch,” the first boat designed specifically for wakeboarding. The first Supra featuring a V-drive, the Santera, is introduced.
•2000- Supra and Moomba are selected as Official Towboats of the America's Cup.
•2001- Introduction of five new models including the Supra Launch SSV and Supra Sunsport V, both featuring stadium seating. Introduction of double up seating.
•2002- Introduction of the walk-through transom in the Supra Santera. Supra and Moomba are selected as Official Towboats of the 2002 Gravity Games competition.
•2003- Supra and Moomba are selected as Offical Towboats of the 2003 Gravity Games competition. Skier’s Choice moves to new 142,000 square foot facility located in Maryville, Tennessee.
•2004- Supra continues its sponsorship of the Gravity Games competition held in Cleveland, Ohio, beginning September 15th.
•2007- Moomba and Indmar introduce the first catalyzed engine in the tournament boat segnment, the 5.7L 340HP MPI ETX-CAT. The first-of-its-kind marine engine that dramatically reduces harmful carbon emissions without sacrificing power.
•2007- Supra becomes the exclusive towboat of the WWA World Wakeboard Championship.
•2009- Supra and Moomba both achieve a record 4th straight NNMA CSI awawrd for outstanding customer service
•2009- Supra becomes the official towboat of BroStock

trayson
03-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Centurion Wave 1995.

I think this one has the most possibility of being right...

First Watersport Specific Boat - The Wave

Centurion remained at the industry forefront with the development of the first towboat specifically designed for wakeboarding and wake-surfing. Called the WAVE, it had an elevated rope anchor point, built-in water ballast system to increase wake size, giant aft storage lockers, and a huge launch platform. One of the criteria insisted on by the Centurion engineering and test teams were that you could surf behind the boat. After testing, it was found that the wakes were good enough to hold the first World WakeSurfing Championship that same year.

But look at that platform!!!

http://www.centurionboats.com/assets/templates/web2011/images/history_images/history_img_1995.png

zabooda
03-17-2015, 12:21 AM
The 1998 Mobius came with a wake board tower but the hull was the DD Outback. It didn't have the characteristics of what we expect for a wake board boat except for the tower and wake board racks. Back then, it was probably exceptable for wake boarding. I bought it in 2002 as a ski boat. I did have to tell people what the roll bar was for.

uniwarking
03-17-2015, 07:58 AM
I would go with the wave as well as one of, if not the first, "wakeboard boats." I would define a modern wake boat as a boat with a tower, speed control, specific hull tuning and other wake enhancing features such as ballast.

With that said, I have to laugh at what some folks say about non wakeboard boats... on this thread and many others on the forum. My last boat was an 07 Bayliner 185. It had a factory option tower but I opted for an aftermarket Monster tower. That boat threw a decent wake... sure it's not as big as the Mojo by any means and it certainly is easier to maintain speed with the cruise and a much heavier boat. I don't like to see people hate on Bayliner any more than I like to see elitist wake boat owners hate on Moomba. My Bayliner was about 1/4 the price of my Mojo, had ZERO warranty issues over the 7 years we owned it and provided for years of fantastic memories. Not saying I'd ever go back though ;)

Point is, there are people that are probably better behind pontoons and outboards than the majority of us on the forum are behind our true "wake boats." I'm not anywhere near decent status that's for sure... and I've more or less moved on to my new love of wake surfing!

jmvotto
03-17-2015, 08:55 AM

http://www.centurionboats.com/assets/templates/web2011/images/history_images/history_img_1995.png

platform is sweeeeet!!!!

still gotta go with first v drive, DD with ballast = v drive wake :confused:

trayson
03-17-2015, 11:44 AM
I would go with the wave as well as one of, if not the first, "wakeboard boats." I would define a modern wake boat as a boat with a tower, speed control, specific hull tuning and other wake enhancing features such as ballast.

With that said, I have to laugh at what some folks say about non wakeboard boats... on this thread and many others on the forum. My last boat was an 07 Bayliner 185. It had a factory option tower but I opted for an aftermarket Monster tower. That boat threw a decent wake... sure it's not as big as the Mojo by any means and it certainly is easier to maintain speed with the cruise and a much heavier boat. I don't like to see people hate on Bayliner any more than I like to see elitist wake boat owners hate on Moomba. My Bayliner was about 1/4 the price of my Mojo, had ZERO warranty issues over the 7 years we owned it and provided for years of fantastic memories. Not saying I'd ever go back though ;)

Point is, there are people that are probably better behind pontoons and outboards than the majority of us on the forum are behind our true "wake boats." I'm not anywhere near decent status that's for sure... and I've more or less moved on to my new love of wake surfing!

I started wakeboarding in 1996, so not too long after it really started taking off. I was lucky enough to have a roommate that had an MB Sports Boss 200 direct drive. I bought him a Skylon extended pylon because towers hadn't been invented yet. From there we graduated to a 2000 Sport Nautique. So I've been fortunate enough to spend most my riding time behind direct drive or V-drive boats.

I've wakeboarded behind a few bayliners and similar I/O's. In my opinion, the reason why people hate on them is because they put out a less than desireable wake.

As far as my skill level, I'm okay. I can wake-to-wake behind anything all day long. I can throw some grabs and 180's and go big enough to land well into the flats. I don't do inverts. So, I'm okay compared to the average boater, but nothing compared to some of the serious guys I've ridden with.

That said, the I/O's throw a wave that is sharper and more abrupt. It doesn't have a smooth progressive ramp like a tournament boat hull will produce. When I go for air off an I/O, it launches me UP, rather than up and out. I don't like it. Likewise an I/O doesn't put out a good slalom wake. (not that I'm a great slalom skier by any stretch! But I can deep water start and zip around behind the boat and cut enough to throw up some fun rooster tails).

Now, is it better to be on an I/O than not go out at all? Sure. But my first boat was under $10k (1992 Supra Sunsport DD with ballast, tower, racks, etc) and it flat out was NOT an option for me to get an I/O. And obviously the inability to surf is another huge reason an I/O was out of the question.

If I found an I/O that honestly put out as good of wake as the tournament boats I've ridden behind, I'd be fine with riding it. But I haven't yet and that's why I don't endorse them. Like I said, I'm FAR from God's gift to wakeboarding, but to be fair, I am good enough that I can most certainly tell the difference in wake and have it absolutely make a difference.

uniwarking
03-17-2015, 02:08 PM
All good points Trayson, I certainly won't argue that wake boats produce a better wake. I will say that not all I/O wakes are equal. My old boat put out a decent wake for boarding and a pretty smooth table top for skiing... The Mojo's not the greatest for skiing but we still do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
03-17-2015, 02:20 PM
All good points Trayson, I certainly won't argue that wake boats produce a better wake. I will say that not all I/O wakes are equal. My old boat put out a decent wake for boarding and a pretty smooth table top for skiing... The Mojo's not the greatest for skiing but we still do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything's a compromise. My ballast system was so slow to drain last year in my XLV that I left 650 in the center and slalom skied because we had flat water!

viking
03-18-2015, 09:27 PM

Looks like a para-sailing boat platform :)