PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Mobius LS weight with trailer weight?

pmarti15
05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Hello!

I own a 2001 Mobius LS. Currently I tow with a Ford F150. No problem towing. My wife and I are planning to buy a mini-van in the near future. The mini vans were looking at have a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. I know the 2001 Mobius LS weighs in at 2650 lbs. Does anyone know the weight of the trailer or the combined weight? Has anyone towed one of these with a mini-van?

I welcome your assistance and comments.

Thanks in advance!:)

zabooda
05-17-2006, 01:12 AM
I have a 1998 Mobius at a combined weight of 3,200 pounds plus add the accessories and fuel and it would be around 3,500 pounds. The single axle trailer is rated for 3,450 pounds. I tried my 98 Chrysler mini-van with the 3.8L engine and it is doable on well maintained ramps. The front tires will smoke and you'll get an audience. I just use my Blazer and save the hassle. If you have rock or sand on the ramp, forget it. On the roads and highways, I have no problem towing the boat. I would only recommend the all wheel drive mini-van and I would try it out to see if you have any problems.

Buttafewcoe
05-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Recommend a vehicle with tow rating of at least 5000#. Boat, trailer, gear, people, and a cooler or two full of beer adds up quick. The 3500# vehicle will have no 'reserve' (and will prolly be exceeded in capacity). It'll be hard on it. But that's not to say you can't get by with one in a pinch. On a regular basis? I'd be concerned w/ safety.
I upgraded my '99 Ranger to an '03 Sport Trac w/ trans cooler, limited slip diff, and auto trans (tow rating of 5500#). Bought it new as I was positioning myself to get me Outback. No worries (yet?).
Hope this helps
B

Yellowmobius
05-17-2006, 08:34 AM
I gotta say I hate the thought of a minivan pulling a Mobius,
Just the thought makes me ill!!

Yellowmobius
05-17-2006, 08:37 AM
On the serious side when I bought my first Mobius LS I pulled with a S-10 blazer (V6)
It pulled it but it was a lot of weight and there was noticable wear and tear on the blazer mainly the brakes, that is a lot of boat pushing. It was enough to give me the excuse to get a full size pickup!

zabooda
05-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Yea, my Blazer would be marginal for distances because it lacks the tranny cooler but I usually take my motorhome. The minivan actually pulls the boat better than the Blazer mainly because of the wider wheelbase but the front wheel drive is a killer on inclines. If one is looking for a pulling rig you need to look around the parking ramp and see what people are driving. There's a reason why those vehicles are used and others are not.

Smrtz
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I use a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 8 cylinder engine.
Funny when I look around the ramp I see lots of pickups, tahoes not too many Jeeps. The Jeep has way more than enough towing capacity...and is a great alternative to minivans..

Just a suggestion!!

EUSTACE
05-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I also use a Grand Cherokee 2004 V8 HO. It does a fine job towing my LS but I did add a Tibren kit to help out it makes a huge difference (http://www.timbren.com/).

If you are dead set on the mini van I would consider beefing up the suspension a bit.

E

EUSTACE
05-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok lets try that again,, http://www.timbren.com/

Smrtz
05-17-2006, 04:41 PM
ya i dont find any issues but Iknow your boat is heavier than mine.
Im looking into that suggestion all the same because from time to time i do pull heavier loads...