PDA

View Full Version : Raptor not in new Ford Raptor

DaveM
02-16-2015, 10:37 PM
I see the new generation Ford Raptor truck will not use the 6.2L V-8 now used in all Moomba boats. It's going with a turbo V-6. I wonder if this will hurt Moomba marketing and if Ford will continue to build this engine.

The Malibu dealer said Malibu boats will not go with the Raptor engine. Early reviews have been good on this engine.

maxpower220
02-16-2015, 11:05 PM
The 6.2L Ford motor is in a few of the Ford lineup. It also is in the Raptor truck. Why indmar decided to call the motor Raptor is a marketing ploy.

Any company switching from the Chevy 5.7-6.2L engine family has some issues to deal with. The chevy has been around a long time, parts are stabile, cheap andy found everywhere. The Ford 6.2 has only been around a few years.

There are still a ton of 351 lovers that lament the switch to chevy 5.7.

viking
02-16-2015, 11:27 PM
I personally think the reason Ford worked so hard to get the 6.2L into the Marine market was to get some of it's money back knowing it was going to cut it from the new generation! But that's the skeptic in me!

beat taco
02-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Ecoboost boats?

mmandley
02-17-2015, 02:20 AM
Ecoboost boats?

I seriously doubt it, Eco Boost has the power but drinks way to much fuel with twin turbos spinning.

beat taco
02-17-2015, 02:40 AM
Lol it would be in constant boost!

Mobius22
02-17-2015, 09:17 AM
The Raptor isn't going anywhere in Marine. Ford is definitely going to continue producing the engine, where as Chevy is going to stop producing the 5.7L. I would expect Malibu to start having the 5.3L standard soon if they're really not switching to Ford.

sandm
02-17-2015, 09:35 AM
I seriously doubt it, Eco Boost has the power but drinks way to much fuel with twin turbos spinning.

heat would be the biggest reason not to switch to a tt setup. turbos need a lot of air to breathe and a lot of air circulating around them to cool. the confines of a boat environment would not be a good application.
your ecoboost actually gets better gas mileage than my triton v8 and should be more efficient in a boat environment than the chevy block.

mmandley
02-17-2015, 10:40 AM
heat would be the biggest reason not to switch to a tt setup. turbos need a lot of air to breathe and a lot of air circulating around them to cool. the confines of a boat environment would not be a good application.
your ecoboost actually gets better gas mileage than my triton v8 and should be more efficient in a boat environment than the chevy block.

I agree with this until comparing it to your truck and a boat environment.
Yes the turbos would be too hot in the boat environment.
Yes my Eco is better on mileage then your Triton until my turbos spool up.

When I tow the boat my mileage might only be slightly better but don't be fooled by those saying they get 12-15 mpg towing, thats BS.

When you run the engine over 2K RPM the turbos spool and the mileage drops. I can literally have several hundo on a tank averaging 18 and do 1 mile of boosted passing at 80mph and watch that mpg drop in a few seconds from the huge amounts of fuel the engine can consume.

Eco Boost is a powerful V6 with V8 power.
V6 mode is under 2K rpm, all the time and not towing
V8 Mode anything after 2K RPM and towing.

Very large differences in mileage lol.

sandm
02-17-2015, 10:46 AM
towing boat out here from idaho, I averaged 6.4mpg's(miles/gallons at each stop, no incab computer). best was 8.7, worst going into a headwind all day was 4.9. compare that to your ecoboost. bet you are closer to 10mpg's towing.

mmandley
02-17-2015, 12:39 PM
towing boat out here from idaho, I averaged 6.4mpg's(miles/gallons at each stop, no incab computer). best was 8.7, worst going into a headwind all day was 4.9. compare that to your ecoboost. bet you are closer to 10mpg's towing.

Yes that is correct, and yes your milage is pathetic lol.

Although I do get 10s locally when I goto LBC and last year Prineville I only averaged 8.5 due to all the gear in the truck and boat.

beat taco
02-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Nothing new about turbos in boats. Mercury just released a 1500hp twin turbo last week. I can't see any spec on gph but someone comented 125gph at 2500rpms. Holy shat if that's correct.

The best I could do for finding pics of my friends (actually some of you met him, he joined us at the prineville jam) dad's boat is here:
http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2012/04/05/childrens-boats-cradles-with-radio-controls-and-5200-no-soak-bottoms-what-the-heck/

His is the 22' version at the bottom of the story. That boat was hand built in his tiny garage.
He was once a ford mechanic so for motor choice he went with a fuel injected twin turbo charged 460. All of the turbo plumbing and intercooler was hand built by him. It has a SDS fuel management system he's constantly tuning on his laptop while he rolls down the river and everyone stops to admire the "old" wood boat. He did melt the first intake he built while sorting out the heat issues lol!

sandm
02-17-2015, 01:41 PM
lots of turbos out there, but if you look at all the big builders making big hp(sans diesel cruiser boats), 95% of them are doing it with superchargers. not as much heat and much more reliable even factoring in the parasitic loss from the drive belt. not that turbos are unreliable, but not practical in a wakeboat application. heck even look at the automotive marketplace picking on Mike's vette. lots of add-on supercharger applications, but not many for add-on turbos.

beat taco
02-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Mike should run a hot cam and change his lifters/pushrods/springs :)

mmandley
02-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Mike should run a hot cam and change his lifters/pushrods/springs :)

I have looked into the Hot LT1 cam and its not that great. I do however want a new cam lifters rollers, but I might as well build the bottom end at the same time. 140+ K miles and the LT1 runs awesome but that much new power might show her weakness lol.

I am hoping in 16 I can figure it out but IDK might be 17 lol.
This year is the new wheels and tires. Few other goodies that don't cost 5K lol.

I would love to do a Supercharger on mine as well too, or a procharger even.
Not sure how reliable a procharger is for daily driving but I know a supercharger is well worth it.

beat taco
02-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Zzziiiiiiipppp!

sandm
02-17-2015, 03:58 PM
do it... and post up build pics :)

goal should be same hp in car as watts in stereo in boat :)