PDA

View Full Version : Snap cover or travel cover, looking for user feedback, pros/cons

JReebs
02-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Have a 2015 mondo on order and am trying to decide between a travel cover or a snap cover. Concerns are: 1) Will a travel cover rubbing cause any dulling or hazing of the cear coat? 2) How well a snap cover will travel?
Any opinions or user feedback appreciated

sivs1
02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
I use my snap cover to travel all the time. I've gone as far as 600 miles one way with no issues even at 80 MPH.

viking
02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
I had a snap cover on my Outback and traveled with it all the time. It wasn't OEM though as I had a custom cover made so it pulled tight with no poles so I could tow with it.
That being said, If ordering a new boat I would never order one with snaps. They always work their way out eventually and I like the clean look of no snaps on the gel. Personal preference!

sandm
02-23-2015, 12:39 PM
supra had snap cover. travelled with it all the time with no issues.
tige has a travel cover. again travelled with it and no issues.

second vikings opinion. I'll avoid snapcovers on any boats going fwd as the snaps eventually wear/tear out and I don't like the look of snaps all over a boat.

look into an evolution travel cover. never bought one but price seems to be similar to factory covers and heard they are the bomb.. MMandleys was sure nice looking on his old lsv..

bergermaister
02-23-2015, 02:13 PM
If ordering a new boat I would never order one with snaps. They always work their way out eventually and I like the clean look of no snaps on the gel. Personal preference!

Completely agree - love the smooth, snap free lines. I'm running a strapless custom cover - not Evolution but similar. Haven't had any issues with the fiberglass but I have seen the tops/edges of the vinyl in the bow get some dirtiness from the cover rubbing/flapping some at freeway speeds. It cleans right off though.

trayson
02-23-2015, 02:39 PM
My cover is a travel cover and it's great. It was on my XLV for an over 2000 mile drive from Indiana to WA. Was just fine.

It has webbing around it, built in vents, snaps for the tenting poles for the bow and cabin, and a ratchet strap to get it tight. The ratchet strap is padded to keep it from marring the finish. Also has a pair of webbing loops that go to the tie down eyes.

I love the fact that in late summer or early spring if the boat's parked outside with the cover on, that I can leave it on to protect the boat from the morning dew and bring the boat with me to work. Everything's tucked away still under the cover. then I can take the cover off at the launch and everything's nice and dry.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5Svw1AHZ5-g/VAnlqWLA4kI/AAAAAAAAUOw/SQOfDM2MUfg/s800/20140903_175043_resized.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AmRTqOybyw4/VA3Twxr1NnI/AAAAAAAAUK8/mjjbq_w4lXo/s800/VP3333681_3_large_resized_zps717cfca1.jpg

parrothd
02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
I just got my first snap on cover and never going back. Saves me so much time, I hand someone the cover and point to the first snap and they do it.. Not so with the other covers.. :cool:

Badfoot
02-23-2015, 06:18 PM
I prefer the snap on vs the pull over version. I believe the bow of the Mondo is similar to the Mojo. The factory pull over type is a PITA to put on without someone to hold the front in place. I wish I had gone with the snaps. Much easier, like parrothd said.

KG's Supra24
02-23-2015, 08:09 PM
That's an interesting take on the snap-on cover. I agree, it was simple for a guest to walk down the boat snapping buttons. I don't bother explaining how the strap one works, even though its simple.

However, I have broken buttons and some that have fallen off and the look drives me crazy like the others mentioned.

I'd go with no buttons for the sake of the gel if ordering a new boat, no question.

parrothd
02-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Why not replace the missing parts, pretty easy to do..

sandm
02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
nothing like buying a brand new 75+k boat with fancy metalflake and then drilling 100 holes in it and putting a bunch of chrome metal snaps all over it. detracts from the look.. reason you don't see a lot of snap covers on new wakeboats anymore.

I do have to say it's much easier to get help securing a snap cover, but I'll fight a towing cover for the extra 2-3minutes each outing to avoid the "look" of snaps.

Boatdrinks797
02-23-2015, 11:38 PM
I've had both and would go with a pull over cover again. Much quicker to get off/on in my opinion. The only thing I liked about a snap cover was being able to get it easily covered in windy conditions as your wife watches from inside as the storm rolls in.

parrothd
02-23-2015, 11:44 PM
The only thing your liked about the snap on cover was that it was quicker than the pullover, but you'd buy a pullover which was faster !?! !

996scott
02-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Snap on covers are the best for travel without a doubt. The only drawback is you do have a bunch of snaps on the boat and you don't have that clean look, but it's not that bad in my opinion. Snap covers go on and off real quick and if done correctly they fit like a glove.

newty
02-24-2015, 12:19 AM
Love my snap cover, I've had both and the snap is the winner especially for trailering mooring and anchoring. I was worried about the snaps detracting from the look, but form over function wins for me on this one.

wolfeman131
02-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Key word in Newty's post: "had"

viking
02-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Key word in Newty's post: "had"

Is Newty Boatless? What did I miss?

parrothd
02-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Probably depends on how much you use your boat. I was worried about the look of the snaps, but we use our boat a lot, 2-3 a weak. For me function trumps looks..

Sinjun
02-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Snap covers are easier to put on when the boat is in the water. And I cover the boat every night.

newty
02-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Is Newty Boatless? What did I miss?
Deal isn't done, save for another thread. Thanks Wolfe...

wolfeman131
02-24-2015, 09:25 PM
No idea what you're talking about . . .

brain_rinse
02-24-2015, 09:31 PM
I have a snap cover and like it

newty
02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Way to change the subject brain.

brain_rinse
02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Way to change the subject brain.
I just wanted to make it clear that while you "HAD" a snap cover, I currently "HAVE" a snap cover.

newty
02-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Lol... Thanks.

wolfeman131
02-24-2015, 11:20 PM
I had a snap cover and also had a mooring cover. Currently I have neither.

Does that help at all, Newty?

jmvotto
02-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Probably depends on how much you use your boat. I was worried about the look of the snaps, but we use our boat a lot, 2-3 a weak. For me function trumps looks..

Plus 1 on the snaps. Would not buy a boat without them.

newty
02-25-2015, 12:06 AM
I had a snap cover and also had a mooring cover. Currently I have neither.

Does that help at all, Newty?
Oh I guess.:D

pdhj1990
02-25-2015, 09:44 PM
I just ordered a Moomba with the snap cover. The dealer was pretty adamant that the boat include this feature. Now, I'm having second thoughts.

I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can make a change. There's no real price difference in the snap cover vs a travel cover with built-in vents and ratchet straps.

We store our boat in a covered building 1/4 mile from the boat launch. My prior boat didn't have the snap cover and I liked the clean look.

Thoughts?

wolfeman131
02-25-2015, 09:50 PM
I prefer the mooring cover vs snap cover

brain_rinse
02-25-2015, 09:52 PM
If I were ordering a new boat I'd skip the snap cover and just get an Evolution.

pdhj1990
02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
I appreciate the insight.

Woody929
02-25-2015, 11:18 PM
I just ordered a Moomba with the snap cover. The dealer was pretty adamant that the boat include this feature. Now, I'm having second thoughts.

I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can make a change. There's no real price difference in the snap cover vs a travel cover with built-in vents and ratchet straps.

We store our boat in a covered building 1/4 mile from the boat launch. My prior boat didn't have the snap cover and I liked the clean look.

Thoughts?

I don't think I've seen a boat there that didn't have snap acne. I much prefer the smooth surface that the mooring cover provides.

moombadaze
02-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Prefer snapless myself. Ordered my boat coverless and hadto wait for Evolution to get a patern made for the 13 lsv. I got the first one made and couldn't be happier with it.

pdhj1990
02-26-2015, 04:55 PM
I revised my order and dropped the snap cover. The dealer and Skiers Choice were equally accommodating with my request. I also ordered the mooring cover.
Great owners forum - great insight.

trayson
03-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Just a followup for you. I think you made the right decision. I have the factory mooring cover made by great lakes boat top and also have the factory Moomba snap cover. I finally tried out the snap cover for the first time today. I'd say that it easily took me as much time or even more time to put on the snap cover as the mooring cover. And it's very obvious to me that it'll provide a lot less protection from rain and weather. It's softer/thinner/lighter, so it might be useful when I'm camping with a boat slip and just want something to keep the dew off. But if I had to choose one or the other, I'd definitely skip the snap cover.

parrothd
03-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Never going back to a mooring cover. Depends on how you use your boat, I'm in a slip and snapon cover is way faster, best part is I don't have to do it.. :cool:

trayson
03-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Never going back to a mooring cover. Depends on how you use your boat, I'm in a slip and snapon cover is way faster, best part is I don't have to do it.. :cool:

I will give ya that. A mooring cover from a slip would be harder. But the snap cover standing on the ground with the boat on the trailer was kind of a pain.

Blueliner
03-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Mine has snaps, easy to put cover on, in the water and out. I have also so towed some distances at highway speed with no problems, sometimes I leave it off, dries out the boat carpet etc. But I like the thought of no snaps as far as looks. When I first got the boat it was outside for a few weeks and heavy dew or rain kept getting in somewhere, not really sure if different covers will protect from condensation or dew. Now my boat is indoors when not in use and always dry.

Regards
Blueliner

parrothd
03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Try putting the cover on while standing inside the boat, front to back, I work my way onto the platform to get all the snaps. You'll come around, the other cover was faster cuz you always do it that way. Anyone will be able to remove/install the snap on cover which is a huge advantage. I purposely show up late, which gives my crew time to remove the cover and start getting ready without me..

trayson
03-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Try putting the cover on while standing inside the boat, front to back, I work my way onto the platform to get all the snaps. You'll come around, the other cover was faster cuz you always do it that way. Anyone will be able to remove/install the snap on cover which is a huge advantage. I purposely show up late, which gives my crew time to remove the cover and start getting ready without me..

Well, the good thing is that I have both, so I can use the one I want for the scenario I'm in. Always good to have options!

pdhj1990
03-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Well said!!!

nothing like buying a brand new 75+k boat with fancy metalflake and then drilling 100 holes in it and putting a bunch of chrome metal snaps all over it. detracts from the look.. reason you don't see a lot of snap covers on new wakeboats anymore.

I do have to say it's much easier to get help securing a snap cover, but I'll fight a towing cover for the extra 2-3minutes each outing to avoid the "look" of snaps.