PDA

View Full Version : Moomba XLV prop: Acme 537 (13.5x16) vs. OJ 466 (14.25x14)

trayson
03-05-2015, 12:44 PM
So, after a few months, IrishRacing who sold me my 2008 XLV finally shipped me the extra prop that was to be included in the sale.

The current prop is the Acme 537 (13.5x16).

The Spare prop is the OJ 466 (14.25x14).

Can someone give me insight into one vs the other? I'm really happy so far with the 537 so I'm not inclined to make any changes, but I'd like to know how the other prop would perform relative to this one. I'm a NEWB when it comes to props so hopefully someone can give me some insight.

Here's the spare prop:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Be5UkVnLQ84/VPemdY316aI/AAAAAAAAYJk/e7RZHTeO5p4/s800/20150304_164138.jpg

kaneboats
03-05-2015, 01:16 PM
I run the 537 (actually the 1161, which is the same prop with slightly different cupping). Run about 1550 ballast plus a full crew no problems and smooth as silk. Still fast enough to ski and cruise too. Love it.

trayson
03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I run the 537 (actually the 1161, which is the same prop with slightly different cupping). Run about 1550 ballast plus a full crew no problems and smooth as silk. Still fast enough to ski and cruise too. Love it.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy thusfar with the 537. I'm guessing that the OJ 466 is what he upgraded from. But I'd still like to educate myself on how the two compare.

DOCDRS
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
If you want to educate yourself start doing some searches. There have been some great prop comparisons done a few years ago on here with charts ballast speeds hole shot rpms these guys took a lot of time swapping props to give non biased opinions and data. Max wot is important under loaded conditions so as to not be over propped your rev limiter will kick in if you are under propped. Trailer clearance is also another issue sometimes overlooked. You'll find that just about everything you want to know or do has already been done and can be found using the search function

sandm
03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
thought most of that data disappeared with a former member.

having had both acme and oj, keep the acme if you like the performance and save the oj for a spare. too many issues of the growl with oj.

DOCDRS
03-05-2015, 02:17 PM
But you are right the 466 is oem. Load your ballast full with 6-8 people in the boat ortho number you usu run with ,then run the boat wot. If you reach max rpm guidelines you are properly propped. If you don't reach max rpm the you are over propped. If the rev limiter kicks in your under propped but it won't with that prop as it is probably the best speed cruising ecomical and moderate ballast prop. If you start going over 3000lbs of ballast regularly the you need to check rpms max so you don't overload your engine

trayson
03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
If you want to educate yourself start doing some searches. There have been some great prop comparisons done a few years ago on here with charts ballast speeds hole shot rpms these guys took a lot of time swapping props to give non biased opinions and data. Max wot is important under loaded conditions so as to not be over propped your rev limiter will kick in if you are under propped. Trailer clearance is also another issue sometimes overlooked. You'll find that just about everything you want to know or do has already been done and can be found using the search function

Sorry man, I really don't have the desire to become a prop expert. I figured that someone might have the knowledge that they were willing to share on an area that I'm weak on. There are so many facets to props: blades, diameters, pitch, etc. I consider myself fairly well educated (CPA/MBA) but I never really got all the facets of props.

Didn't think it'd hurt to see what someone that already knows their stuff would say off the top of their head on A vs B. I've certainly put in my share of sharing knowledge and helping people around here.

I get where you're coming from, but I have been around the internet long enough to know how to STFA.

I hope this place doesn't turn into that other skiers choice forum that I spend a lot less time at now.

trayson
03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
But you are right the 466 is oem. Load your ballast full with 6-8 people in the boat ortho number you usu run with ,then run the boat wot. If you reach max rpm guidelines you are properly propped. If you don't reach max rpm the you are over propped. If the rev limiter kicks in your under propped but it won't with that prop as it is probably the best speed cruising ecomical and moderate ballast prop. If you start going over 3000lbs of ballast regularly the you need to check rpms max so you don't overload your engine

Thanks man! That's the kind of insight that's helpful. I appreciate it!

trayson
03-05-2015, 02:25 PM
But you are right the 466 is oem.

And specifically confirming THIS. That was my suspicion all along. But I didn't know what prop came on my boat. It's very common to change props to something that's more tailored to ballasted towing.

I'm honestly happy with my current prop, so I really have no reason to change. It's just nice to have a spare!!! And now to know that it's more of an "OEM" prop tells me a lot more about its character.

Thanks again. That's basically what I was looking for. More of a "character assessment".

trayson
03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
thought most of that data disappeared with a former member.

I see what you did there....

No fair having Supra drama follow me to to Moomba!

jmvotto
03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
all you need to know...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15139-Prop-Test-Results-Part-2&highlight=prop+test

trayson
03-05-2015, 03:02 PM
all you need to know...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15139-Prop-Test-Results-Part-2&highlight=prop+test

Wow, thanks for the info. that's fantastic.

kaneboats
03-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Here's where you will end up: Sell your OJ. They work fine on other boats but not so great on these. Decide how much ballast you are going to run and get the correct ACME prop for the weight and activities you do most. Then, either run the 537 or keep that one for the backup.

trayson
03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
after reading that thread, it sounds like the 1847 or the 1617 would be the two frontrunners.

Gosh, before I posted this I didn't realize I "needed" a new prop!!! LOL.

I really don't know how much ballast I'll be running regularly. Probably around 2k surfing. Maybe 2500 tops. But I'm so happy with the decreased fuel consumption of the XLV vs. my Supra Sunsport that I don't want to kill that completely...

I guess I should finish my ballast system upgrade, run it for a little and go from there. I guess if I get a good offer on my OJ I could jump on that...

I'm glad I posted this thread. Gets me thinking about stuff.

viking
03-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Again.....here comes the members right on cue to help you spend some cash you didn't even realize you wanted to spend! :) gotta love it

parrothd
03-05-2015, 04:05 PM
2500lbs?!?! That's it? Thought you went with the aerator pumps cuz you were running a lot of ballast and needed fast fill times.. Lol..

mmandley
03-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Sorry I am late to your latest thread <snicker>

The 537 you run is a great prop as long as you keep the weight while Surfing to a respectable level, and I don't mean the numbers me and Russ run lol.

537 is the best really in your situation where you want to Water Ski and Wakeboard often, plus surf. Its a little harder on the prop surfing an XLV with anything more then 2500. You honestly will know when you reach the limits of a prop because you will cavitate.

Cavitation feels like the boat is actually slipping, or falling backwards when your cruising. You will hear little revs happen in the engine.

Your OJ prop is a traditional wake board prop and will do fine for your boat. Experience with this prop and others is you get whats most think of as vibration from 7-12mph but its its actually growling and its normal for this exact prop. I had this on my LSV and it was extremely irritating to me.

Before you make the jump to a 1617 or 1847 you will want to check your clearance between prop and boat, prop and trailer guard.

The issue you will have with both the 1617 and 1847 is increased fuel consumption when wake boarding, water skiing due to its lower end performance and less top end. If you want to cruise much over 20 mph you will be in the upper 3K range closer to 4K and thats serious fuel consumption.

This is one reason why you tend to see us slow cruise around the lake. The only time we are up at 20mph is if we are wake boarding or really need to get some place to find good water.

If you have been happy with your 537 then I suggest keep it on the boat, and keep your OJ as a spare.

I have the ACME version of the OJ you have if you wanted to see the difference in the growl.

Honestly though for you Trayson, your frequency of wake boarding and love of water skiing I would stick to the 537 until your surfing weights surpass it.

trayson
03-05-2015, 04:14 PM
2500lbs?!?! That's it? Thought you went with the aerator pumps cuz you were running a lot of ballast and needed fast fill times.. Lol..

1100 surfside locker.
1180 gravity bag center.

It's possible I'll add one of the stock 390's on the surfside seat to the mix.

No idea if I'll be running anything in the non-surfside locker.

I suppose for wakeboarding, I could run both 1100's and the 1180, so that would be over 3k. but I don't see myself needing that. My favorite wakeboard wake thus far has been with just 650 in the center, LOL. (not that I've really tried it with more.)

I'm running aerators because I wanna be like BERG!

parrothd
03-05-2015, 04:16 PM
I've had both the 1847 and the 1433, both are huge improvements over stock. I run a lot of ballast so I use the 1433, but according to nettles there isn't that much difference between the two prop, 1847 has a little more top end.

mmandley
03-05-2015, 04:22 PM
I've had both the 1847 and the 1433, both are huge improvements over stock. I run a lot of ballast so I use the 1433, but according to nettles there isn't that much difference between the two prop, 1847 has a little more top end.

Actually the other way around, 1847 has more low end then 1433 and less top end. This is why we ran the 1847 on the LSV because the 1433 is eventually the same as the OJ wake board prop that does all the growling. I needed more low end power for my surf weights.

trayson
03-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I needed more low end power for my surf weights.

'cause Mikey runs DEEP!

trayson
03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Sorry I am late to your latest thread <snicker>

The 537 you run is a great prop as long as you keep the weight while Surfing to a respectable level, and I don't mean the numbers me and Russ run lol.

537 is the best really in your situation where you want to Water Ski and Wakeboard often, plus surf. Its a little harder on the prop surfing an XLV with anything more then 2500. You honestly will know when you reach the limits of a prop because you will cavitate.

Cavitation feels like the boat is actually slipping, or falling backwards when your cruising. You will hear little revs happen in the engine.

Your OJ prop is a traditional wake board prop and will do fine for your boat. Experience with this prop and others is you get whats most think of as vibration from 7-12mph but its its actually growling and its normal for this exact prop. I had this on my LSV and it was extremely irritating to me.

Before you make the jump to a 1617 or 1847 you will want to check your clearance between prop and boat, prop and trailer guard.

The issue you will have with both the 1617 and 1847 is increased fuel consumption when wake boarding, water skiing due to its lower end performance and less top end. If you want to cruise much over 20 mph you will be in the upper 3K range closer to 4K and thats serious fuel consumption.

This is one reason why you tend to see us slow cruise around the lake. The only time we are up at 20mph is if we are wake boarding or really need to get some place to find good water.

If you have been happy with your 537 then I suggest keep it on the boat, and keep your OJ as a spare.

I have the ACME version of the OJ you have if you wanted to see the difference in the growl.

Honestly though for you Trayson, your frequency of wake boarding and love of water skiing I would stick to the 537 until your surfing weights surpass it.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't see myself surpassing 2500 pounds of ballast in the near term. I've been quite happy with the 537 thus far, so that's encouraging.

Since I ride in the river, it's very typical for us to have to motor 15 to 20 minutes to get to our normal ride spot. and we're most certainly going in the upper 20's or more.

I really don't ski *that* much, but when I do I'll be going 28 to 32mph. You saw me ski a fair share at Prineville because I'd literally just got a brand new ski and we had all that early morning butter AND I was really the only person in my boat playing IN the water. 4 people on the boat and all the watersports for me. Not a bad problem to have! LOL.

But yeah, I love surfing, wakeboarding, and skiing. Surfing tends to happen the most because we don't always get spoiled with smooth water and because skiing and wakeboarding tires me out so quick.

And it's money I didn't need to spend!!!

mmandley
03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
'cause Mikey runs DEEP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6d58HIe01A

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/and_you_know_this_man-s554x300-332126_zpsf3bgbubh.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/and_you_know_this_man-s554x300-332126_zpsf3bgbubh.jpg.html)

bergermaister
03-05-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm running aerators because I wanna be like BERG!

Better get an 1847 then. You know you want to be ridin dirty.

jmvotto
03-05-2015, 05:55 PM
if you get a new prop for the xlv Run the acme 1235, IMHO stay with the 537
spend more on beer, gas and toys....

trayson
03-05-2015, 06:02 PM
if you get a new prop for the xlv Run the acme 1235, IMHO stay with the 537
spend more on beer, gas and toys....

Sounds like a good plan. Until the 537 no longer meets my needs, then I'll continue to rock it.