PDA

View Full Version : A tower for an anniversary gift?

silverski
05-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Bought an 05 Outback LSV last year (no tower). At that time, I had only mild interest in wakeboarding, but after a year I enjoy it quite a bit. Either that our I'm getting fat and lazy and burn out too fast on a slalom ski.

This weekend the Mrs. says, "How bought I(me) buy you a tower for our 10th anniversary this summer?" Let it be known she wants diamonds.

Damn, I thought, can't pass this deal up. So now I'm trying to figure out what this would take. Searched through old posts and found someone measured the folded height of the tower to be 7 feet. Anyone disagree? I know I have to fold the mirror down to get in the garage, so there is not much clearance left.

Also, have people had experiences getting a tower added afterwards? Dealers been good at it? Timeliness? Approximate cost? Different tower for 06? Warranty issues for gel coat?

Thanks for your help.

smokedog2
05-22-2006, 03:49 PM
If I were going to pay to add one (I have that boat) I would see if a Supra tower would fit. The $ to add any SC tower would be about the same but the integrated light etc. of Supra are very nice. You may find the price spread little to nothing. I would not put an aftermarket tower on a boat that new but they are significantly less expensive than the SC model.

futuredeadguy
05-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Silv

I have an '05 Mobius with stock tower.

I personally like the design of the '05 stock tower over the thicker '06 models. The main reason is that there are 6 attach points to the hull on the older model rather than 4 on the new one. My guess is that the '06 Mobius hull thickness was probably beefed up at the attach points to absorb the added stress of the new tower.

A major stress on a tower/boat is the compression on the rear tower attach points under load. The older design distributes that compressive stress to four points rather than the new tower's two points. Plus, it's designed specifically for your 20'-8" Moomba hull.

Yes, I DO think the new thicker Mobius tower looks better than the old, but the old one will put less stress on the hull through better distrbution of forces - simple physics. The older Mobius tower appears to be the same as the one offered on the '06 Outback based on photos on the website.

On the other hand, people bolt aftermarket towers to boats that weren't intended for them all the time. You could probably put anything on it if you wanted to with no short term problems. But as long as your wife is offering, why not do the right thing?

Bad thing is, that translates to DIAMONDS, too.

DEAD

Nafplio
05-23-2006, 12:57 PM
My tower folded down is bellow the mirror and just above the windshield height. Have you looked at a leftover '05 LSV? You'll get the tower, ballast, and the price difference may not be that much.