PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good battery for stereo use?

BrettLee3232
02-13-2015, 02:00 AM
http://www.wholesalebatteriesdirect.com/marine-batteries/52230-12-v-90-ah-group-27-deep-cycle-agm-marine-battery.html

I need to get a battery switch to but just wanted to make sure this is a good battery or not?

MLA
02-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Cant speak at all to the quality or reliability of that battery. But, a group-27 with 90 Ah is about average for that class. That will be fine for a 2nd battery bank, but may not be enough reserve if you intend to play at anchor for any length of time. If you do need to go with a larger house bank, this will influence the type of switch setup and of course shore charging.

BrettLee3232
02-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Cant speak at all to the quality or reliability of that battery. But, a group-27 with 90 Ah is about average for that class. That will be fine for a 2nd battery bank, but may not be enough reserve if you intend to play at anchor for any length of time. If you do need to go with a larger house bank, this will influence the type of switch setup and of course shore charging.

Thanks Mike, what would be a good 12v at a reasonable price? Or would I have to go 2 6v?

MLA
02-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks Mike, what would be a good 12v at a reasonable price? Or would I have to go 2 6v?

This is really two different questions with 2 different answers. There are only 3-4 actual wet cell lead acid battery manufactures producing 90% of the brands you see here in the US. Most are good quality and will do a good job if its the right battery for the application and is maintained well. I have not experience with that one you linked, so I do to know who makes, so I have no opinion to its quality. For the price, its hard to beat any lead acid wet cell. For a few more bucks, id step up to a group-29 and gain a few more Ah.

Now, do you need to two 6V GC's......dunno? That depends on how you intend to use the battery bank. Here again, there are good quality 6V's, some top shelf and some that are ok. typically, a pair of 6V GC's will give you a little more Ah's than 2 group-29's or 31's (depends on the brand as some do a 29 and some do a 31 but they are about the same).