PDA

View Full Version : Mirror and Mount for 2015 Mojo

Gmark
02-17-2015, 02:35 PM
I have looked through several posts on mirrors and means of attaching them. I am at the point of making a decision for which I could use some feedback from folks who have experience. First of all, I am amazed at how much one can spend on a mirror if they want to.... geeez.

Option 1: PTM VE-140 with a folding windshield mount: ~$300
Option 2: CIPA Vision 180 on a black anodizeed Samson tower mount: ~$400

Of course the ideal setup would be the PTM on the Samson mount but the $500 price tag is kind of freaking me out right now.

So, will I be better off with the better mirror (PTM) or the tower mount? Is the CIPA mirror significantly inferior to the PTM? Is forward visability better with a tower mounted mirror (https://samsonsports.com/shop/reverse-arch-tower-mirror/)?

Boonejeepin
02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Not sure what will be best for you but I have a CIPA 180 and really like it.

Badfoot
02-17-2015, 05:28 PM
You don't like the one that came with your boat? It's a CIPA, not sure the model number, but it attaches to your windshield and easily removable for transporting. if you bought it at Southtown, there will be one in it when you pick it up. Mine was.

Boonejeepin
02-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Both the CIPA 180 and PTM offer a much wider view than the factory mirror. The downside is both have a ball mount that is different than the standard mount (at least it was on my boat) requiring a new mount..

Gmark
02-17-2015, 08:13 PM
You don't like the one that came with your boat? It's a CIPA, not sure the model number, but it attaches to your windshield and easily removable for transporting. if you bought it at Southtown, there will be one in it when you pick it up. Mine was.

I think when we were going through the selections and they said the after market one was a good value and I eliminated it from my selection sheet; that is the PTM mirror which I am sure is fine. Of course later I saw an LSV at a marina with one of those black anodized mounts and thought it was pretty slick. It got me wondering if the fold-down windshield mount is in the way when looking forward and having it higher up would be beneficial. So often when driving a boat I find that I like to look over the windshield rather than through it. Probably makes no sense.

In hindsight, I should have just ingnored this whole subject when ordering the boat and taken the CIPA that you got. So often I find myself overthinking something that really does not require the effort, very rarely does this save me money.;-)

jmvotto
02-17-2015, 09:07 PM
I love the tower mount from Samson , it does not block my view in my opinion. Looking forward.
Buy from bakesonline and mention Moomba forum and you should get at discount 5 to 10 %.

Only problem I have is that my 4 exile xm 9 get in my rear view.:rolleyes:

maxpower220
02-18-2015, 11:20 PM
I have the PTM mirror and it is the best mirror I have had in a boat. I have not even seen the new CIPA though. It is really worth it to always see the rider/skier/tuber. If surfing is your thing, I wouldn't bother.

Boonejeepin
02-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Quick pic of the CIPA 180http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/bf752dfc21f923652510924299540da9.jpg

bergermaister
02-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Somewhere behind all those speakers there's a surfer.

If you concentrate you can almost see them.

BamaMojo
02-22-2015, 11:04 AM
I love the tower mount from Samson , it does not block my view in my opinion. Looking forward.
Buy from bakesonline and mention Moomba forum and you should get at discount 5 to 10 %.

Only problem I have is that my 4 exile xm 9 get in my rear view.:rolleyes:

Agreed!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/49a990b0d1ef59013883f4219edd8dd5.jpg

2012 Mojo

Gettin' It
04-14-2015, 09:51 PM
I am in the middle of this same decision right now. $500 is tough for a mirror, I'd rather pull the trigger on fresh air exhaust.

samvq1
04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
I have a 2014 Mojo with a tower mount mirror. Keep in mind that if you have to fold the tower down for storage, a tower mount mirror can be a PITA. The mount hits the dash when the tower is folded down. I ended up taking it off until I found a new storage place I could leave the tower up.

viking
04-15-2015, 12:08 AM
I have a 2014 Mojo with a tower mount mirror. Keep in mind that if you have to fold the tower down for storage, a tower mount mirror can be a PITA. The mount hits the dash when the tower is folded down. I ended up taking it off until I found a new storage place I could leave the tower up.

Not really? The tower mount from samson has a quick release handle so the only thing that is permanent is the clamp.

samvq1
04-15-2015, 08:40 AM
I wish mine had a quick release. After I took delivery, I had to fold the tower to put it in the rack. Had to go get tools to remove it. Left it off for a few months until I moved to a different storage place. I hated the forklift putting it in the dry storage rack.