PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum. Tips/Tricks/Advice welcome

Jake
02-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Hey Guys, my name is Jake. I'm new to the forum. I'm in the process of purchasing my first wake board boat. It's a 2014 Moomba Mojo. It's pretty plain, comes with bimini, swivel racks, acme 1235 14.5x14.25 4 blade prop, on board charger, sound package B 2 bow speakers & amp. I've been around boats my whole life, just haven't owned a wake board boat till now. I looked at the boat a few weekends ago, went back looked at it again, then went back and test drove it this past weekend and put a deposit on it. I've done a lot of reading of this site in the last few weeks and learned a lot so far. Any tips/tricks/advice yall can give me is welcome. I am super meticulous about my stuff so I'd like to keep the boat looking as new as possible. I will mostly be using it for hanging out on the water with friends and wake surfing. Ill occasionally be wakeboarding but won't be doing too much of that due to the fact my job is very labor intensive and I can't afford to get hurt. I would love to learn how to slalom, I can kick a ski off now but cant get up on just one. Also want to learn how to barefoot ski that looks awesome.

I'm Looking to do some upgrades to the boat before I ever take it out on the water. The stereo is one of the #1 concerns for me. I really like wetsounds products although they are a little pricey. Im thinking at least 2 rev 8's or 10's. My concern with the 10's is head room. I am 6'1" so the tower without anything on it barely touches the top of my head. Also need a sub. Not sure on the stock kicker speakers with the small amp, would like to replace those with wetsounds also but I'm a little low on funds after the boat purchase. I'm not an audio guru but I can pretty much do the basic stuff, wiring, etc... but I might have to pay a shop to do the audio stuff? I've not gotten into much marine audio stuff.

Upgrades I would like to do

1. At the very least 2 battery setup, Possibly 3
2. Some low cost DIY led lights inside cabin
3. Preferably a 2 subwoofer setup
4. Transom remote
5. Rearview Mirror
6. 18" wheels & tires for trailer
7. More lights for trailer

I know I am missing some things, just drawing a blank right now.

Any cheap "must have" upgrades that you guys can think of that I need?

Sorry for the long winded post, Here is a few pics of the boat.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/georgiajake91/Mobile%20Uploads/20150131_120053_zpsomxns8ci.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/georgiajake91/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150131_120053_zpsomxns8ci.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/georgiajake91/Mobile%20Uploads/20150127_132331_zpsxn75gh7x.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/georgiajake91/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150127_132331_zpsxn75gh7x.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/georgiajake91/Mobile%20Uploads/20150127_132039_zpsce220izf.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/georgiajake91/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150127_132039_zpsce220izf.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/georgiajake91/Mobile%20Uploads/20150127_132347_zps78rzlpeq.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/georgiajake91/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150127_132347_zps78rzlpeq.jpg.html)

bergermaister
02-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Jake. Nice looking Mojo. We'd be more than happy to help you spend all your hard earned $$ and then some!

Jake
02-02-2015, 08:17 PM
@ Bergermaister- Yall have already done some of that and you didn't even know it haha

I am going to swap them for a black trailer instead of a red one, the red seems like overkill since there is so much red on the boat. This is what i want the trailer to look like AFTER I do some mods to it. Not sure if it would be cheaper to order wheel/tires/fenders/lights or just getting the dealer to give me credit on the trailer the boat comes with and ordering a new one to my specs from boatmate.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/georgiajake91/Mobile%20Uploads/mypics008_zpsm2vucwll.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/georgiajake91/media/Mobile%20Uploads/mypics008_zpsm2vucwll.jpg.html)

996scott
02-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the addiction, it is a lot of fun. Spend plenty of time using the "search" button. You will be amazed how much info you can find on what to spend your money on. And as berg said, we will be happy to help.

KG's Supra24
02-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the forum. Great looking boat!

I personally would lean towards the 10's for the added bass and overall sound quality. Perhaps you could mount them closer to the sides of the boat to avoid the head smashing.

As for you list ...

1. 2 batteries should get the job done with the setup you are planning.
2. Tons of places selling. Ozinium is where I bought mine
3. Unless you are craving the look, 1 well executed will be simpler and likely do the job just as well.
4. Hopefully the factory head unit has an option?
5. Several options and a couple threads on here discussing.
6. Haven't pimped my trailer but there are tons of options.
7. See above

Sounds like you will want both stretch and non-stretch ropes as well as a surf rope. Likely need some buoys, group buy on the Exile balls going right now. A couple nice life jackets are always great. Check out Evogear.com for discounts on prior year boards, skis, jackets, etc. Most on here like having location specific volume control (wetsounds 420, exile zld, etc). Ballast upgrades for surfing.

I'm sure there is more! As for must ... you would probably appreciate a ballast upgrade the most if you are planning on surfing alot.

slipperyrockTKE300
02-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Welcome to the brother hood of the kangaroo clan.

Immediately - if not sooner, get yourself a long bladed fish fillet knife and store it in a waterproof tool kit.

Your gonna need that knife when you run over your tow rope.

and you will

we all do it

It's an inboard thing

kriley
02-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Welcome Jake, and your boat is sharp!!!!
You got your boat from one of the best dealers, Atlanta Marine!!!
You are wanting to do basically the same thing I did when WE got our LSV, dual battery set up, LEDs - Oznium.com - best place to buy your leds, I put the Exile xm9s and sub with exile amps in and love the sound - I do bonk my head from time to time on the speakers but just one of those things...

You need to ask for the wakemakers discount code - this will save you money when upgrading the ballast and other!!

Welcome to the forum and if you boat on lanier give me a shout!!

Jake
02-03-2015, 08:00 AM
@Kevin, thanks! You are the one that turned me onto atlanta marine. I talked you at the boat show about the blue lsv, you took my info down and Heidi emailed me about a Saturday demo, I took a ride and started looking around and they made me a good deal on this boat. I know you don't remember, but we were the young couple on Saturday around 12. I don't boat lanier, too wild up there for me. I wouldn't mind visiting once though, Lisa and Heidi sing high praises about you hopefully we can meet up on the lake sometime maybe you can show me around. We usually stick to Hartwell, Russell, Clarke hill, and oconee. Lanier is an hour and a half from my house.

@slipperyrock- I'll invest in a good knife, it's my friends when they pull me that I'm most worried about running over the rope. Good idea

@KG- I will go with the Rev 10's then, that's really what I was leaning towards. As for the rope, I saw on here yesterday someone post a link to a stretchy rope that looks like it will serve my purpose and it's not too expensive either. The buoy balls are a must I hate to see my boat get scratched up. I need to check on Evo gear and try to find a decant surfboard. I have a wakeboard, skis, and knee board already so luckily I won't have to buy that.

@Scott, thanks I've been burning up the search feature the last few weeks

sandm
02-03-2015, 08:36 AM
welcome. you will get lots of advice on how to spend your money on here :)
good looking boat as well.

you'll see a lot of posts on exile vs wetsounds and that can turn into a very heated debate. ultimately both are great products and you will find the forum here leans more toward exile as Brian(the exile guru) is pretty active on here and can help ya out, but I would recommend researching both.
my only .02 to save you some coin/space would be stick to a single 12 under the helm rather than a pair of 10's. properly built and executed, it'll rock and lots of resources on here to help you design and build a solid system that will last for years.

do agree with KG in the surfing and ballast upgrade point. if you are planning on using the boat for that, upgrade the bags first. don't even mess around with the stock setup.

wolfeman131
02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Hey Jake,

Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new boat.

Couple of thoughts:

I don't think you will get the deal you want on the trailer swap. You can order new wheels to bling it up a bit from here:

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/

Have your tires mounted to the new wheels, order a new tire and mount to one of the old rims to keep as a spare.

Then, I'd look into painting the fenders white and throwing some diamond plate on top. I'm guessing you can get all of this done for less than $800 which leaves more $$ for other upgrades.

I'm in Snellville and will be glad to help when you're ready to upgrade your ballast. It's a simple, 4-6 beer job. I like Sam Adams Cold Snap this time of year. :)

I can also help you out with the mirror & surfboard(s).

Jake
02-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Sandm- That sounds good, a single 12 under the helm works for me. Storage space is important as i tend to carry a lot of stuff with me and hate clutter. Thanks!

Drew- I think I will take you up on that offer soon, I don't know crap about surfboards so I'm sure you can steer me in the right direction. Same thing with the ballast system. Snellville is about an hour and 30 mins from my house so you aren't too far away. Thanks for offering to help, I'm sure I'll be contacting you soon!

beat taco
02-03-2015, 12:14 PM
I will do a start battery and two golf cart batteries to run accessories on my next boat. Knife with wrist strap is a must as said!

viking
02-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Echo alot of what has been said:
1.) properly executed 12in at helm saves you some $$ and sounds better
2.) aftermarket wheels and two-tone fenders (or stainless) will make it pop. Add some runway lights to make it different https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=70
3.) Dual battery is a must if you are putting in a system and plan on chilling to some tunes. Do an automatic relay system like Blue Seas https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A
4.) I'd stick with 1 pair Rev10's over 2 pair of 8's and you'll be happy. Can always add another set later if you want.
5.) If your desire is alot of LEDs in-boat look at rings for your Rev10's and RBG coaxle speaker for the in-boats.

bergermaister
02-03-2015, 12:49 PM
One thought on the LEDs, you may want a separate switch for the towers. Sometimes the popo will crack down on you if you have anything going on up there besides your all-around light. Blue or red for example can get you nailed for Impersonating a Law Enforcement Vessel - so I've heard...

Same thing with lights in the bow. Can make it hard to see if you're underway. I'm thinking of adding a dimmer switch for just the bow in mine.

Ya, I know you're not supposed to have anything on besides running lights when you're underway, but what fun is that?!

kaneboats
02-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Congrats on the gorgeous new Mojo! You said funds are a little limited so I would seriously think about the boat stuff first and trailer and bling later. In other words, the needs before the wants. Get your ballast system done right so the boat is fun to ride behind no matter the activity. Get the safety equipment and bumpers to protect the boat. Do your upgrades right the first time even if it takes a while. Never gets old working on the boat. Don't forget to have lots of fun along the way.

KG's Supra24
02-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Solid input on the speaker ring leds. I wish I had done mine at first ... too much trouble to go back and redo.

Badfoot
02-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Welcome aboard Jake. Great looking boat! You'll love it.
There are loads of knowledgeable guys and information available this forum. You can find out most anything boat related on here plus.
Enjoy your new Mojo. Only 3 months away from warm time, at least for me it is.

Jake
02-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Awesome! Lots of great input and reading to do so far thanks guys!!!

As for doing the necessary boat upgrades before the trailer I think you are spot on, that's more important and will make my time on the water more enjoyable I didn't think about it that way. I could always do the trailer later.

My truck is black and I'm thinking about swapping them even for a black trailer that looks exactly like the red, what do yall think? Or should I stay with the red?

I'm hoping I can do a lot of the audio stuff myself I just don't have a clue when it comes to building boxes that's the main thing I would struggle with. I have a great local audio shop I've seen their work and it's good, but also kinda pricey so I'm wrestling back and forth whether to tackle myself or pay them.

beat taco
02-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Black would be my choice

kriley
02-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Jake,

If you need help on the stereo /sub box give me a shout I come to Athens twice a week. Would be happy to lend a hand! I also have quite a bit of the LED lights left from my projects - they are green though...
Also The Southern Surfest is in May on Lake Lanier Would be a good time to learn and find the right board!!!

kriley
02-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Jake,

I do remember you and I am glad you got the boat you wanted!!! I will message you my number, feel free to call me!!! You will always have an invite to go with us!

wolfeman131
02-03-2015, 05:13 PM
My truck is black and I'm thinking about swapping them even for a black trailer

I doubt that you will get them to "swap even" for a black trailer as your Mojo is 22.5' long while the 2015's are 23'.

Jake
02-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Awesome kevin, I'd like check your boat out sometime and get some ideas for mine especially on the stereo and the lights. Surf Fest sounds cool I'll call you sometime soon and we'll get together.

Drew- they have an extra 2014 trailer sitting around that is black.

kriley
02-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Jake,

Great, I will look forward to it!! I only live 10 minutes from Atlanta marine.... Let me know how I can help you!!

muehlcj
02-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Jake,

If you need help on the stereo /sub box give me a shout I come to Athens twice a week. Would be happy to lend a hand! I also have quite a bit of the LED lights left from my projects - they are green though...
Also The Southern Surfest is in May on Lake Lanier Would be a good time to learn and find the right board!!!

No better way to progress and figure out which board is right for you. Def check out surfest. Great boats, boards and people.