PDA

View Full Version : Bare fiberflass in center/rear lockers?

trayson
02-24-2015, 06:08 PM
So, there's a few choices I can think of (for me) for my lockers.

My front had that OEM mesh mat stuff in there and that was straight up skeezy and I pulled it out and threw it in the trash (after it got less waterlogged sitting out).

So currently my front locker is just fiberglass. The "basement storage" locker on my XLV has one purpose, to have a big ass 1180 gravity games bag in it. So is there any reason to put something under the bag? Like hydroturf? I really don't see a point.

Likewise on the rear lockers. they have carpet that will ultimately get wet from wet gear going into the lockers. The lockers likewise have bags in them (1100's) and those are always going to be on top of the carpet. so I've of course thought of pulling the carpet on the floor and getting rid of perma-wet carpet.

That said, I could again have bare fiberglass or I could have hydroturf. Bare fiberglass is free and hydroturf costs money. Lately, the carpet's been nice as I've been in the lockers a lot with the ballast system upgrade project. but once upgrades are done, there's less reason to climb into the lockers (aside from weatherization but then I'll have the dividers folded down).

Anyway, what are some compelling reasons I should NOT just pull the carpet and have nothing in the rear (or front) lockers?

sivs1
02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
no compelling reason from me, carpet gets wet and gross as it takes forever to dry out. I don't have carpet in my ski locker or basement as you XLV guys call it! I pulled the carpet from the rear lockers and put this down http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H9CMCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's cheap and a little bit nicer than just leaving it bare. so far so good, might put a second coat on it this spring. Took one can for each locker.

gregski
02-24-2015, 06:35 PM
We pulled the carpet out of the rear lockers and have been asking this same question. The only thing I can even think of is that the skanky mat was there for some abrasion resistance but that's a weak argument. The bare floor is smooth enough and the ballast bags are strong enough that I don't see this being any sort of real issue.

I was thinking of putting some truck bed liner in the rear lockers but I'm still a bit undecided.

DOCDRS
02-24-2015, 06:36 PM
My kids like to play hide n seek in those place when we are taping our ghost surfing videos. The carpet makes it more comfy for them as we usually have many retakes to get it right

trayson
02-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Those of you that pulled the carpet. did you pull the carpet on the sides of the rear lockers also? or just the bottom floor carpet?

My first inclination would be to only pull the carpet on the bottom of the locker, and leave the sides carpeted...

brain_rinse
02-24-2015, 08:13 PM
I only pulled the floor and left the sides

brain_rinse
02-24-2015, 08:15 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.php?p=221371

jmvotto
02-24-2015, 08:58 PM
I have the front locker bare. And the the rears. Still have carpet. Don't really feel the need to pull the bottoms

Mine really don't get all that wet My .02

If I were to pull the carpet it would only be the floor. Side fiber glass is very rough

kaneboats
02-24-2015, 11:10 PM
I pulled the nastymat in the center on the first day. I pulled the floor carpet only in the rear lockers -- did this about 4 years in b/c it took too long to dry even in my 100 degree garage and was really matted. I left the sides and put mats underneath the bags cut to sit on the floor. I can pull them out and wash when I feel like. Hydro would be OK but so would be buying a mat from Sears or Lowes and cutting to shape. Absolutely no need to glue or snap down. Working on a hydroturf project for the rest of the floor now.

jmvotto
02-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Transon,
What about these for the rears. Sams club.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-grease-proof-mat-3-x-3/prod8850314.ip

Plus added weight

valleywine
02-25-2015, 02:38 AM
I pulled the floor carpet and cut out the wall carpet about 6 inches up the side walls. Used bedliner paint to smooth it out a little. I also plan on installing some sort of cleat so the engine panels can be taken out easily without unscrewing the tap screws every time. This will also allow me to hang the panel a hair above the floor for good drainage when any water finds its way into the rear lockers.

sandm
02-25-2015, 06:58 AM
I understood the mat in the center locker was designed to keep the ballast bag off the floor and help with drainage. issue I found in the supra was that the bilge water could run up there and that seemed to be what made it nasty. needed to be a 1-way drain, not open to the bilge. I cleaned mine yearly, but left it in. no real reason to tho.

trayson
02-25-2015, 01:05 PM
I understood the mat in the center locker was designed to keep the ballast bag off the floor and help with drainage. issue I found in the supra was that the bilge water could run up there and that seemed to be what made it nasty. needed to be a 1-way drain, not open to the bilge. I cleaned mine yearly, but left it in. no real reason to tho.

Interesting thought. maybe I'll try to install a 1 way drain at some point. I wonder if that would do the trick?

JHutch
02-25-2015, 11:02 PM
I like the idea of a 1 way drain but my issue is sometimes to get all the water out of the boat I have to lower front of the boat down and let the water run into the basement and then shop vac it out. Its nasty but its the only way i have found to get it completely dry as the lowest point of the boat is under the gas tank. Some day I may take the floor panels up just to see what it looks like under there.

2008 XLV Gravity Games btw

Whitey
02-25-2015, 11:39 PM
I leave my mat in and plug the drain makes a huge difference.

996scott
02-25-2015, 11:49 PM
This is what I put in my lockers and it is great. No more wet carpet. Very inexpensive and easy to instal. I also used some of the extra and laid it down in the ski locker where the mesh used to be. That stuff gets pretty nasty.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23974-Removed-rear-locker-carpet-and-replaced-with-quot-rubber-mat-quot

trayson
02-26-2015, 06:17 PM
I was able to get the sheets of molded b-stock hydroturf for $34 a sheet ($40 less 15% discount) + shipping from PWC Muscle.

I am going to use a sheet to cover most the bottom of my lockers. Should be good enough. And for the price, I won't mess with rigging something else up. I mean, I'd spend $10+ per locker for the spray on bedliner. For around double that I'll have hydroturf. Works for me.

spyder
05-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Bumping this old thread as I had an idea about the ski Locker and drainage.

What about something like this or similar? Any thoughts / suggestions? Seems way better then the slime rag

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61H90--unmL._SX300_.jpg

valleywine
05-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Bumping this old thread as I had an idea about the ski Locker and drainage.

What about something like this or similar? Any thoughts / suggestions? Seems way better then the slime rag

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61H90--unmL._SX300_.jpg

I think that would be ideal. Removeable, permeable and you wouldn't have to worry about trapped water underneath.

Beejwest
05-04-2015, 09:37 AM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24692-No-more-wet-lockers