PDA

View Full Version : Would it look weird if...

BrettLee3232
03-06-2015, 02:39 AM
I had Brittany Blue Tower cans with black grills & in the boat I had Brittany Blue grills?

Or should all my grills be matching?

Or I might do all white grills all around...

mmandley
03-06-2015, 08:31 AM
IMO blue cans with Black grills would look great, I personally would not paint the inside cabin grills. Thats just me.

Also Blue Towers with White grills would really pop, but for me with you having Black Tower and Black accent line on your boat, I would stick to Black accents.

For my I would leave the Towers Black, Get the Black Grills, and leave the Cabins Black.

I personally like tower speakers that match my tower.

Although my boat tower is White I have not gone to White tower speakers, this is more due to I sell my towers ever year to 2 years and keeping them black makes it easy to resale them.

MLA
03-06-2015, 08:31 AM
I think the contrast can look good on the tower. How much blue is in the interior? blue interior grills could take it from one end of the spectrum to the other.

sivs1
03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
So this year I am going to paint my white tower cans yellow to match the yellow accent on my boat. I will keep the white grills as my boat is Blue, Yellow and White. Not sure how it will look, but thought it would make the cans pop.

kaneboats
03-06-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking about going camo.

sandm
03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
I would recommend you scrap the whole project, immediately box up the offensive speakers that will detract from the overall state of the boat and send them to my attn.

I will ensure they are taken care of and never become a color distraction again..

David Analog
03-06-2015, 12:31 PM
I like the tower scheme. But solid blue grills in the boat would be too much IMO. However, 1/8" acrylic accent rings behind the grills and extending with an extra 1/8" radius look great....especially since any blue piping in seats or boat interior is about that same diameter. This keeps more of a consistent scheme top and bottom. I've done this exact trim package many times.

I received your PM as I signed in today. I do not know the exact powdercoat designation off the top of my head that corresponds to Brittany Blue. But I have also used this powder countless times.

Blue is the hardest powder color to match dead on. Once you find the correct color balance you may find you are just a shade off when comparing a sample card to the hull. However, once the pods and hull are separated by several feet that minor difference totally disappears.

Btw, a clear powdercoat lightens up the color just the smallest shade, makes the pods absolutely POP and protects against oxidation. Blue is color-stable so its not a requirement but when the budget was there it is impressive.

BrettLee3232
03-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks everyone, it's so hard to make a decision lol. I might paint 2 spare grills blue just to see how they look in the cabin. Same with 2 black. Just to get a perspective on it.

Now I just need to find a damn blue powder coat color!!!!!

David Analog
03-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Every powdercoater has sample cards.
There are many Moomba/Supra boat dealers that powdercoat the tower to match the hull.
There are not that many 'blue' colors in powder to choose from.
Shouldn't be hard.
Although I am not familiar with a 'damn blue' powder.

wolfeman131
03-06-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking about going camo.

Don't you mean "commando?"

bergermaister
03-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Thanks everyone, it's so hard to make a decision lol. I might paint 2 spare grills blue just to see how they look in the cabin. Same with 2 black. Just to get a perspective on it.

Photoshop is your friend...

BrettLee3232
03-07-2015, 02:36 AM
There are not that many 'blue' colors in powder to choose from.
Shouldn't be hard.
Although I am not familiar with a 'damn blue' powder.

I stopped by a powder shop and he had a $hit load of blue to choose from...I didn't see "damn blue" though. I'm gonna take some samples to match next weekend.

Good call!

jmvotto
03-07-2015, 09:50 AM

If not send photos to berg, I am volunteering his photoshop skills, to give you perspective.

Jason05216
03-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Is powder coating better than painting? I've got the same blue hull and am thinking of doing mine but wasn't sure. I was thinking of trying to paint with the model paint like Ian did but am leery of making a mess of it.

David Analog
03-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Is powder coating better than painting? I've got the same blue hull and am thinking of doing mine but wasn't sure. I was thinking of trying to paint with the model paint like Ian did but am leery of making a mess of it.

If you have aluminum pods then powdercoating is much better. Extremely tough or TUFF.
But if you have plastic pods then powdercoating is not an option.
Painting plastic pods is fine. Wetsounds paints all their pods, color over color, because the paint can be made to be more UV resistant and color stable than an injection molded pod.

bergermaister
03-10-2015, 01:20 PM
If not send photos to berg, I am volunteering his photoshop skills, to give you perspective.

So helpful... I've actually painted our house about 10 different colors on the screen before a single gallon was purchased.

trayson
03-12-2015, 12:04 PM
So helpful... I've actually painted our house about 10 different colors on the screen before a single gallon was purchased.

Now if you could only actually paint our house from work using your work PC.