PDA

View Full Version : Engine compartment Key

trayson
03-11-2015, 01:41 PM
so is the key for the engine compartment the same for all of our boats or is it different from boat to boat?

Any insight on getting a replacement key?

mmandley
03-11-2015, 04:36 PM
so is the key for the engine compartment the same for all of our boats or is it different from boat to boat?

Any insight on getting a replacement key?

I have to assume its different, but like any type of key like these, they are going to be limited to a certain amount of numbers. Are you actually thinking that it will stop someone from getting in your engine compartment?

I refuse to lock mine, more damage will happen by trying to keep someone out then just leaving it unlocked.

To break in all you do is grab the center of the engine door and pull up. Doesn't take much force but it breaks the interior panel and that's pricey to replace. So I leave mine unlocked.

Nothing in the engine bay is worth what I have in my stereo, and there is NO lock on the observers door.

trayson
03-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Brain_Rinse has done a mod where they put pins through the aluminum frame and mounted a Bimini strap loop on the bottom edge of the doors to the lockers.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?8354-my-08-LSV-mods&p=76108#post76108

Yes, you're right, they aren't going to keep anyone out that's determined to get in. It would only be there to deter someone that might give a quick tug on the rear lockers to see if they're unlocked and easy pickings...

mmandley
03-11-2015, 05:48 PM
You asked about the Engine Bay.

Not the rear Lockers.

The locks on the Rear Lockers I think is a good Idea.

But just the same with the engine bay, You have to be on top of the swim deck or in the boat to open this door. At that point locking it, locking V drive doors is a mute point.

Now if you want to switch gears and talk about locking V drive doors using a sliding lock mechanism then YES i think its a good idea. Not only does it keep them closed going down the road. <never had one open> It does stop the normal jack wadd from walking by and opening a V drive door and look for an easy theft.

trayson
03-11-2015, 06:08 PM
You asked about the Engine Bay.

Not the rear Lockers.

The locks on the Rear Lockers I think is a good Idea.

But just the same with the engine bay, You have to be on top of the swim deck or in the boat to open this door. At that point locking it, locking V drive doors is a mute point.

Now if you want to switch gears and talk about locking V drive doors using a sliding lock mechanism then YES i think its a good idea. Not only does it keep them closed going down the road. <never had one open> It does stop the normal jack wadd from walking by and opening a V drive door and look for an easy theft.

For me to use Brain_Rinse's plan, then locking the engine enables restricted access to the sliding pins that would "lock" the v-drive lockers.

No, I didn't disclose my plan in my first post. but that doesn't invalidate my question: Where to find a key to the engine compartment locker?

I agree, locking the engine compartment is pointless, but since it is a prerequisite for my plan to ultimately lock the rear storage lockers, that's why I'm interested.

nitrodude24
03-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Just remove the assembly and take it to a locksmith, they will have you a key in a few minutes and probably a few bucks. I do this all the time more reasonable than you think normally cost about 20-25 bucks.

brain_rinse
03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Good luck with the locking rear storage. There was a little more detail in this thread but looks like all the pics are gone: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?9096-Locking-rear-storage-*pics*
If I were to do it again I'd try to find a bracket this rather than the bimini loop:
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-m2/gas-spring-angle-bracket-11800-6019735.jpg

kaneboats
03-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Try your glove box key. I think they are the same.

trayson
03-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Try your glove box key. I think they are the same.

Does anyone know where I can find a spare glove box key?

trayson
03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Good luck with the locking rear storage. There was a little more detail in this thread but looks like all the pics are gone: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?9096-Locking-rear-storage-*pics*
If I were to do it again I'd try to find a bracket this rather than the bimini loop:
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-m2/gas-spring-angle-bracket-11800-6019735.jpg

that would be easy enough to find. Or just buy some aluminum angle stock and drill a few holes...

deerfield
03-12-2015, 07:55 PM
No engine compartment or rear storage locks on my 2007 Outback. Was it an option on your boats?

mmandley
03-12-2015, 08:06 PM
My 08 had, and my 13 HAS a lock on the Engine door handle.

V drive locks was a MOD that got done

DOCDRS
03-12-2015, 10:54 PM
I just use the valet key that came with the boat

bergermaister
03-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Where are you leaving the boat unattended long enough that someone would have an opportunity to help themselves to the locker?

trayson
03-13-2015, 01:05 AM
Where are you leaving the boat unattended long enough that someone would have an opportunity to help themselves to the locker?

Well, in the Supra we did a trip to Lake Billy and stayed at the Best Western, so the boat had to sit in the gravel lot behind the hotel overnight. I'll admit there have been times where now that I have a v-drive that I've left boards in the rear lockers with the boat parked in my RV parking. There are times when I trailer the boat to work and park it in the work parking lot while I'm in the building. Admittedly we have a security guard, but it's still somewhat 'unattended'.

bergermaister
03-13-2015, 01:32 AM
Whatever you do make sure to lock that sucker down tight at the Prineville moorage. Crazy chit happens around there at night. Mostly on Labor Day Weekend. So I've heard...

mmandley
03-13-2015, 02:37 AM
Whatever you do make sure to lock that sucker down tight at the Prineville moorage. Crazy chit happens around there at night. Mostly on Labor Day Weekend. So I've heard...

Yea people and there Zip Tie fetishes...

newty
03-13-2015, 03:30 AM
Snicker snicker... It wasn't night time.