PDA

View Full Version : Engine Breakin

mattjj23
05-21-2006, 12:13 AM
I recently purchased a brand new 06' Moomba Outback with the 310 HP Indmar Assault carbourated engine. I have 3.5 hours on it. When I first put it in the water I have to let it fully warm up before I can put any load(engage prop) on the engine without in dying. Also at idle it seems to run just a little rough, but other than that it runs fine. Also when accelerating from a dead stop(instant 3/4 throttle) it bogs just a little bit before initial acceleration. Are these the normal signs of an engine while it is being broken in?

lowdrag
05-21-2006, 06:52 AM
I had the 310 carb in my last boat and never had anything like what you're describing happen to me during break in. Sounds like it may be running a little rich. I'd have your dealer check it out.

Wolf-
05-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by mattjj23

I recently purchased a brand new 06' Moomba Outback with the 310 HP Indmar Assault carbourated engine. I have 3.5 hours on it. When I first put it in the water I have to let it fully warm up before I can put any load(engage prop) on the engine without in dying. Also at idle it seems to run just a little rough, but other than that it runs fine. Also when accelerating from a dead stop(instant 3/4 throttle) it bogs just a little bit before initial acceleration. Are these the normal signs of an engine while it is being broken in?

I'm with lowdrag, have the dealer check it out. I have the 310HP in my new 2006 Outback. I do let it warm up a bit on the trailer before backing off (101 ways to aggravate bass fishermen). But after she heats up (stat rises ever so little) I don't have any problems with her.

carsondoc
05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
The carb needs to be adjusted. These things come from the factory preset for emissions purposes. I've read a bunch of posts over the last couple years with essentially the same type problem with the carb engines. BTW, mine did the same thing. Once I adjusted the idle speed and the idle air bleed screws it ran like a champ. The idle air bleed screws are factory sealed with about a quarter inch brass cap on both sides of the metering plate (so you won't mess up the emissions). You need to pry those brass caps off to get to them. If you aren't comfortable messing with your carb, just about anyone who is knowledgable about carbs (maybe even your dealer!) can help you out. Once adjusted properly, it should run great.

silverski
05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Similar problem with a new 05 last year. Dealer stepped up the idle at the 20 hour service and it seems fine now. Idles a little faster than one would think it should have to, but it works for me.

mattjj23
05-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I take it in for the first service at 15 hours I will make the dealer adjust it. For now I will just turn the idle screw up a bit. What is all of your idle RPM's set at?

carsondoc
05-23-2006, 03:41 PM
I now have my idle set to about 700-800 rpm while in idle. It goes to about 600 when bumped into gear. I couldn't do that before I got the idle air bleed adjusted. Before that, I had to have the idle at about 1100 so that when I bumped it into gear and the rmps went down it wouldn't die.

05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
i have the same problem with my outback v 06 i have 7 hours on it is it that hard to mess with cause my problem with the dealer is that they are 2 hours away

smak
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Last year we had a new 2005 Outback.....similar sounding issue you have.....discovered it was the fuel filter needed to be replaced.....run fine since then.... fyi smak