PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform staining upholstery

tallone31
05-21-2006, 08:48 PM
This season, whenever I step onto swim platform after a set of wakeboarding or whatever......and step onto the upholstery, black footprints appear. They won't wipe off with just water, but require soap and/or a cleaning agent. Obviously, this is coming from the swim platform.

Any suggestions on how to treat the platform?

tallone31
05-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh, I own an '05 Mobius LSV, if it matters!

smokedog2
05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Try Aero 303, we/I think it is oxidation. I have same boat - no problems

mcook77
05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
The only permanent solution that I know of would be to cover with gator grip, rhino lining, or Line X.

For a temporary solution, I have been scrubbing with simple green before starting the day and it helps immensely. Also - I cleaned the upholstery with Mr Clean and it worked great to remove the stains.

I think the problem is caused by the platform being exposed to the sun when not in use. Covering the platform when not in use would help greatly.

EUSTACE
05-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Spray Nine works well for cleaning IMO

http://www.spraynine.com/index.php?cPath=69&name=Marine+%2F+RV

Give Hydro Turf a look if you are considering replacing the pad

http://hydroturf.com/

good luck, E

Aubrey
05-29-2006, 08:35 AM
I sprayed mine with a lacquer clear coat. Seems to have sealed it...... no more black mess. It is also alot less work than stripping it and replacing with an alternate material. I got the idea from a previous post this winter, I can't remember who suggested it, but thanks for the tip.

Marlon

Smrtz
05-29-2006, 09:29 PM
We've had a few posts about this same topic. do a search thee is some good info on the board about it. I personally used a mild compound to take the top layer that is exposed to the sun off, then used a marine rubber and vynal conditioner that has a UV blocker in it. I have also tailored a simple fabric cover to keep it out of the sun because it is the root of this problem!

Cheers

YellowMoomba0
05-31-2006, 12:27 AM
I also used a Minwax Indoor/Outdoor spray lacquer from the local hardware store and it worked great. Got the idea from this forum somewhere. Did this on Friday afternoon. Boat was in water all Memorial day weekend and it has eliminated the black mess. Its not slippery etc. Takes about 3 hours to dry good. Dont apply in the wind or better yet take the platform off first.

jburnside
05-31-2006, 01:54 AM
I have owned 2 Moomba boats, an '03 and now we have an '05. Both of our boats had/have the same problem with the platform pad material. Our boat is stored in the garage and is never subjected to long periods of sun exposure so I'm not sure I can agree with all of the comments on this topic. What I will agree with is that if you regularly scrub the black pads with a cleaner it significantly reduces the transfer problem on the upholstery.

cobra219
05-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Has anyone brought this problem up with their dealer or any Moomba people?

Dave

Mtnoles
05-31-2006, 05:51 PM
YES. No one will return e-mails. I think they hope it will just go away.

Smrtz
06-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Just be patient... SC is really good at looking after us. We are all their best advertisments!! Chances are if they havent gotten back to you maybe they havent figured out a solution yet.

Cheers!

beckman2713
06-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for a swim platform cover?....I was going to measure and find something compatible in size at Wally World..like a barbecue grill cover or something..Thanks

JoeTechie
06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Would there be any interest in having some custom made ? My friend is looking for some side $. She offered to make me one for cost plus a ride or two. She says she can get good quality water repellant marine canvas in basic colors (black, grey, blue) and make a sinch cord at the base.

What would be a good price for these ?

Do a lot of you keep your boats outside?

Curious,

Joe

SiglooLSV
06-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Joe,
I would be interested if the price were reasonable. Not sure about price, maybe $25 to $40? How much does the material cost?

-Chris

JoeTechie
06-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow! The cheapy thin tops we use to cover the covers are $60 at WalMart. Those are made of shiney paper.

She was thinking ~$125, but we talked and it looks like she can do them for ~$95 if we get a few and stick to a single color. The swim platform is about 1/5 the size of the boat and those covers cost over $500 - so it makes sense.

This is heavy duty water resistant poly canvas - not cheap !

If no one wants this, then I won't put in the effort to go make patterns of all the boats. I thought it would be a cool thing to offer - like a rack jack - a little overlooked, but really convienient item for SC owners.

Maybe I'll just have mine made then everyone else can be jelous.

:wink:

-Joe

AZHeet
06-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Has anyone out there stripped their old one to install Gator Grip or another material? How'd you do it? I think I'll make that one of my winter projects.

JesseC
06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Has anyone out there stripped their old one to install Gator Grip or another material? How'd you do it? I think I'll make that one of my winter projects.

Stripping the old platform material is an absolute b@#ch! The older ones like mine that have the black "foam" pad instead of the hard pad come off in two pieces. The black foam comes off real easy, put it leaves a clear plastic this is glued to the platform with some type of bonding agent that was designed by Lucifer himself. I used gasoline to remove it, followed up with rubbing alcohol to reomve the oily surface left by the gas. I replaced mine with the same one that is on the 07 models. I have not seen the black marks since, but only time will tell.

toelke4286
06-18-2007, 08:46 AM
I asked my dealer here in SE MI for help on this many times with the same response, "Moomba has no fix" for my 03 Outback. I tried that 303 stuff this year, does not work for more than 1 or 2 outings. I keep my boat on a hoist, and the platform gets sun every night when the sun gets past what the canopy covers. What I found is using a scrub brush with some dish soap(lake friendly) before each use. A pain, but no black marks on white interior. I have even considered going to a Teak platform. 1 time a year work vs. every time out. I really wish Moomba would fix this.

i935
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I've got an '03 LSV with the same issue. I recently took a brillo pad to pull off some of the oxidized rubber. Helped for a day or two but the footprints came back. Has anyone tried coating the platform with some non-skid like used on windsurfers or sailboat decks?

NH Moomba
06-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Gator Grip is great Stripping the old material off was tough but worth the trouble. The Gator Grip cuts easily with a X=Acto blade if you do it with one smooth motion. If you can use one of those sewing cutting board things and a brand new blade , it looks like it was die cut. I traced my platform onto it and then offset the edge using a French Curve.

I have forgotten the story but I think the Gator Grip guy copied the idea so it is available from somebody else as well.

I used an adhesive remover from the local auto body supply store and it was still a chore.

vfrdude
08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
I just replaced the swim platform pad with Hydroturf product. This is Molded Diamond 40" x 62" with the 3M self adhesive (peel and stick) cost right at $100 with shipping and tax. I'm really going to have to take a better picture of the platform!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1185/1054521645_77c9348e35_o.jpg

The easiest way to get the old material off is to peel off the old material. The clear film that is left can be heated with a heat gun, and then peeled off with a plastic putty knife. The residue can be cleaned up with acetone. Acetone will not hurt the Gel coat.

I tried adhesive remover, but it was a slow process, and I had accidently left it on too long, and it lifted some of the gel coat. I had spent over 6 hours on it, and I still had about half of the old adhesive still to remove. I gave myself another days work repairing the gel coat. I was able to remove the remaining adhesive with heat gun, and putty knife in about an hour.

If I were to do it again, I would only use the heat gun and a putty knife.

Mikey
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I was reading about your delemma and I too went through the same issue with staining and my problem was solved as one of the other posts suggested usuing a spray clear laquuer. So far a couple of scratches on the suface from ski fin but working well .I will touch up at end of season. I did ask my dealer and they said tey had never heard of this issue. I talked to a buddy who is a Gecko boat rep and oddly enough he knew of this tough. It would have been nice to at least have some acknoledgement of this.Other than that so far having a blast enjoying skiing again Much nicer when you don't have to play submarine trying to have an underpowered boat trying to pull you out! :) :)

helix_rider
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
I took the advice on this thread and put the Minwax indoor/outdoor lacquer sealer on. It works great, no more black mess. However, unlike the other poster, it IS slippery when it gets wet. Any ideas for introducing a little traction without making it sticky?

i935
08-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I ordered the hydro turf sheet from www.hydroturf.com today. I'll post the results once I finish the install.
From all of the posts/replies it seams that removing the factory rubber surface and replacing it with Hydro Turf or something similar is the only real fix. Applying a sealant or lacquer is just putting a band-aid and covering up the problem.

To add traction to the existing surface (with lacquer) you could coat it with a decking material (West Marine) that is used on the topsides of sailboats but that would tear up your knees.

MasterMind3002
08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
My brother has a 2005 Supra Launch and had the same problem. The black stains really bugged him so he told the dealer. The dealer replaced the old pad with the new stuff like my 07 Outback had on it. The new stuff doesn't bleed color. At least not yet. I can't remember if they did it under warranty or if he had to pay. I'll ask him and post back.

Pike
08-14-2007, 03:17 AM
My brother has a 2005 Supra Launch and had the same problem. The black stains really bugged him so he told the dealer. The dealer replaced the old pad with the new stuff like my 07 Outback had on it. The new stuff doesn't bleed color. At least not yet. I can't remember if they did it under warranty or if he had to pay. I'll ask him and post back.

I have the 07' XLV and I am having this same problem...I'm getting tired of being the stain police when people board the boat! I would have to agree about having it in the sun as to the cause, or at least part of the cause. After a while in the water the problem goes away...

MasterMind3002
08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi Pike,

I would think that your XLV and my outback would have the same pad on the platform. As far as I can tell mine doesn't bleed. I have white interior and my platform is exposed to almost constant sun, even while on the lift it hangs out behind the canopy a bit. I'll ask my dealer about it and see if SC installs more than one type of pad.

Dcjm66
08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
I will be ordering a new Mobius lsv this winter and will definately spent the extra few hundered for a teak swim platform. P.S. if the platform is not covered the uv rays will deteriorate the material hence the transfer to the interior IMO.

smokedog2
08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Aero 303 - 05 LSV, no problems