PDA

View Full Version : Carpet removal- specifically carpet glue removal

kaneboats
02-10-2015, 05:49 PM
OK, this stuff is as nasty as the platform pad adhesive, if not worse. I thought I used mineral spirits on the platform but it's not working on the carpet glue. If you did this, what did you try and what worked best? What kind of scraper did you use? Any other advice or recommendations? Thanks to all!

moombadaze
02-10-2015, 06:32 PM
think I used straight regular gas when I did my pad

wolfeman131
02-10-2015, 06:36 PM
No nasty chemicals required.

Get one of these scraper tools that go in your reciprocating saw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111562370004

pour some boiling water on the glue and let it sit for a few minutes. the glue will become pliable and the scraper will make quick work of it.

valleywine
02-10-2015, 08:01 PM
I used mineral spirits then acetone to clean everything up. It all came off with a little elbow grease. My floor has gelcoate though. Not sure how it would work w/ the black subfloor material. I found that if you paint it on and let it sit for 5-10 mins it came off easier.

VA LSV
02-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Ditto on the mineral spirits then acetone.

I really like that spyder scraper!

Rakkasan
02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
I used GOOF OFF when I pulled my carpet along with a good plastic scraper. Believe it or not but goo gone also works pretty good. The trick I learned with the GOOF OFF is get some good shop rags, the disposable kind like heavy duty paper towels. Where the glue is thick Pour the GF on the glue and let it sit for a minute and it will loosen the glue enought to scrape off. When the glues thin soak the rag and get to rubbin and it will pull it all off. When the rag fills with the glue toss it and start again.

Really good TriCep and shoulder workout.

Are you HydroTurfin the floor? If so let me know and I'll give you any tip I learned along the way that I didn't post earlier.

kaneboats
02-10-2015, 11:13 PM
I have used goof off before for other stuff and know it's pretty good. Not cheap like mineral spirits though. I loaned out my sawzall and never saw it again so I don't have one to use the scraper in-- although that looks cool as heck. Gonna be elbow grease for sure.

And, yes-- going hydroturf for all the visible floor.

beat taco
02-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Acetone it what I've always used for removing contact cement

angelbrown
07-07-2015, 05:58 AM
OK, this stuff is as nasty as the platform pad adhesive, if not worse. I thought I used mineral spirits on the platform but it's not working on the carpet glue. If you did this, what did you try and what worked best? What kind of scraper did you use? Any other advice or recommendations? Thanks to all!

Hi

I have a few simple and easy techniques that help you to remove carpet from the concrete front porch, you can apply any of them

Technique-1) Decide the final goal of your remodeling.

Technique-2)Wear a dust mask if the carpet is very old or got wet
Technique-3) Pull up the edge of the carpet, near any wall
Technique-4) Cut carpet through the knife
Technique-5) Remove the carpet padding underneath
Technique-6) Remove the tack strips, if desired

According to me third and fourth both techniques are best for removing carpet. From this article you can get the complete procedure, how to execute these techniques:- http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Out-Carpet