PDA

View Full Version : Marine Grade Speaker Wire/RCA?

BrettLee3232
02-12-2015, 03:11 AM
Is it ok to just use regular 12awg speaker wire or should I be using marine grade?

Same goes for RCA's?

Thanks!

mmandley
02-12-2015, 03:30 AM
Most everyone uses standard style wire and RCA.

BrettLee3232
02-12-2015, 03:45 AM
Most everyone uses standard style wire and RCA.

Thanks, do you have a source for wire? I was looking at Amazon & a seller name KnuKonceptz & they seemed like a pretty good deal.

Just not sure how I'm gonna fish 2 12awg speakers up each side of my tower haha

mmandley
02-12-2015, 06:12 AM
I personally always use T-Spec. I buy mine through Exile Marine Audio.

http://www.tspeconline.com/

You can get T-Spec through a number of places.

As for the wires, 1/2 inch hole where the wires double up, 3/8 for the speaker clamps.
I have pulled plenty of towers and I find it easiest to have a small fish tape tool, sturdy wire to pull it through. Also I pull them both together, I tape the wires together but stagger them so its smaller at one end and gets larger over the next few inches.

sandm
02-12-2015, 08:33 AM
wired 2 boats and a car from knuconceptz and have nothing but good things to say for both the product and the shipping. as long as they are in business, I won't look anywhere else. stayed in the mid-grade lines(karma) and have been impressed with the overall quality, however the speaker wire in the karma line is kinda tough to strip. practice a few times stripping a loose end before you make your cuts and clean up to the amps but it is nice that it's round and will slide thru round holes pretty easy.

otherwise a thumbs up from me on them..

viking
02-12-2015, 09:25 AM
you might also consider using jacketed 4 conductor to make pulling one run a little easier through tower?
Also might come in cheaper overall.

MLA
02-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks, do you have a source for wire? I was looking at Amazon & a seller name KnuKonceptz & they seemed like a pretty good deal.

Just not sure how I'm gonna fish 2 12awg speakers up each side of my tower haha

Just watch, because knukonceptz "good deal" stuff is usually CCA wire.

If space is an issue, use four single conductor 12ga primary wire over two 2-con speaker wire. Speaker wire often times has a thick insulator.

BrettLee3232
02-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Just watch, because knukonceptz "good deal" stuff is usually CCA wire.

If space is an issue, use four single conductor 12ga primary wire over two 2-con speaker wire. Speaker wire often times has a thick insulator.

So make sure it's OFC?

Do I have to use 12awg for everything?

mbusch5
02-12-2015, 12:11 PM
So make sure it's OFC?

I am doing my stereo also and went with knukonceptz wire and so far I am pleased. I do have a question for group...does anyone solder the loose ends of their power cable going into the fuse holder, distro block, or amp which are set screw connections? I started to but can't get the set screw all the way down. I started to drill out space but that didn't seem right so I cut and stripped again and didn't solder and the connection seems good and tight.

Just curious if I missed something.

MLA
02-12-2015, 09:05 PM
So make sure it's OFC?

OFC is better quality.

No, but depends on who things are wired. For the tower speaker and amp setup, you are going to need a 2 conductor for each pod. 14ga will do. For the in-boats on the 400.2 amps, 14ga is fine, but I know they are on the factory wiring and dont recall what size it is. For the sub(s), a single 12ga would do off a 800.5 @ 400W rms.

MLA
02-12-2015, 09:10 PM
I am doing my stereo also and went with knukonceptz wire and so far I am pleased. I do have a question for group...does anyone solder the loose ends of their power cable going into the fuse holder, distro block, or amp which are set screw connections? I started to but can't get the set screw all the way down. I started to drill out space but that didn't seem right so I cut and stripped again and didn't solder and the connection seems good and tight.

Just curious if I missed something.

Tinning the stripped end is ok as ling as the bare wire doesnt shroom out when the insulation is stripped off. Sounds like it prevented the set screw from seating deep enough for the blocks cover to snap on.

mbusch5
02-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Tinning the stripped end is ok as ling as the bare wire doesnt shroom out when the insulation is stripped off. Sounds like it prevented the set screw from seating deep enough for the blocks cover to snap on.

Exactly, basically I was trying to put the set screw into a solid piece of metal. Seems like a nice tight fit without soldering and just going with the bare strands, but just curious if soldering the recommended way to go. If people do solder the ends how are they getting the set screw in enough?

brain_rinse
02-12-2015, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't tin the ends. Like you experienced, it makes the connection worse, so no reason to bother.