PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this boat?

That Guy
02-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Looking for our first v-drive and came across this. Only a few hours away and price is definitely in budget.

What are your thoughts? Price? Will it be good for wakeboarding and possibly starting to surf on?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-102434392

Thanks,
Matt

cornrickey
02-15-2015, 01:40 AM
I thought Gravity Games editions were a Supra thing.

moombahighrider
02-15-2015, 03:26 AM
No, gravity games and moomba have been a thing for some time, although it's over now. Definitely not just a supra thing...

lee
02-15-2015, 09:03 AM

This what an 2003 Gravity Games Edition looked like. They all had the same decal on the rear.

jmvotto
02-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Looking for our first v-drive and came across this. Only a few hours away and price is definitely in budget.

What are your thoughts? Price? Will it be good for wakeboarding and possibly starting to surf on?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-102434392

Thanks,
Matt

That is definately a great starter boat , our 2007 obv was the same hull.and size,

The freeboard is low on those models.

boardman74
02-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Great starter boat and the price looks decent. But as pointed out above that is not a gravity games edition. They all had that sticker on the rear. The freeboard is low compared to what is being produced today, but likely most in that price and year range will be. On semi-protected waters and with a smaller family or crew that will likely be a great first V-drive Tow boat.

That Guy
02-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Ok, sounds like it should work for us. We typically have 3-5 people and our local river is maybe 100yards wide and 6 miles long and the lake is only about 5 square miles and doesn't get too bad out.

It doesn't look like/say that it has tower racks/speakers or a bimini. Where would I look for good pricing on it and does anyone know what size tubing the tower has so I can use that in my search. I found this website for racks and speakers...http://www.diywake.com bought from them before? Still not sure where I'd find a bimini though.

Does the tower fold? If so does anyone know how easy it is and what the height it on the trailer when folded? Trying to see if I would be able to get it in my 7ft home garage door or need to keep it at my office which has 14ft doors.

Is this ballast going to be integrated and plumbed/switched from the factory or is it likely aftermarket by a previous owner?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your input!

Matt

patrick232
02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Tower will fold forward.
You should have extra switch's to wire in the pumps if you go that route. If you take on Griggs you will take rollers over the bow when weighted, as its a low freeboard. Our 2006 LSV would. Also to surf the rub rail will be in the water when weighted. I would look for a newer LSV 2006 - 2012 was one of the best hulls produced.

wolfeman131
02-15-2015, 02:49 PM
great first boat, looks clean and price is about right. You can get a nice, cargo bimini from Monster Tower. We had one on our 2008 Outback V (same hull & tower) and it was great.

see details here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10144-Monster-Tower-Cargo-Rack-Install&highlight=monster

Unscrew the black knobs on the tower & loosen up the screws on the front legs and the tower will fold forward and the boat will fit in the garage, no problem. I would put a rope on the pylon on the tower and pull the tower to me while standing in the bow. I'd do the reverse and stand on the swim deck to put it back up. Otherwise, it's a 2 person job.

You'll need to post some pics of the ballast system for folks to tell you if it was factory or installed by the prior owner. Although, it really doesn't matter because now that you've found this motley crew, you're going to upgrade whatever is in there.

While I agree with Patrick on a 06+ LSV, you're not going to find one under $20k. If he knew how to drive better, he wouldn't take rollers over the bow. :) You'll be fine. Just make sure your bilge pump is working.

patrick232
02-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Drew, I wasn't the first one driving when it happened. It was a buddy of mine that I would say is one of best driver's I have known.

Badfoot
02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
That's a nice boat. Appears to be well taken care of. I had an 05 LSV previously, same boat i think. Had it for 10 years, never any trouble.

That Guy
02-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Tower will fold forward.
You should have extra switch's to wire in the pumps if you go that route. If you take on Griggs you will take rollers over the bow when weighted, as its a low freeboard. Our 2006 LSV would. Also to surf the rub rail will be in the water when weighted. I would look for a newer LSV 2006 - 2012 was one of the best hulls produced.

Thanks for the info. I've run up to 2300lbs in our Malibu and haven't taken anything over the bow yet. I'm sure the freeboard can't be less than that boat right? So just means we've gotta be more careful than with a new boat and tons of freeboard. For this era boat/price point I'm fully expecting it. I've thought about the 06+ LSV but they are easily $10k-12k more and I'd rather just save that towards a new one in a couple years. I think we can enjoy this one with some tweaks.

great first boat, looks clean and price is about right. You can get a nice, cargo bimini from Monster Tower. We had one on our 2008 Outback V (same hull & tower) and it was great.

see details here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10144-Monster-Tower-Cargo-Rack-Install&highlight=monster

Unscrew the black knobs on the tower & loosen up the screws on the front legs and the tower will fold forward and the boat will fit in the garage, no problem. I would put a rope on the pylon on the tower and pull the tower to me while standing in the bow. I'd do the reverse and stand on the swim deck to put it back up. Otherwise, it's a 2 person job.

You'll need to post some pics of the ballast system for folks to tell you if it was factory or installed by the prior owner. Although, it really doesn't matter because now that you've found this motley crew, you're going to upgrade whatever is in there.

While I agree with Patrick on a 06+ LSV, you're not going to find one under $20k. If he knew how to drive better, he wouldn't take rollers over the bow. :) You'll be fine. Just make sure your bilge pump is working.

Thanks for those tips and info. Definitely will be careful like always. Was there a reason you went with the cargo rack vs the over the tower rack? I have no idea on the height of the tower or the cargo rack bimini but I'd think the over the tower rack would interest me more so I wouldn't have to bend over/duck to get from front/back. Am I being silly?

That's a nice boat. Appears to be well taken care of. I had an 05 LSV previously, same boat i think. Had it for 10 years, never any trouble.

Yeah, it definitely shows well in the pictures so hopefully it's the same in person. I notice in your signature it says your boat was a carb'd model...did it have this same engine and is this engine carbed as well or is it fuel injected?

-Matt

jmvotto
02-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Anything pre 2007 I believe was carbed and not efi until 2007

Sinjun
02-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Anything pre 2007 I believe was carbed and not efi until 2007

Just an fyi I have a 2003 outback that has a 325hp efi Indmar motor.

Badfoot
02-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Yeah, it definitely shows well in the pictures so hopefully it's the same in person. I notice in your signature it says your boat was a carb'd model...did it have this same engine and is this engine carbed as well or is it fuel injected?

-Matt

Yes it is the same engine. I cannot determine if it is carb'd or EFI in the desription. The 05 LSV I had was a carb'd 5.7L 310HP. I beleive the EFI increased HP to 325.

csm
02-15-2015, 09:20 PM
My 2005 had the 325 EFI... can't tell from the pictures which one that has. I can't remember ever taking water over the bow, so don't let that scare you as long as you're paying attention. Great boat.

My $.02 on the tower. Yes, it folds forward, and it will easily fit in a 7ft. garage. I did this for about a year, but as a short guy (5'9"), it was hard as hell for me to do by myself. I rigged up a chain to help, but it was still nerve-wracking. I couldn't stand in the bow even with a rope and pull it towards me. I ended up renting storage, and it was worth the $125/month just for the ease of leaving the tower up IMO. If you have an option at your office, my guess is you would end up using that before long, but it's great to have options!

wolfeman131
02-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Drew, I wasn't the first one driving when it happened. It was a buddy of mine that I would say is one of best driver's I have known.

There's an art to it, really. When my Mother in Law was sitting up in the bow, I would often have "an accident" and take a huge roller over the bow.

I had a similar "accident" when I drove Dusty's boat.

wolfeman131
02-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Was there a reason you went with the cargo rack vs the over the tower rack? I have no idea on the height of the tower or the cargo rack bimini but I'd think the over the tower rack would interest me more so I wouldn't have to bend over/duck to get from front/back. Am I being silly?

We wanted it for the storage. We keep the boat on a lift that has cables and didn't want to drop the $$ on swivel board racks, so the cargo rack was the way to go for us.

patrick232
02-15-2015, 09:38 PM
There's an art to it, really. When my Mother in Law was sitting up in the bow, I would often have "an accident" and take a huge roller over the bow.

I had a similar "accident" when I drove Dusty's boat.

I have done that two with kids upfront and no carpet in the Mondo.

One of these days I need to make it to ATL or Texas.

lee
02-15-2015, 09:52 PM
EFI was an option in 2003 and the one in the picture looks to be an EFI.

jmvotto
02-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Sorry my 07 was a325 and didn't realize it was offered years earlier

VA LSV
02-16-2015, 12:42 PM
You can find the motor options for '03 here. Didn't realize there were this many.

http://www.moomba.com/downloads/owner_manuals/moomba_03.pdf

That Guy
02-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Boat sold in less than 24 hours! It was listed Saturday afternoon and I called yesterday morning shortly after they opened and they said they already had a deposit on it but if it fell through for any reason I was next in line.

Son of a! Thanks for all the input guys....the search continues!

Badfoot
02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Sorry you missed that one. I'm sure another will show up somewhere. We'll keep our eyes open for another one.

parrothd
02-17-2015, 11:36 PM
Sorry, we're picking it up Sat..:)

There's a nice 06 lsv in Texas for 24k, larger, fuel injected, lower hours. I was trying to steer my brother towards that one but the numbers didn't work out...

That Guy
02-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Sorry you missed that one. I'm sure another will show up somewhere. We'll keep our eyes open for another one.

Thanks, bummed but everything happens for a reason. :)

There's a nice 06 lsv in Texas for 24k, larger, fuel injected, lower hours. I was trying to steer my brother towards that one but the numbers didn't work out...

Haha, Mr. Funny-man you are. Hope it treats ya well. ;) Got a link to the one in Texas? My wife lived in San Antonio years ago so I'm sure she'd be up for a visit but I remember the drive when we moved her here, sucked for sure.

parrothd
02-17-2015, 11:53 PM
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/boa/4858722073.html

Cole, (214) 790-9518, needs a deep cleaning, but looks in good condition. I have some pics but he was going to clean it past weekend. Kinda hard to get to, but great price..

parrothd
02-17-2015, 11:56 PM
I was going to tell him to post it on onlyinboards, be gone ASAP.

KG's Supra24
02-18-2015, 12:30 AM

LOL, wow. The market is competitive! I hope your finances are in your holster That Guy! Good Luck.

kaneboats
02-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Better get moving. That's darn cheap with the low hours. Got some colors that would pass in Ohio too.

sandm
02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
that price looks about average for a private sale. selling my ssv in '12(same year), 30k seemed to be the going price for a low hours boat that had a big stereo and ballast upgrades in great condition. now 3 years older. dealer would be hard pressed to get 30 out of that boat imo.

parrothd
02-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Has perfect pass and 3 bags, you don't see these listed for that price often, they go quick.

parrothd
02-26-2015, 03:33 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/26/c0a5bb39f6f35662e97fac85ab66e13f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/26/e4c524880c98db528843062e6099abe3.jpg

That Guy
03-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Congrats! Many happy hours for you on the boat. We actually just put a deposit on one today as well so hopefully I'll be posting a similar picture in a couple weeks when we pick it up.