PDA

View Full Version : So, I went to order the Flow for my OBV...

mikenehrkorn
03-03-2015, 04:54 PM
I reached out to my dealer to order the Flow for my OBV (which they quoted at $1060 parts and $340 labor back in Sept) and now they are saying the "upgraded" Flow kit is $2226 ($1886 parts and same $340 labor) because they have modified the platform to better fit with the Flow. Anyone else heard this??

I was able to find a few pics of a 2015 with the Flow and I can see that they carved off the corners of the platform nearest the stern probably to provide extra clearance??

viking
03-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Are you sure they are talking about the manual flow and didn't misunderstand you and quote AutoFlow? That seems excessively high.

mikenehrkorn
03-03-2015, 06:15 PM
I wish.....no, they were talking manual Flow because they even said the Flow itself is still $1060 but the rest of the kit is a new platform and/or brackets as shown in those pics.

jstenger
03-03-2015, 07:38 PM
This is MI-LSV's 2008 LSV.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/tapatalk_1425425420628.jpeg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/tapatalk_1425425420628.jpeg.html)

He has a similar platform as you. Notice how the plates hit the platform and are unable to reach the locked position. He had to order the new platform too.

BamaMojo
03-03-2015, 08:53 PM
I reached out to my dealer to order the Flow for my OBV (which they quoted at $1060 parts and $340 labor back in Sept) and now they are saying the "upgraded" Flow kit is $2226 ($1886 parts and same $340 labor) because they have modified the platform to better fit with the Flow. Anyone else heard this??

I was able to find a few pics of a 2015 with the Flow and I can see that they carved off the corners of the platform nearest the stern probably to provide extra clearance??

Who is your dealer?

2012 Mojo

parrothd
03-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Remove the handles, you can send me a check for $1000.. :cool:

ian ashton
03-03-2015, 10:14 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/03/d26e83c9ebda83f92df08e0c6e5ef903.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/03/e8f2502631897ab4d6dbae630772b903.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/03/896c78e3d7826f9bdf1baa2f6bb8a812.jpg

jstenger
03-03-2015, 10:38 PM

Ian, what day were you at the Grand Rapids show?

mikenehrkorn
03-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Who is your dealer?

2012 Mojo

Premier is my dealer which looks like the same dealer from Ian's pics. :(

mikenehrkorn
03-03-2015, 10:57 PM

Is that a 2015? If so, I'm really confused cause those pics I posted are a 2015. Why two different platforms??

jstenger
03-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Is that a 2015? If so, I'm really confused cause those pics I posted are a 2015. Why two different platforms??
All pics are the same 2015 orange OBV that Premier has. The different pic angle is throwing you off. I also posted a pic for you of the same boat in a different thread.

jstenger
03-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Here is the one I had.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/vp4113606_6_large.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/vp4113606_6_large.jpg.html)

jstenger
03-03-2015, 11:10 PM
A couple guys on here have made there own custom platforms. You might wan't to think about it. It will save you some money.

viking
03-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Either way seems like a lot of work. I like Parrothd's idea. Why don't they just cut the handle down instead of a whole new platform?

jstenger
03-03-2015, 11:16 PM
I think it is the actual blade, not the handle.

mikenehrkorn
03-03-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm liking parrothd's idea too or maybe take off the long handle and just use a single knob instead which looks like it would be fine even on jstenger's pic.

parrothd
03-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Or buy some 2x2 teek wood or plastic and raise the platform up, will also keep the platform from cutting into the wave. There's probably 12 screws holding the platform to the brackets, just get longer ones and sandwich in the spacer..

trayson
03-04-2015, 01:19 AM
A couple guys on here have made there own custom platforms. You might wan't to think about it. It will save you some money.

I am one of the people that made my own platform. I did it to keep my platform from cutting into my surf wave. Yes, it would most certainly give you the clearance you need for the Flow.

The OEM surf platforms end up costing around $1000 once you add all the bells and whistles to them, so that's your markup. Basically they are saying you can't have flow with your OEM platform.

I kinda see where they're coming from. Yeah, there's a clearance issue to be remedied for sure. There are many ways of approaching this, and ONE is getting a surf platform. Which in and of itself is not a BAD thing. The surf platform will gain you the benefits I just talked about (not having your platform cut into your wave and rob you of push). but it's a VERY expensive upgrade if they force you to go the OEM route.

Here's my custom surf platform on my XLV:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eQA4gdfebvw/VE8KH-BnaQI/AAAAAAAAUvc/j9vbf8ybNac/s800/20141027_201307.jpg

Boonejeepin made his custom platform even narrower, like 48" but that was too narrow for me. Mine does the job but leaves more area.

Mine is 3/4" black HDPE with hydroturf adhered to it with contact cement. I have it spaced with 1/2" HDPE to put it about the same height as the OEM platform. And yes, 6 screws per platform bracket that were reused.

Outback Skid
03-04-2015, 07:25 AM
I got a quote from both Cincinnati and Knoxville and both were right around $2k for installed Flow.

ian ashton
03-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Ian, what day were you at the Grand Rapids show?

Friday during the day. Met my dad and niece there - was a great show!

mikenehrkorn
03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
I reached out to Atlanta Marine (based on the good things that everybody says about them here on the forum) and they are saying the same thing as Premier in MI with an almost identical price quote. I'm still trying to figure out whether not getting the new platform is even an option anymore, but will report back what I find.

Sigh.....I finally talked the boss into the Flow at $1400 but if I have to pony up another $825+ then it's going to take quite a bit more convincing. :( Guess I better get to work on that ghetto gate after all....

jmvotto
03-05-2015, 10:58 AM
I reached out to Atlanta Marine (based on the good things that everybody says about them here on the forum) and they are saying the same thing as Premier in MI with an almost identical price quote. I'm still trying to figure out whether not getting the new platform is even an option anymore, but will report back what I find.

Sigh.....I finally talked the boss into the Flow at $1400 but if I have to pony up another $825+ then it's going to take quite a bit more convincing. :( Guess I better get to work on that ghetto gate after all....

Good news on that its only 40.00 in materials and two beers worth of labor:p

mikenehrkorn
03-05-2015, 11:43 AM
I would have gone the ghetto gate direction initially without any thought on the Flow if those things weren't so big and difficult to store in the boat. I might need to come up with a design on hinges that I can somehow break down for easier storage. And it doesn't help that I will need a gate for each side since the most important rider in the boat rides goofy!! :)

Sinjun
03-22-2015, 07:01 PM
It looks like you just need a little more room between the boat and the platform. Take the screws out of platform brackets seal them with 5200 pull platform away from boat, far enough that the flow will clear, redrill for 5200 screws and done.

rmk818
05-18-2015, 03:33 PM
I just got done building a ghetto gate from a design created by Wake Shaper and others. I used a a triangle gate hinge that you can rotate (The hinge is held to the gate with a 3/4 inch lag bolt) and twist knobs for additional strength. You adjust for one side and if needed on the other side, you flip and rotate the gate to match the angle of that side. The gate is held tight; wedged between the platform and the transom with an truss bracket that keeps it from tilting. Taking it out to the water to test it out. The entire thing folds up to 3 inches thick and 19 inches long. Only one Gate- Two sides....

mikenehrkorn
05-18-2015, 03:42 PM
That sounds awesome....mind sharing that design?

rmk818
05-19-2015, 11:50 PM
Couldn't get pictures to upload. Will start a new thread (RMK818-Single ghetto Gate) with pictures... but the instructions are below:

The issues I had were, the ski platform brackets were off centered (one closer to one side than the other). This made it a little challenging (lots of measuring).

Materials used:
All stainless steel fasteners (approx 30 dollars) had extras
---two 5/8 two inch carriage bolts (ss) These will need to be cut down to 1.5 inches.
---two 5/8 flat washers (ss)
---two 5/8inch locking castle nuts (ss)
---three # 12 by 5/16 inch screws (ss)
---eight #6 by 1/2 inch screws (ss)
---eight # 10 by 5/16 inch screws (ss)
---eight #10 lock washers (ss)
---one #6 by 1.5 inch bolt with locking castle nut (ss)
---four 5/16 by 3/8 inch thread inserts
---three 5/16 knobs
---one clip pin
Two caster wheels (5 dollars)
Two truss brackets (2 dollars)
One walking cane (Walmart - 12 dollars)
3/4 inch HDPE (bought more than I needed - 24x48 sheet cost 91 dollars shipped) only used half.
a Stanley Gate Hinge (largest one I could find at hardware store) 8 dollars

Transom board: Cut 9 x 20 inches (rounded boat side edges with roundover router bit) a notch cut out is used to wrap around the ski platform bracket. The entire back plate (transom board) is centered off of notch cut out). My cut out was 3 x 5 and 7/8 inches. I drew a line all the way across so I could line up everything to include the gate. Hinge is mounted with 5/8 inch x 2 inch carriage bolt (carriage bolt is recessed into boat side of plate slightly under flush to prevent scratching) and on centerline with hinge pin extending past the outer edge of transom board ( I aligned the inside of the hinge pin with the outside edge of the transom board).
1) Mark center hinge hole and prepare to drill for carriage bolt
Caution.. Use a small diameter bit (pilot hole) and go all the way through. This will make sense in a minute
2) Flip the transom board over and use a spade bit larger than the head of the carriage bolt (7/8) and drill a recessed hole just a little deeper than the head of the carriage bolt. Once complete, then drill the 5/8 inch hole all the way through and place the carriage bolt in place ( I had to hammer it in). This bolt head must be just below the surface of the boat side to prevent scratching your boat.
3) Once hinge is placed and bolted (center only) and alligned with the centerline, mark and drill out the rear center hole about half way through (I used a slightly smaller than 5/16 bit and then tapped/threaded the hole for a 5/6 inch screw knob, If the hole is slightly smaller that is ok (if you don't have a tap this is the preferred method, the threads of the knob will cut the threads and keep it tight.
4) Rotate hinge + 23 degrees upward and mark hinge holes, rotate hinge - 23 degrees from centerline and mark hinge holes
-Note- Do not drill holes out yet (you must make sure that the gate is aligned with the side angle of the boat (for both sides)
5) Insert transom board between boat transom and ski platform.
6) Attach truss plate by placing it between the transom board and platform, resting on top of the outer inside corner of the ski platform (this bracket prevents the transom board from slipping downward on the side of the gate). Make sure the transom board has not slipped down and that it is level (may not be exact) Mark the top of the truss on the transom board and remove transom board from boat. Place the truss plate back on aligned with the mark you previously made and attach using the # 6 screws. Flip the board upside down and repeat for the other side.
7) Attach gate to transom board hinge (align the centerlines off of the transom board and the gate). Attach the gate making sure that the outer transom board hinge pin is on the outer edge of the gate (you should have a gap that is the width of the hinge pin.
Once gate is installed on transom board, dry fit to check alignment and angle of gate in relation to the sides of your boat. Only when you are satisfied with the angles of the attached gate, drill your holes or remark holes and drill (forward hinge holes only). Caution.. Use a small diameter bit (pilot hole) and go all the way through.
8) Turn the transom board over and countersink (use a 7/8 spade bit to recess threads on boat side of transom board). Countersink about 1/8 inch deep). Once complete, drill 5/16 inch hole to insert threads from boat side. Heat up threads (this will melt the HDPE around the threads) and press in so the threads are slightly deeper than than the back of the board. Drill the rear holes out the same way you drilled the rear centerline hole (slightly smaller than a 5/16 hole and tap/thread).
9) Attach caster wheel (with wheel removed) frame to the transom board (2 inches centered and on centerline) using #10 screws

Gate: Cut 12 and 1/4 by 20 inches with center cut at 19 inches with a 25 degree inside miter cut
I cut a shallow V out to extend the edge in the water and allows for flipping the gate over to the other side and still keep 20 inches in the water
Remove wheel from the caster wheel and mount the caster wheel frame to the centerline of the gate (approx 2.5 inches from edge). This is used for your support brace. The hinge is hard fastened to the gate (will not rotate) with carriage bolt and # 12 screws on centerline. The hinge pin on leading edge

Brace: Cut cane handle off (length of cane should now be 16 and 1/4 inches long. Note: Make sure cane is fully extended before cutting handle off. Drill hole in both ends of can (perpendicular to the cane's push button) and approx 1/2 inch from ends. Attach fat (handle side) of cane to the Gate with #6 by 1.5 inch bolt with locking castle nut (ss). Attach smaller end to the transom board side with a clip pin

Note: I added a rope handle to the transom board to ease removing and handling (Two tapered holes (5/16 in upper outer corners) with a rope and knot. Place the rope through a washer tie a knot and tread through from the boat side and back through the other side with a washer and a knot. Make sure the washer is slips into the hole but does not pull through.

Operation: Adjust the hinge by removing knobs from center line position, and tighten down on angled side (threads you inserted). Insert gate to the side you want by sliding it between the platform and boat transom (watch to make sure your truss plates do not dig into your platform).
Make adjustments out of the water for the side you want. If more outward angle is needed on the gate, adjust by using the press button on the cane to extend the length of the brace (cane). This can be done in the water

To stow: Pull the pin on the transom board, close the brace (cane) and fold together